Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Art of Casting Hollowpoints.

Almost all the casting I do now days involves .38 and .45 caliber hollowpoints. I think I pretty much have it down, but the proof is if they expand and expand without fracturing. To insure this, I use a high tin, low antimony alloy. Check these out at from left to right: 224gr MP 454-423 fired from a Colt Gold Cup at 800fps (SWAG), retained weight of 219gr; 165gr pentapoint MP 359-640 fired from a 2.5" S&W 19-3 at 840fps, retained weight of 163gr; and 161gr hollowpoint MP 359-640 fired from a 2.5" S&W 19-3 at 945fps, retained weight of 159gr. I think we have a winner with this lead/tin/antimony alloy of 96.5/3.0/0.5 for sub-1,000fps handgun loads.

Don

Hollowpoint Testing.jpg

11 hours ago, dsa said:

USSR, cool pics.  I have always tried to keep the tin/antimony at a 1:1 ratio for best expansion.

dsa,

Yeah, that's the official line.   However, 2 things come into play here.   If you use a low tin/low antimony alloy at a 1:1 ratio, you tend not to get good mold fill out due to the low amount of tin.   And if you use a high tin/high antimony alloy at a 1:1 ratio, then you don't have an alloy that will expand well at low velocities.

Don