Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I beat my shooting buddy in overall %, but he beat me in our division?

Dlister70

I am not sure of all the scoring rules and how the standings are figured out at the end of a match.  When looking at the overall combined match results, I am three places ahead of my friend.  When you click on just the limited results, he is two places ahead of me.  

On the overall, it says I have about 8 more match points than him.

But on the limited screen, it says he has about 4 more match points than me.

How does that work?  I know you can end up getting extra points if you are first in your division on a particular stage, but neither of us took first on any of the stages.  I was higher than him on 4 stages, and he was higher on 2.

I imagine it doesn't happen often (or maybe I just don't notice it when it doesn't involve me!) but I'm curious as to what series of events would make this situation happen.

You are graded "on  curve" vs best the Hit Factor shooter, each stage. On Combined results the curve may be set slightly different for each stage, giving you more or less points, than when your stage is scored just for your Division. All added up the totals could be different. Or something like that.

There is a sticky here about it, but the easiest way to explain it is say you beat him on a stage. You win by 10% or so and get a good chunk of points in your division.

Say the local Open division GM shooter beats you both by double the hit factor. Now your gap between you and your friend is much smaller because instead of you having say 80 points and your friend having 70 on a stage, for example, the open guy gets 100, you get 40 and your friend gets 35, because the Open guy won by so much and shrinks the amount of points you both get.    So now instead of you beating your friend by 10, you are only beating him by 5.