Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

320 Grip Job with slilicium carbide - good to go for Production?

mloch

Hey!

I have done a grip Job on my P320 (adding silicium carbide with J-B weld).

It is a problem ... rule wise ... in USPSA Production ... that the silicium carbide extends up to the slide lock lever?

On the second picture you can see that the covered grip surface extends a tiny bit higher than the Talon Grip Tape.

Just want to play safe before heading to the Nationals later in September.

Thanks in advance!

See you,

Marijan

19905298_1565760283497800_6913868842620449421_n.jpg

19510359_1543767909030371_6712489536913151880_n.jpg

That looks very similar to the pattern I lay down. It should be legal. I have worked on many grips that have been used at Production Nationals and other majors. This has never been an issue. 

You are still in the "grip" area, not an issue. If you put grit on the trigger guard, or thumb pads forward on the frame, it would be no go. But anywhere in the grip panel area should be  fine. The diagram in the rulebook is a general representation, not an absolute.

Yes, you should be good. The rule states that stippling has to follow the illustrations in the book and no grip tape can be applied to any lever or button, up to it but not including it with any gripping texturing/grip tape, you are good. Of course, the official RM at the match is the final authority but according to the pictures you provided, I can't see any RM disputing the legality of your grip.

14 hours ago, mloch said:

I have written a detailed how-to-manual for a german gun magazine as a part of a Glock Tuning Special. I will post the pics here asap ;-)

Thanks! That would be awesome!

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:21 AM, mloch said:

I have written a detailed how-to-manual for a german gun magazine as a part of a Glock Tuning Special. I will post the pics here asap ;-)

I have been doing a fair amount of research on this. Do you happen to have a grit recommendation? I have seen many say 80 grit and even some say to do a 50/50 mix of 80 and 120 grit. I fully understand that this comes down to personal preference but just wondering what you have found that you like. I use pro grip liquid all the time as my hands seem to sweat a lot in the desert so grip tape is my world. But I do not want to go so harsh that I am bleeding after a stage haha.

1 hour ago, mloch said:

Concerning grit size ... I have used 60 grit and it is a bit more coarse than skateboard tape.

I'm getting ready to do this as well.  What kind of adhesive did you use?

8 minutes ago, Sig0431 said:

I was going to share that link as well. Amazon is way over priced. I think I will be going with that website.

Yeah, $4 is very reasonable and we don't need much.  Which size grit are you going with?  I'm thinking I'll order 60 and 80 and make a test patch on a piece of plastic so I can decide which to use.  Maybe even mix the 60 and 80 if I'm on the fence.

1 minute ago, BC27 said:

Yeah, $4 is very reasonable and we don't need much.  Which size grit are you going with?  I'm thinking I'll order 60 and 80 and make a test patch on a piece of plastic so I can decide which to use.  Maybe even mix the 60 and 80 if I'm on the fence.

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen the grips that Alma has but he uses a 30-ish grit that comes with a harbor freight kit, from what I have seen 60 grit looks like what I am looking for and I do not think I have seen a 8 yet but I think that would be way to smooth. I wonder if anyone knows the grit of the grip tape from springer as that would provide a good idea for me. But for $4 not like we would be loosing much money.

2 minutes ago, Sig0431 said:

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen the grips that Alma has but he uses a 30-ish grit that comes with a harbor freight kit, from what I have seen 60 grit looks like what I am looking for and I do not think I have seen a 8 yet but I think that would be way to smooth. I wonder if anyone knows the grit of the grip tape from springer as that would provide a good idea for me. But for $4 not like we would be loosing much money.

Ok, I was curious what the Harbor Freight grit size was.  if it's around 30 grit, then 60 should be good.  I'll probably get the 80 as well only because $4 bucks is cheap insurance in case the 60 is coarser than I'm expecting.  Thanks again for the info.

2 minutes ago, BC27 said:

Ok, I was curious what the Harbor Freight grit size was.  if it's around 30 grit, then 60 should be good.  I'll probably get the 80 as well only because $4 bucks is cheap insurance in case the 60 is coarser than I'm expecting.  Thanks again for the info.

I was also given this link that has some other options for grits.

http://therockshed.com/grit1.html

Just now, BC27 said:

Thank you!  I'll probably get the 36 and 46-70.  

I am placing a order now for 1 lb of 60/90, 36 and 46/70. If you have not placed an order by the time I get it I will take some pictures next to grip tape I have and let you know what I think.