Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 IDPA Nationals

That shot to the left of the left hay bale? Most in my squad shot just did body shots straight through the hay and had scoreable hits in the body down zero with little muss or fear of a 20 yard head shot. The dudes who shot 4 as insurance felt kinda silly having 4 -0 hits in the body once they walked down hahhhaha.

And thank you, mission accomplished as it were.

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

That shot to the left of the left hay bale? Most in my squad shot just did body shots straight through the hay and had scoreable hits in the body down zero with little muss or fear of a 20 yard head shot. The dudes who shot 4 as insurance felt kinda silly having 4 -0 hits in the body once they walked down hahhhaha.

And thank you, mission accomplished as it were.

Was hoping someone in our squad would shoot body to verify they would score good. Everyone went headshot though.

Was a odd match with no hard cover, steel or movers. Didn't feel that there many places to make up time. Mostly came down to stage 12 standards and not face planting in the mud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:23 PM, Bill Nesbitt said:

I just watched Rowdy's video. Anybody else think it looked like USPSA/IPSC stages? ;)

Yes, I did. After I shot one local match with the new cover lines (foot faults) it was immediately apparent that IDPA would no longer be shooting from cover. The old shoot them as you see them no longer applies since if you position yourself right on the cover line you can often see them all and have to remember what order to shoot them. I didn't have enough interest left in me to go to the Nats this year, first one that I missed in the last 14 years.

1 hour ago, Gregg K said:

Yes, I did. After I shot one local match with the new cover lines (foot faults) it was immediately apparent that IDPA would no longer be shooting from cover. The old shoot them as you see them no longer applies since if you position yourself right on the cover line you can often see them all and have to remember what order to shoot them. I didn't have enough interest left in me to go to the Nats this year, first one that I missed in the last 14 years.

A lot of this has to do with who’s running the matches. Fault lines can be placed so that you have a ton of room to engage targets or they can be placed in a way that it’s a PIA to engage what you need.

Not to change the subject, but are you still shooting with same crew down in Austin and S.A.?

1 hour ago, Bill Nesbitt said:

Looked like an awful lot of running. Is there still a limit on how far you are supposed to have to move in a stage?

Yes, there is still a limit. I looked this one up and found..

6.6.12 Required shooter movement under their own power of more than 10 yards between firing points is not

permitted. Total required shooter movement under their own power of more than 20 yards is not permitted

2 hours ago, v1911 said:

A lot of this has to do with who’s running the matches. Fault lines can be placed so that you have a ton of room to engage targets or they can be placed in a way that it’s a PIA to engage what you need.

Not to change the subject, but are you still shooting with same crew down in Austin and S.A.?

It looks like now instead of subjective cover calls we have subjective placement of the fault lines defining cover. It would be nice to come up with a way of mandating where the lines would be placed so that we don't have a wide array with the line set for the innermost target and ending up with USPSA firing positions.

To your other question, I haven't been to Austin much or shot much IDPA in San Antonio the last year. I have been kicking back and enjoying some Steel Challenge shooting and putting on a monthly steel match in Bandera. The steel has been fun, no thinking, planning, and no arguments over rules, just listen for the beep and step on the gas. I think it was Max Michel that said it was drag racing with a handgun. It's been a nice change for a while. I'm a firm believer in doing what's fun and gives you some enjoyment. When something loses its fun factor I do something different.