Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 problem, station 1 brass deforming

Could someone help me sort out the following problem please.

Press setup:

Dillon 650 with case feeder (stock.. no NASA space program parts)

Dillon Carbide pistol die set

Magtech CBC brass 9mm

In station one the Sizing/Depriming sometimes deformes the brass on one side of it creating a sharp ridge close to the base of the case (see pictures).

This happens roughly on 1/5 or 1/10 cases.

I have cleaned and inspected the press and still have the same issue.

It is not happening on one specific slot on the shell plate, it is random.

Could it just be that the die is set a little bit too low/deep?

What am I doing wrong and how could I fix it?

Case:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vavjqcoz9sl9t2w/2017-07-15 18.04.45.jpg?dl=0

Space between shell plate and die with case being sized:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3g47wfellypd1z/2017-07-15 17.47.01.jpg?dl=0

Thanks in advance for any hints!

I suggest first loosening the die locking nut so it wobbles a little bit, then insert a case into station one and pull down the handle to insert the case into the die, then tighten the locking nut. The die may not be in perfect alignment and that may fix the issue. If not then the shell plate may not be aligned correctly, there is a gadget you can get from Dillon to check the alignment.

I see that with brass that was bulged a little. I run a Udie so it can get pretty common. I suspect you are not lubing your cases. If you lube, this problem is significantly reduced.

I've had a similar (same?) issue from time to time with Lee dies on a 650 and mixed brass.  I'm wondering if these cases were from a firearm with very little chamber support or very high velocity....

BTW, for me there was no correlation between headstamp and problem.

IMG_6148.JPG

I used to see it when I used Lee 9MM carbide dies.

I switched to RCBS 9mm carbide dies and it hasn't happened since.

The Lee dies seemed a little tighter?  or had less chamfer at the bottom/inside edge?  The Lee dies always took way more force/effort to resize 9MM cases than even resizing rifle cases (except for some of that machine gun fired 7.62X51 brass I bought this spring).

We usually see this with brass fired in an unsupported chamber. The base blows out beyond a point where the size die can squeeze it in, so the brass is pushed down. Sometimes case lube can reduce the incidence of this.One of our UZI smgs does this 100% of the time.

On 7/17/2017 at 0:39 PM, dillon said:

We usually see this with brass fired in an unsupported chamber. The base blows out beyond a point where the size die can squeeze it in, so the brass is pushed down. Sometimes case lube can reduce the incidence of this.One of our UZI smgs does this 100% of the time.

That would, generally only be on one side.

If it's all around the case it's not the/a gun.

I can attest that the Lee size die for 9mm sizes the case nice and tight. On a 45, the Leee and a Dillon are similar and the FCD actually sizes the case more for me, but on the 9mm, the Lee FCD is almost effortless and only touches the bell to straighten it out. Beyond that the case just slides right in.