Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

F&FB honey badger trimmer boring bar alternative

3 minutes ago, cvincent said:

Can't answer the question but, why do you guys want the bar over an end mill?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What are the advantages of the boring bar and carbide insert over the end mill you ask?

When an end mill dulls, it has to be replaced and thrown in the "to be sharpened" stack. When a new end mill is installed, the depth of the end mill has to be exactly where the last end mill was removed from. If not, the die cutting depth will change, and as such, the die will have to slightly be raised or lowered in the tool head to accommodate this change.

With a boring bar, when the carbide insert dulls, all that has to be done is to remove the Bosch motor from the trimmer adapter, remove the TS6 screw, and either rotate to a new cutting edge (there are three) or replace the carbide insert. Reinstall the motor, and verify that cut length hasn't changed.

Have you the used the end mill and boring bar, and prefer the latter?
I just ask because I use an end mill on the Bosch router to make 300 blk brass, and I find that the swarf? Or brass shavings get sucked up into the bearing in the router motor. This creates a lot heat in the motor. And most likely will kill the motor and/or bearing quickly.
As far as re setting depth of the end mill I just mark it with a sharpie then use a depth mic to measure its depth. Not too big of a hassle. The motor burning out is my concern. Just curious to other users concerns or experience.

I figure if we can find a boring bar that works well for sub $50 then snag a used bosh routers for sub $100 off eBay we can get an awesome brass trimmer for less than a Dillon ?

On 7/13/2017 at 9:18 PM, cvincent said:

Have you the used the end mill and boring bar, and prefer the latter?
I just ask because I use an end mill on the Bosch router to make 300 blk brass, and I find that the swarf? Or brass shavings get sucked up into the bearing in the router motor. This creates a lot heat in the motor. And most likely will kill the motor and/or bearing quickly.
As far as re setting depth of the end mill I just mark it with a sharpie then use a depth mic to measure its depth. Not too big of a hassle. The motor burning out is my concern. Just curious to other users concerns or experience.

I own a couple Bosch routers and while I dont use them to trim brass, I have worked the absolute crap out of them making mouldings and such, for hours.  I seriously doubt you will kill a Bosch router trimming any brass, ever.  Even forming 300 BO.

On 7/14/2017 at 5:31 PM, Smeeg said:

I figure if we can find a boring bar that works well for sub $50 then snag a used bosh routers for sub $100 off eBay we can get an awesome brass trimmer for less than a Dillon ?

Good luck with that.  If you find one, let me know.

I own a couple Bosch routers and while I dont use them to trim brass, I have worked the absolute crap out of them making mouldings and such, for hours.  I seriously doubt you will kill a Bosch router trimming any brass, ever.  Even forming 300 BO.

Well, it's the brass shavings getting sucked into the bearing that creates the issue. I've verified this when the router was new, Created very little heat after an hour of forming brass. After a while noticed it getting very hot after just 30 cases. I've since cleaned out the shavings and made a disc out of kydex that basically creates a shield from the motor that fits around the end mill and inside the trimmer adapter. Very noticeable difference in temperature.

41 minutes ago, cvincent said:

Well, it's the brass shavings getting sucked into the bearing that creates the issue. I've verified this when the router was new, Created very little heat after an hour of forming brass. After a while noticed it getting very hot after just 30 cases. I've since cleaned out the shavings and made a disc out of kydex that basically creates a shield from the motor that fits around the end mill and inside the trimmer adapter. Very noticeable difference in temperature.

Im assuming that you are using a good vacuum to carry the chips away?  Even still, very interesting.  

1 hour ago, cvincent said:

Does the bottom of your HB have 2 holes (for mounting) or 2 holes and 2 vents?

5 hours ago, cvincent said:

2 mounting holes only.

Put 2 more 1/4" holes in the bottom, 90 degrees from the mounting holes.  They were added about a year ago to allow vacuum to be pulled through the trimmer adapter, preventing swarf pull up by the end mill.

2 hours ago, Wolf856 said:

Use a right hand cut left hand spiral end mill cuts very smooth  does not try and suck in to work pushes chips down.  A number of them can be found on internet.

Any links?

@Brassaholic13 - Any pictures of the new adapter with 4 holes?

Edited by mikeyjones

On 7/19/2017 at 9:49 PM, Brassaholic13 said:

Put 2 more 1/4" holes in the bottom, 90 degrees from the mounting holes.  They were added about a year ago to allow vacuum to be pulled through the trimmer adapter, preventing swarf pull up by the end mill.

Like this? 

IMG_0034.JPG

19 hours ago, Wolf856 said:

Use a right hand cut left hand spiral end mill cuts very smooth  does not try and suck in to work pushes chips down.  A number of them can be found on internet.

Im gonna try one.  Thanks

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 7:34 AM, Tokarev said:

This fellow has a boring bar. I haven't used it so have no idea how well it might work.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F323264406393

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

That's not a boring bar.  That's an end mill with a "socket" over it.

• 2 years later...
On 7/19/2017 at 10:09 PM, cvincent said:

Sorry for necroing a 2 year old thread! 

Do you have a picture of that kydex disc you made??

• 3 months later...