Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

All 617s need reaming?

Bill H

Just got a 617-2 ten shot. It shoots great but CCI mini mags stick when unloading. Usually Auto Match drops out. Do I need to ream the chamber? If so what is the correct reamer?

Thanks

After the reaming I took the 617 out today to test ammo.   I shot 100 rounds each of  Federal Gold Match, Federal Automatch, CCI - Mini Mags and Aquilla Super Extra.

I had no trouble getting the rounds out of the chamber until I shot the Aguilla. 

I cleaned the cylinder with my bronze brush after each brand.   That's 10 runs with each brand of ammo with no problems.   After just one cylinder of Aguilla I had hard extractions.  I also had 5 failures to fire with the Aguilla but none with any of the other ammo.

Reaming the cylinder will really help.

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:03 PM, Bill H said:

Did it remove much metal or are things close to start with?

Thanks

It removed so much that I stopped and double checked the part number. It works much better now with less lite strikes and easier reloading.

On 7/20/2017 at 8:08 AM, DS-10-SPEED said:

I have three 617's and generally never have sticking problems. The only time was with a bad box Winchester ammo, I had a hard time putting them in and out. I use CCI, Federal and Remington mostly.

I just got my 617-2 back today from S&W repair. I wore out the cylinder and latch after many thousands of rounds in DA speed shooting, the lock up was getting really loose and spitting lead. They installed a new cylinder and latch, also cut the forcing cone. Guess what? I now have binding cases after fired! I ran 30 rounds through it and had to push the extractor on the shooting bench each time. I'll try it a few more times with cleaning between shoots but I may need to get a reamer.

On 7/22/2017 at 2:00 AM, AzShooter said:

After the reaming I took the 617 out today to test ammo.   I shot 100 rounds each of  Federal Gold Match, Federal Automatch, CCI - Mini Mags and Aquilla Super Extra.

I had no trouble getting the rounds out of the chamber until I shot the Aguilla. 

I cleaned the cylinder with my bronze brush after each brand.   That's 10 runs with each brand of ammo with no problems.   After just one cylinder of Aguilla I had hard extractions.  I also had 5 failures to fire with the Aguilla but none with any of the other ammo.

Reaming the cylinder will really help.

Or better yet--quit using Aguilla!  

On 7/31/2017 at 5:20 PM, DS-10-SPEED said:

I just got my 617-2 back today from S&W repair. I wore out the cylinder and latch after many thousands of rounds in DA speed shooting, the lock up was getting really loose and spitting lead. They installed a new cylinder and latch, also cut the forcing cone. Guess what? I now have binding cases after fired! I ran 30 rounds through it and had to push the extractor on the shooting bench each time. I'll try it a few more times with cleaning between shoots but I may need to get a reamer.

I cleaned it with a spiral brush real good and shot at my local pin shoot last night, it no longer binds. I'm good to go with the new cylinder.