Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

M&P 2.0 5" 9mm Competition?

Prov1x

Anyone using the M&P 2.0 5" in USPSA yet? If so how do you like it compared to the "pro" model? 

What mods have you done to it, trigger - sear - apex? - recoil spring etc? 

Thinking of picking one up to try out as I used to shoot one back when I first started shooting USPSA. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I bought one and will use it for production here shortly.

I replaced the sear and springs (except for improved striker block) with Apex parts, and that alone lowered the pull to a sweet 2.5lbs.

It groups nicely and I'm looking forward to doing more with it beyond just practice and familiarization sessions. I've already put close to 500rds through it of factory and reloads without a single hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, superslowmo said:

I replaced the sear and springs (except for improved striker block) with Apex parts, and that alone lowered the pull to a sweet 2.5lbs.

It groups nicely and I'm looking forward to doing more with it beyond just practice and familiarization sessions. I've already put close to 500rds through it of factory and reloads without a single hiccup.

Awesome, what weight of recoil spring are you using and what reloads, bullet weight etc? I use 124gr Blue bullets right now in my tanfo loaded short to 1.089oal and I know I used to be able to load pretty long in my old M&P. 

Is it USPSA legal to remove the safeties and use the plugs that you can get from S&W?

Edited by Prov1x

4 hours ago, Prov1x said:

Awesome, what weight of recoil spring are you using and what reloads, bullet weight etc? I use 124gr Blue bullets right now in my tanfo loaded short to 1.089oal and I know I used to be able to load pretty long in my old M&P. 

Is it USPSA legal to remove the safeties and use the plugs that you can get from S&W?

Yes, you can remove the safety and shoot it in USPSA (because it's available without a safety) and the 2.0 is on the current list of approved Production division guns.

5 hours ago, Prov1x said:

I used the factory spring and rod.  I have not had to swap these out on M&P's I have used.  I am loading 124gr Frontier RN TCJ's at a OAL of 1.16.  That is a load I use in all my 9mm pistols with no issues.

I have to defer to Bkreutz on the safety question.  I hadn't removed mine yet because I had no problems getting accustomed to a safety on the pistol after shooting 1911's so much.

I've got mine setup with a Burris FFIII and have shot it in CO.  Great gun with a much improved trigger that will still need some love from Apex.  I still need an uncaptured guide rod so I can mess with different spring weights.  

On July 15, 2017 at 0:24 AM, aandabooks said:

I've got mine setup with a Burris FFIII and have shot it in CO.  Great gun with a much improved trigger that will still need some love from Apex.  I still need an uncaptured guide rod so I can mess with different spring weights.  

Are you using and adaptor, or are CORE2.0s available?

25 minutes ago, GlockCanMan said:

I might buy a 2.0 when they come out in black without the safety.  I think it was a stupid marketing idea to bring them out in FDE first.

Maybe.

You need to remember that we are the minority.  The majority will buy the gun because its FDE, ie tactical.  Furthermore, the majority will buy it because its the MHS submission!

My only gripe with the release of the 5.0 inch guns is that stupid loaded chamber indicator...why?

On 7/14/2017 at 1:34 PM, superslowmo said:

What springs did you change out on your gun and which model springs from Apex did you use. I'm guessing the trigger return and striker springs but Apex said they haven't developed a 2.0 kit yet so it's a hit and miss.

The trigger return spring from the 1.0 generation competition action kit works fine.  The striker spring is a little wonky as it is much longer than the striker spring in the 1.0.  It works but it did nothing to reduce the pull weight in my 2.0.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 0:32 AM, Magsz said:

The trigger return spring from the 1.0 generation competition action kit works fine.  The striker spring is a little wonky as it is much longer than the striker spring in the 1.0.  It works but it did nothing to reduce the pull weight in my 2.0.

I talked to Apex yesterday about what I could use in my 2.0 and they stated at this point the only thing they could recommend was to replace the factory sear with the .45 sear and the striker pin block with their block. They said they were still working on a kit for it and hoped to have one available soon. 

So to update mine I ordered the sear and striker block, warren tactical black rear and fiber optic front, 12# wolf recoil spring and the frame plugs from S&W. Should have everything on and ready to go on Thursday but I am going to go test it out today as is and see how it runs etc with my reloads that I use in my Stock II's at 131pf.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:32 PM, Magsz said:

I found out by some experimenting that the aftermarket captured glock (17, 22 ) recoil spring systems drop right in to the 2.0 5" gun. Also the striker spring that Wolff supplies with the reduced power glock springs drops right in and reduce the trigger pull by about 1/2 pound. 
With the 1.0 comp action kit  (trigger, sear spring swap) and the glock 14# recoil spring and the reduced striker (wolff) I was able to bring the trigger from 6#  to 3.5#, easier racking and a positive lockup. The positive lockup was what I was looking for after changing to a weaker recoil as the last 1/4" was kinda weak when cocking the striker.
I've got about 250 rounds thru it at this configuration and all went well so far. Everything chambered and Winchester WSP and Magtech SPP primers all lit.

Edited by azrik

Ran 100 rounds through the gun in stock configuration on Tuesday. Very accurate with the loads I use in my stock ii.

I took off the safeties, installed the frame plugs. I also installed the apex .45 sear, which made a difference in trigger pull alone. I don't have a gauge but I would say it dropped the pull by at least a pound or more. The trigger feels pretty nice now but still has a little rough spot to it due to the striker block. I am installing the sights and the apex striker block today so that should clean up the trigger nice and smooth as I can tell that is where the rough spot is. 

I had to order the guide rod separately from the rest of the stuff due to only sss having a 5" tungsten guide rod and going to use a 12# wolff recoil spring. Hope to get out and test that next week as that stuff won't be here until then. 

• 3 weeks later...

shot these yesterday at 20 yds with both my Apex barreled PC M&P 5" and my 2.0 5". Ignore the high right shot, I prepped the trigger and "Bang" it went off before I was ready. LOL (we've all done it) The red spot measures 7/8".

This has been typical of the accuracy from my 2.0 . I too had my share of M&P's with accuracy issues, but I'm extremely pleased with mine.

IMG_2686.jpg

5 hours ago, mpeltier said:

This has been typical of the accuracy from my 2.0

I was no longer able to talk myself out of a M2.0 and picked one up. 5". Everything about it is GTG. Ergonomics, accuracy, and trigger. Really nice.