Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun? Make a pistol hot while in a stage?

Shot my first match this past weekend and  had a blast!...but something about this call didn't seem right?

stage had (4) paper targets thru windows on left, center, and right sides with Texas Stars down alley ways on both sides of the middle wall with table in front.  Engage all (12) paper and proceed to either steel is the cliff notes version of the stage description...

Anyway a pretty good shooter staged his shotgun at the table but failed to load his pistol in his holster prior to starting.  After finishing the paper he dumped his rifle and started hammering away at the star with the shotgun and had some tough luck.  He took 2.5 times the shoots at the left star he anticipated before clearing it and heading to the final one.  Once he got there he realized he only had (2) shells left.... he then asked if he could make his pistol hot, since it was holstered and he had several mags on his belt, the answer for the RO was no! He finished up with (2) shotgun blast at the star and took (3) FTEs.

Obviously the lesson is don't start a stage without a hot pistol....but what is the reasoning for not being allowed to slam in a mag and rock and roll???

Unless it was specifically a Shotgun/Rifle only stage or it was in the stage description that you must choose which 2 guns to use before, I fail to see why the RO wouldn't allow him to load his pistol on the clock. Don't know of any ruleset that would forbid it

Upon further review of the stage descption it does say pistol may be staged on table or holstered loaded on safe.... so I guess that's why he made that call 

side note I can't find any info on how to post a picture or I'd share the stage schematic and descpition, can somebody point me in the right direction 

1 hour ago, RJH said:

If the pistol was a legal gun per the WSB, then I really don't know why the RO would not have allowed it to be used. 

I can't figure it out either. How is loading on the clock any different than reloading on the clock. If you fail to load when the "make ready" command is given you are penalizing yourself in time waisted. If the WSB allows use of that gun I would have let him do it. There is no competitive advantage over someone who loaded it at the "make ready".

That call makes no sense to me either. Granted, I wouldn't have asked. I would have drawn, loaded, and started shooting.

Pretty sure I'd take that one to the MD for clarification.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

My question would be does he have a place to safely dump the shotgun to transition to the pistol? If he is at the end of a run with no dump barrel for the shotgun, what does he do with it?

gerritm

On 8/9/2017 at 6:14 AM, gerritm said:

My question would be does he have a place to safely dump the shotgun to transition to the pistol? If he is at the end of a run with no dump barrel for the shotgun, what does he do with it?

gerritm

This would be the only issue I could see preventing use of the pistol. And, even then, depending on where he could get back to and dump the shotgun in an appropriate location, it might still be worth it.

If there was no dump barrel and the shooter was just going to try to hold both guns and engage targets SHO with the pistol, I believe that does break 3GN rules...

Guessing there may be some important info missing in the OP regarding all the details of the situation.

I have occassionally chosen to skip loading my pistol at the "make ready" command so that I wouldn't DQ if it happened out of its holster on my way through the stage. Only takes a couple steps worth of movement to get pistol unholstered, loaded, and charged.

Either the call referenced in OP was just plain bad, or there was something else in play to make the RO say no.