Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Abandoned firearm DQ?

6 hours ago, RiggerJJ said:

Usually, rules are published on the matches website. RM3G rules are, not far from the application.

JJ, I've read your rules, were easy to find. Most guys put the link on the main page to the rules.

Also most outlaw matches the basic safety rules are pretty much the same. 3 gun presents it's own challenges that USPSA pistol does not. 

The reason many outlaw 3 gun matches went to if the abandoned gun falls out of the barrel is many people spend big money and travel quite a ways to shoot a big 3 gun match. Now a stage DQ takes you out of any decent running for the finish, you can at least shoot the rest of the match.

Edited by The Donald

On 8/25/2017 at 2:10 PM, bret said:

I have never seen a published rule set for outlaw 3 gun matches.

Even the regular 3 gunners I see at matches typically don't know the rules and argue over them because they never read a rule book.

I have never shot an major outlaw match that didn't have a published rule book. I will assume that you have never shot an outlaw match, and that's why you haven't seen one...

On 8/27/2017 at 9:07 PM, doubleaay78 said:

I have never shot an major outlaw match that didn't have a published rule book. I will assume that you have never shot an outlaw match, and that's why you haven't seen one...

shot plenty of them and they never had a published set of rules and when asked about the rules, they said they were USPSA sort of but it was basically no rules since they made it up as they go.

I stay away from outlaw matches now.

On 8/26/2017 at 6:23 AM, The Donald said:

JJ, I've read your rules, were easy to find. Most guys put the link on the main page to the rules.

Also most outlaw matches the basic safety rules are pretty much the same. 3 gun presents it's own challenges that USPSA pistol does not. 

The reason many outlaw 3 gun matches went to if the abandoned gun falls out of the barrel is many people spend big money and travel quite a ways to shoot a big 3 gun match. Now a stage DQ takes you out of any decent running for the finish, you can at least shoot the rest of the match.

Stage DQ for a gun that falls on the ground?

Not a match I want to be around.

Just because they spent a lot of money on a match is no reason to relax the safety rules.

3 hours ago, bret said:

Just because they spent a lot of money on a match is no reason to relax the safety rules.

I don't think that's for falling out of the barrel. I think that's for gun not on safe with ammo in it, abandoned in a safe direction...i.e. appropriate barrel.

4 hours ago, bret said:

I don't know of a single USPSA 3 Gun match here in Texas. All are 'outlaw' matches. I really have not interest in traveling more than 4-6 hours for a major match or a bit over an hour for a local match. We have 3 Gun matches every weekend in Central Texas. A lot of the matches kind of morphed a lot of their rules from a mix of 3 Gun Nation modified to the local flavor.

No one says you have to shoot outlaw matches, if you don't want to don't.

The only situation I'm not sure is clear under USPSA rules (or others, at times) is if the dump barrel isn't secured and derps out, thus either breaking or depositing the gun elsewhere. If the shooter chucks their gun across the table like the hood of the General Lee, or Shaq attacks the bucket so hard it bounces out, that's still on them.

2 hours ago, Benelli Chick said:

I don't think that's for falling out of the barrel. I think that's for gun not on safe with ammo in it, abandoned in a safe direction...i.e. appropriate barrel.

In USPSA if you ditch a loaded gun and it isn't on safe it is 30 seconds or 3 procedurals, not a DQ.

My response was about an outlaw match where the guy said it should be a stage DQ if your abandoned firearm hits the ground.

It doesn't take that much longer to safely dump a gun,  if you spear it into a dump barrel and it bounces out, it should be a DQ imo, match DQ.

1 hour ago, bret said:

In USPSA if you ditch a loaded gun and it isn't on safe it is 30 seconds or 3 procedurals, not a DQ.

My response was about an outlaw match where the guy said it should be a stage DQ if your abandoned firearm hits the ground.

It doesn't take that much longer to safely dump a gun,  if you spear it into a dump barrel and it bounces out, it should be a DQ imo, match DQ.

Yep! I agree!

On 8/30/2017 at 5:30 PM, bret said:

I didn't say it should be, I said that is how the rules are here at outlaw matches in Texas. I was surprised when I had a rifle on safe fall out of the barrel that was just about on it's side. I thought I was done for, when the R.O. said was a stage D.Q.

On 8/30/2017 at 11:22 AM, bret said:

shot plenty of them and they never had a published set of rules and when asked about the rules, they said they were USPSA sort of but it was basically no rules since they made it up as they go.

I stay away from outlaw matches now.

What major 3-gun match did you shoot that didn't have a rule book?

Edited by doubleaay78