Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

147 gn Xtreme bullets for open 38sc

k1llapanda

Anyone ever tried loading for supercomp with 147 gn bullets to make major. Just wondering cuz I got a few thousand laying around and having bad luck with my other bullets. Also anyone use polycoated (eggleston 124 gn) for open major with 38sc 

Search has been useless for me. Too much 9mm and nothing I saw on SC

Thanks

I don't think extremes plating would hold up. I've never tried it though. Might be fine since you would be using a slower powder. I've heard of them tumbling with tightgroup but have never seen it. 

I've done it in 9 with 7gr of 3n38. Plated bullets are fine, can't really push a 147 fast enough to strip them. If I had to do it in 38 I would say start about 6.8gr of 3n38 and work up slowly watching for pressure. 

I tried poly coated bullets for Open.  The coating was flame cut during firing and a lot of lead was deposited in the comp.  Although a different type of poly coating may work, I just gave up and now use only plated or jacketed for Open.

Look at several reloading manuals for data.  With SC you can see several +P loads with a 147 that make Major under max pressures.  I happen to like Silhouette.  The manual says 6.7gr under a 147 jacketed makes 175PF.

Hello: Anything that is loaded for 9mm major can also be loaded for 38SC. KC does use 147's by Atlanta Arms but they are 9mm. I would just use jacketed bullets for matches and coated/plated for practice if you want to save a little. Berry's makes some good plated bullets. I am using Acme coated bullets also, but again for 9mm major. I mostly use Montana Golds. Thanks, Eric