Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trigger weight?

1911vm

So I am considering a new build sp01shadow . It will be used for IDPA and production.  If you had two options on trigger which would you choose. 
 1.  DA 6.5 lb.  SA 2lb
Or
 2. DA 5 LB   SA 2.12 lb

Thanks

1 minute ago, 1911vm said:

the options are two different custom builders both are great and the trigger is the only major difference

Are they using same weight hammer / mainspring with those trigger weights?

Option 2 easily. I much prefer a pull between 2.5 and 3 than anything less, and lighter is better in DA to me.

I wonder how they plan to accomplish that though. My guess is that variation is more gun to gun, and weights will probably be similar between the two of springed the same with same parts.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

So I have a CZ custom shadow. their is a about 3 plus lb between DA & SA . I am finally starting to take up the slack before the first shot (trigger prep). so that part is no problem, still having difficulty with one hand and when I am picking the gun of the table or something else . that is why I was thinking maybe get something that is a bit more consistent. And maybe I am just talking out of my @$$. LOL

Edited by 1911vm

Dry fire it in DA a ton and you will get used to it. Or shoot revolver for a while (not kidding, you'll really improve).

Either way you slice it, DA will always be different, just have to practice for it enough and it'll become 2nd nature

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 5:25 AM, rowdyb said:

Feel is more important than the number. 

And developing your skill set you can shoot da sa  without the crutch of the lightest trigger.

I totally agree but they are both need to be ordered and I cannot feel them until they are done. I think I am literally going to flip a coin. they are both top builders. almost the same price I cannot loose  

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 6:10 PM, gtaylor07 said:

Dry fire it in DA a ton and you will get used to it. Or shoot revolver for a while (not kidding, you'll really improve).

Either way you slice it, DA will always be different, just have to practice for it enough and it'll become 2nd nature

I have been dry firing and I am getting much better. Thanks

The one with the higher DA is likely just using a 13lb mainspring instead of the 11.5 mainspring. The 13 will light off anything and is the choice for my local smith at least. The 11.5 will light off Winchester and Federal. (or 8 vs the 11 but the 8 will only work with federal) The SA is the same between the two so (.1lb is almost not going to be noticable) unless one is not polishing all the surfaces they should, the only other thing it could be is the spring.

Edited by mikeinctown

For all the research and going to the lengths your going to get a great competition ready gun... you will likely benefit from reloading a good deal.  I get it is not for everyone but my two cents is if you are going to get really serious about shooting competitively it pays off quickly. If you plan on mainly using this gun, it will pay off in that you can work up a load that you know will work consistently.  You yourself said even Federal doesn't always use Federal primers.  Plus... it's fun.

All that aside, you are getting a great gun and platform no matter which trigger you end up with.  Enjoy it!

20 hours ago, bowenbuilt said:

When the beep sounds you won't know which one you have. Pick the cheapest option and spend the rest on practice ammo.

I hear you and thank you. Totally agree with it makes a lot of sense will do

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:43 AM, mikeinctown said:

The one with the higher DA is likely just using a 13lb mainspring instead of the 11.5 mainspring. The 13 will light off anything and is the choice for my local smith at least. The 11.5 will light off Winchester and Federal. (or 8 vs the 11 but the 8 will only work with federal) The SA is the same between the two so (.1lb is almost not going to be noticable) unless one is not polishing all the surfaces they should, the only other thing it could be is the spring.

This has been my experience as well. I used to trim the hooks but I don't anymore since the difference is negligible when shooting plus I prefer longevity over a slightly lighter trigger pull.