Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sw686 Competitor trigger pull

Majority1775

I changed springs with the Wilson Combat Custom Tune springs in my brand new SW686 Competitor.

Before

10 pounds and 3 pounds

After

6 pounds and 1.9 pounds

Smooth as silk just a lighter DA pull. $15 and 2 YouTube videos...maybe 30 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Lights off all reloaded primers and factory primers no problem.  Can’t remember if it was 12# or 13# Trigger spring I used but it’s amazing.  Everyone loves how this beast looks and when they feel the trigger it’s DA is so awesome I rarely shoot it in SA.  

I replaced mine with a 12# trigger spring. Hammer spring I just put a little more curve into instead of replacing. Went through the whole gun polishing contact points. Have to say once these guns have a little work done they are so much more pleasant in double action.

I've been down this road with both a Colt and a Smith--I fully agree, it makes an amazing difference.  I no longer recall the spring weights, but there was a sweet spot where the pull is greatly improved without sacrificing reliability (or even having to use exclusively Federal primers).

The reason we used factory spring with more curve put into it was because a lot of aftermarket springs apparently take a set after awhile and no  longer set off all primers. Person that taught me how to do the trigger jobs used to work for one of the big name revolver guys and said they found the best long term reliability with the factory spring tuned. I haven't tried an aftermarket spring so would love to hear some updates on this over time.

I like the factory springs the best, but Wolff springs are pretty good too. A properly heat treated spring can be bent some and it will stay in the new shape as long as it's used within normal parameters. For a while S&W made some of the springs out of SS. They have an S stamped on them. They don't hold their shape or tension over time.