Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vortex Optic

Keola5o4

Hi all, I just received a vortex venom as a gift. I would like to use it on my open 2011. I would like to see some insight from other shooters that have ran these because I question the durability of the item. it's more about trying to make a person happy that I'm using something they gave me. I googled all kind of different phrases and that's all I can get is what mount line up with the holes lol! Hoping to here something positive. I appreciate your input and thanks in advance for your time!f36e3e63a1f6366bc4749dbaaf95cc0d.jpg

I use it as a slide mounted sight, so if it takes that beating you should be good with it being on a frame mount.

Also if it doesn't, I've heard Vortex's customer service is as good as any in the industry and will fix it if anything goes wrong. Haven't had to use it so I can't comment directly other than they are pretty well regarded. From what I've gathered if you break it, they'll replace it.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have one on a carry optic gun, and the only fault I've found is the battery compartment.  Threads on the cover have been known to strip, so caution should be used when replacing the battery.  Outside of that, the dot holds zero & is plenty bright 

I tried one on a CO gun, minor PF of course, and it was fine for durability in that role, but the 3moa dot was too small for me. I see they have a 6moa version now. Vortex's warranty is top notch, so use it til it breaks or you want something different. 

I have no experience with the venom, but do with the viper, and Vortex warranty...

I put a 6moa viper on my glock MOS (9mm minor), while my RMR was out for service (my fault on that...messed up the battery contacts) .  I actually think the glass is a bit clearer on the Vortex, and I found the dot easier to pick up.  Then, at about 500 rounds,  the glass either fell out or broke...don't know which.  Vortex replaced it with a brand new one, and even paid shipping both ways, but it did take 2 weeks. 

In the meantime, I got the RMR back, and put that on the gun.  Now that I have some more shots in CO under my belt, I find the RMR dot just as easy to find, so I'll probably leave it on the gun.

Short story...until the glass fell out / broke, I was a big fan of the viper, and I don't have one bad thing to say about the warranty, just wish I hadn't had to use it.

TobyJ

Edited by TobyJ

Wow! Sorry to hear that TobyJ, would you say using a stationary mount would take care of it a little better? And besides having the glass trouble was their any point you lost zero?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

On 7/18/2017 at 8:45 AM, Keola5o4 said:

Wow! Sorry to hear that TobyJ, would you say using a stationary mount would take care of it a little better? And besides having the glass trouble was their any point you lost zero?

Sent from my KFGIWI using Tapatalk

Well, my two working theories are that it came out due to recoil, or got hit with a piece of brass, and broke.  I suppose either could have been prevented with a stationary mount.  

Other than the glass going away, I had no issues with the viper at all.  It held zero just fine, and I actually preferred some aspects of it to the RMR...to me, the glass seemed a little brighter, and the dot was a bit easier to find when I was first starting out.  

TobyJ

I've had a Venom 3MOA on a frame mounted Open gun for ~5K rounds so far.  I always shoot Major PF loads, even though the majority of the time I'm using it in 3-gun.  After many bumps and dumps in a dump bucket, it hasn't had any zero drift, or any problem.  I'm very happy with it.  I may look at a 6MOA to use on my pistol and move the 3MOA to an offset sight on my rifle, though.

I have a Vortex Viper on a CO pistol. 6,000 Rds. Thought I had an issue the last match. Could not hit some head shots I knew I was capable of.

Turned out to be my load. I had not switched my seating depth back to my pistol load from my PCC load...

All is good again. Seriously thinking about one for my open pistol I am building.

On 7/25/2017 at 7:11 AM, Todd7446 said:

I've had a Venom 3MOA on a frame mounted Open gun for ~5K rounds so far.  I always shoot Major PF loads, even though the majority of the time I'm using it in 3-gun.  After many bumps and dumps in a dump bucket, it hasn't had any zero drift, or any problem.  I'm very happy with it.  I may look at a 6MOA to use on my pistol and move the 3MOA to an offset sight on my rifle, though.

What mount are you using?

19 hours ago, thepunishur said:

What mount are you using?

It is a mount that Phoenix Trinity made as a "generic" mount to accept any of the microdots and my gunsmith finished it with the mounting pattern for the Venom.