Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Will the shodow 2 make you slower?

jeremy kemlo

I had shot a friends cz sp-01 with the Cgw pro package. I really liked the trigger and the improvement in accuracy over my M&P pro. So I have been looking into getting a cz for my next production gun. I have been looking at the cz sp-01, sp-01 shadow, and the shadow 2 (with work done by cgw on whichever I chose)

When i was at the store today I happened to see a magazine that had the cz shadow 2 on the cover. What I found interesting was the two test the the editor had done. He shot his cz sp-01 and shadow 2 back to back. One drill was 6 or 7 shots  (i dont remember the exact specifics) on a uspsa target.  The shodow 2 was faster and had a much smaller group. I guess this would be expected from a heavier gun and a higher grip. The next drill had several steal targets spread out. He again shot 6-7 round, one on each target. The shadow 2 was now slower. I guess this would also be expected. A heavier gun is slower to transition between targets. It would seem from this very small test that a lighter gun may be faster over all. Is the shadow 2, too heavy?

My M&P pro is lighter than both of these guns so I am guessing my transitions between targets will be faster. Where is the happy medium? Is it the plastic guns, the sp-01, or is the shadow 2 with its weight the real winner. I would love to here some feedback from someone who has given this a real world test in a match or through multiple drills. Light, medium or heavy gun?

Yes, it will be slower to transition. No, it will not impact you. You see a healthy mix of steel guns and plastic guns at the top of Production Nationals for a reason. The gun still doesn't matter. 

The opinion of a magazine editor is worth... well, very little. 

25 minutes ago, jeremy kemlo said:

The editor had shot uspsa for 10 years I believe. 

I was watching Top Chef once, and they had on a singer (don't remember who) as a celebrity guest judge, which they don't normally do.  In the judging, the chefs and professional food critics gave their assessments first, praising some dishes, trashing others.  When they were done, and it was the singer's turn, she said "I have no idea what you people are talking about, everything here was amazing."  And the host, Tom Colicchio, had to address it, and he  went with honesty, saying something to the effect of "Okay, what's going on here is that we are producing a TV show, and we have to have winners and losers, so it's pretty much our job to split hairs and make a big deal of tiny differences."  

It's the magazine writer's job to split hairs and make a big deal of small differences. ;)  

You treat light weight guns a little differently than heavier guns. The need force in different places and times. When you learn how much more muscle it takes to move the heavier gun around then you gain the benefit of the faster splits normally afforded from the heavier gun.

The heavier gun feels harder to move around, thankfully that can just be overcome with simple muscle and effort. For the same amount of grip effort I get better splits simply from being able to pull the trigger faster on better sight alignment/sight picture.

Yes, you might be slower at first but not in the long run if you work at it. (kinda like any gun swap)

I will also always choose the Shadow 2 over the 1 if I can. To me, it is that much better even this new in it's development cycle.

As for real world test I did just what you're talking about. Because I wanted to be sure about what I was doing when I was thinking of no longer shooting my beloved Accu Shadow and switching to the Shadow 2.

So got my three rigs together for my Glock 34, Accu Shadow and Shadow 2. I made a spread sheet for the tests, times, hits, hit factors and such.

I wanted to finish this up in an afternoon so I only did a handful of tests. 1 shot draw at 10y. 2 shot draw at 10y. 4aces at 10y. Bill drill at 10y. El Pres at 10y. 2 each near to far at 10, 15 and 20y. same thing far to near. head shots only near to far on the same 10, 15 and 20y. freestyle on 10y, strong hand only on 15 and weak hand only on the 20.

I shot the accu first, then the shadow two and the glock third. each gun was better in different places, in that  no single gun won every test for me. but the shadow 2 won more of the what i'd call "harder" tests i did. so i chose it and have been both physically and mentally confident in it and my choice now. That kind of confidence is priceless.

8 hours ago, rowdyb said:

As for real world test I did just what you're talking about. Because I wanted to be sure about what I was doing when I was thinking of no longer shooting my beloved Accu Shadow and switching to the Shadow 2.

So got my three rigs together for my Glock 34, Accu Shadow and Shadow 2. I made a spread sheet for the tests, times, hits, hit factors and such.

I wanted to finish this up in an afternoon so I only did a handful of tests. 1 shot draw at 10y. 2 shot draw at 10y. 4aces at 10y. Bill drill at 10y. El Pres at 10y. 2 each near to far at 10, 15 and 20y. same thing far to near. head shots only near to far on the same 10, 15 and 20y. freestyle on 10y, strong hand only on 15 and weak hand only on the 20.

I shot the accu first, then the shadow two and the glock third. each gun was better in different places, in that  no single gun won every test for me. but the shadow 2 won more of the what i'd call "harder" tests i did. so i chose it and have been both physically and mentally confident in it and my choice now. That kind of confidence is priceless.

rowdyb  thanks for the great feedback. That is exactly what I was looking for. Do you think the shadow 2, since it is so early in the development cycle will have any changes made to it in the near future? 

No, but I hope to see more parts specific to it, rather than just a "well SP01 Shadow stuff fits, so just use it" for things like hammers and sears and disconnectors and triggers.

I've heard from more than one person, and experienced it myself, that you can get a super amazing feeling trigger on the Shadow 2 doing what we've always done on a Shadow before, but just not getting the same numbers on the trigger gauge.

Honestly, the best trigger I felt was from a guy who said he just took everything he possibly could out of his old accu shadow and put it in his Shadow 2. Rather than modding new parts and dumping them into the Shadow 2. (I've probably tried 20 different people's Shadow 2 triggers for comparison)

ps-if you want, I can still call you later tonight?

Shadow 1 or 2 you really can't go wrong, but i woud skip the SP-01 in favor of the shadow. The used shadows can be had for a steal if you time it right where the 2 will come at a premium. i'm the type of person who would rather have a used gun a 30-40% off new and so I opted for a Shadow this past winter. Saved roughly 40% of what it would have cost me new.