Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle build done, couple questions and tuning

NorthernDude

Hey guys,

Just finished my first AR build, well 99.5%

Everything went pretty smooth minus I couldn't get the Elftman service trigger and the bolt to play nice, wouldn't rack more than 1.2" back. 

Art at Elftman ended up telling me to shave a little off the face of the hammer, little dremel file and polish and everything seemed to work just fine, still haven't put any live rounds down range just yet

So couple questions,

1 I'm trying to do this thing right, is there a hard and fast method to adjust the butt plate, comb and optics for my geometry?

2 does the spacing on the rings to the jpoint on the rail look too tight?

3 I had the lower type III hard anodized, turned out a little more gloss than the rest, matches the heat sink and the scope so I'm fine with it looks wise, but is that unusual for a type III job?

4 does the primer strike look good enough?

5 Should I send the trigger back to elftman for recoating, or is the polished face on the hammer fine?

And last but not least, I have a little rattle between the upper and lower, about the same as I've seen on some new M&P 15s at the local gun shop,  I'd like to take that rattle out, I was thinking about some very small Teflon shims by the sides of the front pin and maybe a wedge in the rear, any suggestions?

Sorry for all the questions, still kinda new at all of this!

Thanks

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Does this sound about right for adjusting length of pull?

Think I found what I was looking for, adjustment write up, it's for more of the McMillan stocks, but should still hold true for us right?

"Length of Pull

Proper eye relief is crucial to rapid target acquisition. The weapon needs to fit you, not vice-versa. With the proper length of pull you will have better site acquisition, comfort and control of your weapon. 

This all adds up to better accuracy and more targets hit! Standard length of pull is 13 1/2?. We can build your stock as short as 11? and as long as 15?.

To measure your length of pull you should measure from the pad of your index finger to the inside of your bicep. It is important to make sure your index finger is in the position as if you were shooting the gun.

In this photo you will see that the L.O.P measurement is 13 5/8?. 
That means a 13 1/2? L.O.P on the gunstock will work just fine!

DSC07061.jpg

Length of Pull
To check the length of pull on your rifle you should make sure your rifle is unloaded and safe to handle. Grip the rifle with your finger on the trigger. Lay the butt stock in the inside of your forearm, with the butt pad in front of your bicep. the recoil pad should just touch your bicep. If you hunt in cold weather you should subtract for clothing. Winter shooting would be a ball park of about an eighth of an inch."
"
http://accurateinnovations.com/options/length-of-pull/

So.. Basically adjust your butt pad so the butt pad touched your bicep and your trigger finger pad is right on the trigger.

Edited by NorthernDude