Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red Dot vs Bullseye vs Prima V

Wesquire

Running out of Bullseye and I'm trying to decide on the next powder to order. I've heard a lot of good things about Prima V, but I'm concerned that it seems the new batches are slower and maybe not as good. Bullseye has been fine for me, but it is quite dirty. Any suggestions? I've never used any clays, but should I consider that?

This is going to end up another sound-off thread where everyone just says what they use.

Bullseye is fantastic in 9mm, and .45, and .38, and... everything?  As to dirty, if you're anal about cleaning your pistols, then it doesn't matter how dirty the powder is.  And if you're NOT anal about cleaning your pistol, then all powders are dirty, and it still doesn't matter. ;)

Prima V is good powder, and it's cleaner than Bullseye, but it has not for me been as good as Bullseye.  I personally couldn't care less about cleanliness.  For me, (keep in mind I have no experience with the new batch(es), it is a good 9mm minor powder, but not worth leaving Bullseye for.

Alliant Sport Pistol -- If I wanted to replace Bullseye right now, I would be looking closely at Alliant Sport Pistol and at least giving it a trial run.  The data makes it look great for both 9mm minor and .40 major.  It burns clean.  And the one person I've seen who reported accuracy testing with it had excellent results.

American Select is my favorite 9mm minor powder that people rarely talk about.  Cleaner than Bullseye, and right there with Bullseye in accuracy.  

Edited by IDescribe

1 minute ago, mikeinctown said:

What are you shooting and where are you located? Might be some better stuff out there for what you are shooting and available without ordering.

9mm minor. Arkansas.

Win 231/HP38 or Titegroup would probably be my choice of selection then. Low charges for minor and should be available nearly everywhere without ordering. Plus it is cheap! I haven't seen sport pistol from Alliant yet so can't comment.

I've had pretty good results from Bullseye and 147s.

Red Dot seems cleaner, charge required for 155gr bullet is lower, recoil impulse softer, case fill better, have yet to try it with any normal 9mm weight bullet. 

Titegroup for me is virtually identical to Bullseye, denser, took a tenth or two more to equal velocity just as "dirty".

14 minutes ago, Wesquire said:

Anyone have experience with Alliant Sport Pistol?

A little. I can't comment on cleanliness because when I tried it I used lots of other ammo and did not inspect after shooting the SP. 

Accuracy seems to be good in the 9mm with the right bullet. It does appear to be low smoke.

9 minutes ago, superdude said:

A little. I can't comment on cleanliness because when I tried it I used lots of other ammo and did not inspect after shooting the SP. 

Accuracy seems to be good in the 9mm with the right bullet. It does appear to be low smoke.

6 minutes ago, IDescribe said:

I said Sport Pistol was clean.  It would be tons more accurate to say that it's cleaner than Bullseye, which isn't the same thing as being clean. ;) 

How was the recoil? What charge weight compared to TG, BE, Red Dot, N320?

i just started using Sport Pistol because when the air got muggy with lots of humidity both Prima V and Clean Shot started smoking like a freight train. Sport Pistol is very low smoke and loads just like N320. Fills the case nicely, is relatively clean like 320, low flash and low report and is accurate as hell with most any jacketed bullet i have tried it with. It is priced about the same as Promo and it meters very well. If the boys at ATK were shooting for a cheap N320 i'd say they nailed it.

Made the switch from bullseye to Prima V myself and couldn't be happier. Cleaner, smokes less, scary consistent velocities, and way cheaper. I got the old batch, but I use exactly the same charge weight as Bullseye. It's bulkier to so while you won't be double charging Bullseye in 9, if you use it in anything else Prima V definitely fill the case well. Since the powder is less sticky for me it also is way cleaner on the press even though it fills more.

Other people are having good luck with sport pistol and I'm sure it's great, but I won't be switching anytime soon. I also recently worked up a 45 load with SV and is great as well in more of the clays range. Once I run out I'll have to evaluate, but the Prima family is exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, gtaylor07 said:

Made the switch from bullseye to Prima V myself and couldn't be happier. Cleaner, smokes less, scary consistent velocities, and way cheaper. I got the old batch, but I use exactly the same charge weight as Bullseye. It's bulkier to so while you won't be double charging Bullseye in 9, if you use it in anything else Prima V definitely fill the case well. Since the powder is less sticky for me it also is way cleaner on the press even though it fills more.

Other people are having good luck with sport pistol and I'm sure it's great, but I won't be switching anytime soon. I also recently worked up a 45 load with SV and is great as well in more of the clays range. Once I run out I'll have to evaluate, but the Prima family is exactly what I'm looking for right now.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If I knew the old Prima V batch would always be available, I'd go with that.

3 hours ago, gtaylor07 said:

Cleaner, smokes less, scary consistent velocities, and way cheaper. I got the old batch, but I use exactly the same charge weight as Bullseye.

With most powders, I typoically have SD numbers fall into the range of 4-7, but with Prima V, while I get the occasional 5, 6-10 is what I would describe as the normal range.  That's still okay, but I would describe Prima V's velocities as super consistent.  I don't see SD as super important, though.  I see it as a measurement of how consistent I and my gear are, and it's worth a little self-pat on the back, but not much more.  If SD numbers are poor, and accuracy is good, who cares? ;) 

In comparison to Bullseye, it takes me either .1gr or .2gr LESS Prima V to match velocity.

I have found Prima V to be accurate in 9mm, but not as accurate as Bullseye.

I recently polished off the last of my 20# case of Prima V. I had been loading Bullseye before that. Prima V burns cleanly and plays well with polymer bullets, but metering always seemed funky and took forever to settle down after making a change. I never managed the single-digit SDs that were the norm with Bullseye. This is probably related to the power spillage I'd see in my 1050. On the balance, I think Prima V is fine but I won't be ordering more. I'm planning to give Sport Pistol a try after loading the rest of the Bullseye I stumbled across in my basement.

Now, if accuracy claims came with pictures and references to distance and group size...

Any fast powder from N310 to 231/HP38 will do the job.

For me, accuracy in 9x21 doesn't even start until I'm up to Unique, with Power Pistol giving best accuracy so far (<2" at 25 yards, c-to-c).

If "clean" is important, then look to N310, Nitro 100, AA2, and Competition.

I don't care for any of them except AA2, but they all seem "clean" and they are fast.