Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Has anyone fit a 2011 frame to an existing 1911 slide? (x-post from "1911-style Pistol"

R34PER

I am considering purchasing a CK Arms classic wide body 2011 frame and fit it to my Springfield Armory Loaded 1911. If anyone has read my previous thread I am looking to try out limited but have a limited budget. Has anyone done this? 

The lockup on my SA is fantastic, so my thought would be to adjust the CK frame's rails/lug to fit the slide/barrel. Is this possible? I know building a whole new gun you would typically fit parts the other way around.

One version of the parts list I was considering is:

• Wilson Slide Release
  • Wilson Disconnector
  • Wilson Ejector
  • Wilson Hammer
  • Wilson Mainspring Housing
  • Wilson Pin Set
  • Wilson Hammer Strut
  • Wilson Plunger Tube
  • Wilson Plunger Assembly
  • Wilson Sear
  • Wilson Spring Set
  • Wilson Thumb Safety
  • EGWJEM Grip Safety
  • Pheonix Trinity Aluminum Grip
  • CK Arms Classic Frame
  • Wide Body Grip Brushings
  • SVI 2011 Trigger + Insert
  • STI 2011 Mag Release

The total parts cost would be around $800. Although I still haven't decided on a magwell and magazines yet. The lower would also be in .45acp to match the slide/barrel. I've read all the comments in the past regarding .45acp in limited and not looking to debate that here.

Yes I have. I did basically the same thing last year and use it for limited now.  I bought a para pro comp 40 slide and match barrel and put it on the CK arms classic frame.  Runs great and got into limited for about $1400 with mags.  Tricky part is fitting frame to slide. I assume your frame is new. It came out better than box but not as nice as I hoped. Running it in the raw this season and will hard chrome the frame at end of season.  Will post pics when I get a chance. 

Edited by jwhittin
Clarity

1 hour ago, jwhittin said:

Yes I have. I did basically the same thing last year and use it for limited now.  I bought a para pro comp 40 slide and match barrel and put it on the CK arms classic frame.  Runs great and got into limited for about $1400 with mags.  Tricky part is fitting frame to slide. I assume your frame is new. It came out better than box but not as nice as I hoped. Running it in the raw this season and will hard chrome the frame at end of season.  Will post pics when I get a chance. 

Awesome thanks for the input! Would definitely like to see some pictures. What was tricky about fitting the frame to slide?

Yes, you are correct the entire bottom half of the firearm would be brand new parts. Also, I planned on parkerizing the parts myself to match them to the slide and save cost.

When you say it came out better but not as nice as you hope, can you elaborate what you mean?

I wasn't able to ensure perfect frame to slide trueness even using a frame fitting jig. Had to manually remove a couple high spots and just went a tiny bit too far. Should have stopped when it was snug and then hand lapped it. Still got a smooth fit with just slight movement. I prefer no movement and glass smooth fit for my competition guns. 

Besides the front not lining up, the rear of the slide overhangs about a 16th of an inch and is not blended to the frame.  Both are purely cosmetic. Nothing I can do about the front and I don't  want to refinish the slide so it's good for now. 

A couple notes. I went with the Briley spherical ring and barrel bushing. Easier to install and works great. You can order one at powerfactorshooting.com

I prefer a flat trigger but the SVI trigger and insert is pricey so I use the curved STI trigger but installed a steel bar into it. Don't know if you noticed that.  I like it a lot. It gives me better trigger feedback than just the flat (and much wide) triggers. 

16 minutes ago, jwhittin said:

I wasn't able to ensure perfect frame to slide trueness even using a frame fitting jig. Had to manually remove a couple high spots and just went a tiny bit too far. Should have stopped when it was snug and then hand lapped it. Still got a smooth fit with just slight movement. I prefer no movement and glass smooth fit for my competition guns. 

Besides the front not lining up, the rear of the slide overhangs about a 16th of an inch and is not blended to the frame.  Both are purely cosmetic. Nothing I can do about the front and I don't  want to refinish the slide so it's good for now. 

In terms of function, reliability, and accuracy did you have any issues?

I didn't realize the match barrel I bought was drop in. Wasn't happy with the accuracy at first. It had front to back and side movement so I had the hood welded for $30 and I refit the barrel snug.  Now able to get about 1.5" bench group at 15 yards. 

Last round in mag doesn't feed sometimes. I still need to tune my mags so that may be the problem. Im using STI mag body with Gram guts and Dawson base pads.  20 reloadable before tuning.  

Im also running a Springco recoil system with a 10# spring. Runs very smooth.