Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Deciding on Sp01 vs Sp01 Tactical

DementedAntics

I am hoping to order an Sp01 variant tonight and have been reading forums and posts from all areas of the internet and cant seem to find good data that is non-conflicting. I feel like i am leaning towards the tactical variety for the decocker, i should note this gun will be used mainly for IDPA/USPSA and steel shooting. I have seen that the decocker can be made to shoot as well as a safety variant by a few of the gun mod gods (angus, CGW, CZC) to have just as good trigger. The reason im leaning towards a tactical is because i have no prior use/history with DA/SA guns and manually decocking a gun and it seems it would be easiest during the load and make ready portion to just load the gun and decock then holster without worry about an ND. So before i order what is the general consensus here on saftey vs decocker? 

TLDR; Can i achieve the same feel or 95% of the feel of a saftey gun with a decocker for IDPA/USPSA shooting. 

Both are good. with trigger work, both will feel great.

models without firing pin block. SP01 Shadow, Shadow 2 will have ability for shorter reset/less pretravel in SA.

56 minutes ago, eerw said:

Both are good. with trigger work, both will feel great.

models without firing pin block. SP01 Shadow, Shadow 2 will have ability for shorter reset/less pretravel in SA.

Can you achieve a  shorter reset with the regular spo1 with the disco?

Edited by bulm540

Can you achieve a  shorter reset with the regular spo1 with the disco?

Yes but the firing pin lifter makes for a longer reset when compared to a shadow with a fitted disco.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, DementedAntics said:

Shadow and accushadow are not currently in my budget. I had read that the tactical can be made to be as good as a shadow or accushadow with some work. 

By the time you pay for the work to make a SP-01 trigger as good as a Shadow, you could probably have just bought the Shadow...  

30 minutes ago, himurax13 said:

Yes but the firing pin lifter makes for a longer reset when compared to a shadow with a fitted disco.

Ok thanks. Just wondering as regular sp01s  are all over the place. 

23 minutes ago, Ken6PPC said:

By the time you pay for the work to make a SP-01 trigger as good as a Shadow, you could probably have just bought the Shadow...  

Are you insinuating it's going to cost 6-700$ to get an sp01 to the level of a shadow? $600 vs 12-1300$ gun. 

9 minutes ago, DementedAntics said:

Are you insinuating it's going to cost 6-700$ to get an sp01 to the level of a shadow? $600 vs 12-1300$ gun. 

Well, with the firing pin block, it is going to be very difficult to get the trigger of a Shadow...  Not to mention that disabling the firing pin block will make that pistol illegal in a lot of categories.  

I recently went through the agonizing decision to bite my cheek, and just pay up to get what I what.  I had learned that the hard way... I was trying to "upgrade" a pistol to the level of a Shadow, and it wasn't working out too well, plus costing a lot more than I expected when I started down that road.  Once I added everything up, I realized that I was going to have over 1K in that pistol, and STILL not have a Shadow.  So, I found a used Shadow, and bought it.  Could not be happier with it!  

The smart thing to do, is to buy once, and cry once!  (Bet you have heard that before...)  

Edited by Ken6PPC
more info...

If you buy all the upgrades and have CZ customs or Cajun Gunworks do the work, that would roughly be the price tag. A stock shadow is a little cheaper to upgrade but they still could use some work out of the box.

A well used shadow can be had for a grand or less, and one of the factory variants a little more (accu and target) I'd go with a regular safety SP-01 before getting the tactical. The regular can be had for $600 and the tactical costs like a hundred more now. The safety model is easier to work on as well. If you buy the regular you will be polishing and buying the CGW parts which is a $300 bill, plus some grips, springs, new sight set, and maybe a couple other things. You'll have an easy $400 extra in it if you do your own work. I'm still fine tuning the SP-01 that I added all the CGW stuff to. Taking it back down this weekend and doing more polishing as I think I missed some critical areas last go round.

I went with a manual safety version, essentially strictly a USPSA gun so manually lowering the hammer. Decocker would be easier in that regard, but are more difficult to work on. That, and considering I still have the option for cocked and locked (steel), it's worth the hassle to me.

Now as far as vanilla SP01 vs shadow, I've been very pleased with the SP01, but now that I've progressively upgraded it I am wishing I had the shadow reset. Doing it again, if I could have found a base shadow (8-900) I would have gone that direction, but not 1,200. And a year ago they were impossible to find so wasn't even an option.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have a SP01 tactical (safety model) and Shadow 2.  If you are a Product class B (or under) shooter, I doubt the nicer trigger on the Shadow 2 will provide much of an advantage.

Now lets look at pricing (new) for a second.  A SP01 will run ~$650 and the Shadow 2 around $1,200.  Depending upon the upgrades to the SP01, you'll eat into that $550 savings quickly.  The full-on Cajun competition package is ~$400 in house or $300 if you do it yourself and this does not include the 10x bushing, which IMO is one of the best upgrades for the SP01.  BTW, if you are installing the bushing, you might was well get a FO front site too, as you'll need to remove the front site pin to install the bushing.

If you only intend to install a few upgrades on the SP01, the lower cost makes sense.  If you're planning to go the full-Monty with the SP01, I think it makes more sense to get the Shadow 2; keep in mind there's not a lot to change with the Shadow 2.  You can basically run this out of the box.

Don't forget that IDPA will not allow some upgrades to be used, even in ESP.  If you start with any pistol that has a firing pin block, and then remove that FPB, it is illegal in IDPA (and I think USPSA as well)!  If you DON'T remove the block, the trigger will NEVER be as good as it would be without the block.  If nothing else, the reset will be longer, because of the extra action required to lift the FPB.  

Also, watch out for weight.  There has been some mention of the Shadow 2, but it is too heavy for IDPA!  Same goes for the TS and the TSO...  The Shadow Target II is listed at 41.1 oz. in CZ's specs, but I don't know if that includes the magazine or not.  (I have my name on the list for a Target II, but who knows HOW long it may take to actually see one...)  

Please note that I am NOT saying that the OP couldn't just use a SP-01, and be very happy with it. 

However, don't be mislead by thinking you can build a low-budget Shadow by starting out with a regular SP-01.  You may be able to improve it from out-of-the-box, but to get it to the same level of the Shadow is going to be expensive, and you will find obstacles along the way. 

I wish I had just bought the Shadow in the beginning, before I tried "upgrading" a lower cost model.  I would be many $ ahead!  

One more thing...  As Shadow 2's become more available, there will probably be more original Shadows on the used market. 

It stands to reason that the more available, the lower the price will go...  

So, if you can wait, you may find that a Shadow isn't as far out of reach as you thought!  

Thanks for the replies. This will show how new I am to USPSA and IDPA, but I'm not sure what level shooter I am. I have never done a qualifying shoot and the one USPSA match I have shot I shot 49% match points. I'm not a top level shooter trying to gain an edge, I just sold my G19 in order to get more serious and all my research led me to the CZ platform and the Sp01 tactical seemed the best bang for the buck and easy to modify overtime into a gun that can grow with me as I progress in the sport. I totally understand the mindset of buy once cry once. But it seems like to big of a jump for someone of my level. 

Personally, I say go for it! 

I didn't have the funds to buy a Shadow, and so I took a hard look in my gun safe.  I had to part with a rifle that I really loved, but I had to admit to myself that I hadn't even fired that rifle in at least 15 years!  So, I sold it, found a used Shadow for sale in the BE classifieds, and problem solved! 

If I could have kept the rifle AND bought what I wanted, it would have been better, but I am retired, and my funds are limited.  I wouldn't trade back to that rifle!  

I KNOW my Shadow has made me a better shooter, and I'm keeping mine!  

Honestly though, I shot in the same squad with a guy yesterday who was shooting a standard SP-01, and I didn't see much difference in our scores.  My downfall came when I got to handle and dry fire a Shadow.  Nothing else would do for me after that!  

BTW, I got to handle and dry fire my Shadow's previous owner's open pistol.  Almost wish I hadn't!  LOL!  

Edited by Ken6PPC
more info...

25 minutes ago, DementedAntics said:

Thanks for the replies. This will show how new I am to USPSA and IDPA, but I'm not sure what level shooter I am. I have never done a qualifying shoot and the one USPSA match I have shot I shot 49% match points. I'm not a top level shooter trying to gain an edge, I just sold my G19 in order to get more serious and all my research led me to the CZ platform and the Sp01 tactical seemed the best bang for the buck and easy to modify overtime into a gun that can grow with me as I progress in the sport. I totally understand the mindset of buy once cry once. But it seems like to big of a jump for someone of my level. 

Buy a G34/35, some sights, and a connector. I started where you are but with a Shadow. I discovered very quickly I didn't know what I didn't know and that the simpler I could make the equipment the faster I could learn the basics. Your G19 was more than enough to take you to A class. Minimize your upfront expense because the chances are pretty good in two years you'll have changed all of your equipment. 

Your question centered on SP01 or Tactical variant and concerns over manual decocking.  I had the same concerns 7-8 years ago when I began shooting Production division.  I purchased the SP01 and do not regret, in the least, the decision.  I was paranoid for sometime over lowering the hammer.  I picked "pinch, pull, and lower" as opposed to "finger roll".  Learned how to do the technique, and do it slowly, deliberately, and exactly the same way each and every time I lower the hammer.  Never a problem.  Nearly eight years later, I do the technique the same way -- slowly and deliberately with my focus on the task and my mind not wandering.  

After working more Production nationals, local matches, and Level II matches than I can remember, I have never seen anyone have an AD on the MR command and using a DA/SA pistol.  Virtually 100% certain some have occurred sometime just none that I've seen and I've seen a lot of CZ Production shooters. 

Trigger in the DA/SA will be slightly better than a tactical.  But, is the difference functionally different enough that one pistol is better for competition than the other?   That discussion won't be resolved no matter how many cases of beer are consumed while beating it to death.  ;-)

Either will work.  If you are an occasional shooter and do not dry fire a lot, then the maybe the tactical is a better choice.  If you are a serious shooter who is trying to be the best you can, then maybe the DA/SA is the best choice. 

I suspect in reality there is no wrong decision here.

Gene is right...  There ARE no wrong decisions, and we got you sidetracked on the Shadow discussion.  

I wouldn't worry about lowering the hammer.  It is easily done, and is only likely to be a problem if you aren't paying attention to what you are doing. 

And, if you aren't paying attention, you probably shouldn't be shooting anyway!  

Buy what you want!  You are likely to change your mind many times over, and that just leads to...  MORE GUNS!  LOL!  

Use the roll method to decock. Practice it. You won't have an issue like you think.

If you can't afford a shadow now, keep waiting, save up. Just shoot what you have now. It's most likely not holding you back. Buy once. Having owned nearly every variant, shadow is the way to go. 

Edited by Polymer

I have seen several good production shooters using a standard SP01. The differences between a nicely modded SP01 and a nicely modded SP01 Shadow are difficult for most people to notice. At speed, I doubt most shooters could tell the difference. 

Since we do not reholster on the clock, take your time when manually decocking.