Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dillon Rifle Sizing Die/ 223 rem

Hello,

Without the Decapping Pin Assebly of my sizing die, Can I still use the die to size just the body/ shoulder without the neck sizing?  what happen was a case got stuck on the die and I cant remove the case, tried all the methods, and secondly might had damaged the Decapping assembly. Managed to acquire locally a Forester Sizing Die, although it chambers using dummy rounds, it doesnt fully seat with my JP ammo gauge. Brass that was sized by Dillon drops freely on the JP gauge. Not sure if I can send the Dillon Die for repair, then again its not practical for shipping since I'm in Canada.

The Dillon size die has a built-in stuck case remover. Read the instructions that came with the die, and we also have a video on our website showing how to use it. If all else fails, contact us for a return authorization, then mail the die to us. We can remove the stuck case, inspect the die and correct any damage, and mail it back to you.

You cannot use the size die to resize just the body and shoulder of the case. It will also size the neck.

Edited by dillon

All size dies resize the case neck, shoulder, and body. The depriming assembly enters the case neck before it has been resized. It pushes out the old primer on the downstroke of the handle, and the expander ball opens the inside of the resized neck to a uniform inside diameter on the upstroke, as it is pulled out of the case.

The die has almost completely resized the neck before the shoulder section of the die ever contacts the case shoulder.

All removing the decapping assembly does is make it so you can't decap or expand the neck back to the proper dimension for bullet seating.

Unknown.jpeg

On 7/18/2017 at 9:13 AM, dillon said:

All size dies resize the case neck, shoulder, and body. The depriming assembly enters the case neck before it has been resized. It pushes out the old primer on the downstroke of the handle, and the expander ball opens the inside of the resized neck to a uniform inside diameter on the upstroke, as it is pulled out of the case.

Can you tell me to what inside diameter the expander ball expands to? I put my calipers on it and it read between .221 and .222. I am assuming it is trying to achieve. 002 to .003 neck tension? I am having issues with the cases shaving the copper jacket off of a 50gr VMAX.

The specs on the carbide ball are .222" diameter, +/- .001" . There is always a bit of case springback, so about ..03" case neck press fit. Are you chamfering the inside of the case neck? This is recommended when loading flat based bullets.

Since we're talking about neck, my follow question

is .252" neck OD  that is less 001" of the Saami Spec (.253")of neck OD good to go or should I go for a crimp to .250"-251"

5 hours ago, dillon said:

The specs on the carbide ball are .222" diameter, +/- .001" . There is always a bit of case springback, so about ..03" case neck press fit. Are you chamfering the inside of the case neck? This is recommended when loading flat based bullets.

They are boat tails

ffgats,

What is the inside diameter of the case neck?  Unless the projectile you are loading has a cannelure, there is not much reason to crimp in 223 unless you are shooting full-auto.