Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Production and getting classified in Limited at the same time?

B_RAD

I've been wanting to try Limited division but haven't got my gun/gear set up yet.  I found out that the club I'm going to shoot at this Saturday is doing all classifiers. So, my question is if I shoot my production set up could my scores also count for limited?  I'd be getting scored minor so that's not optimal and could make my percentage for Limited lower but why couldn't that be counted?

I could get there earlier and shoot the stages twice but I'd still have to shoot the same gear since I don't have a Limited set up.  I'm an M in Production so the worst would be an A classification in Limited.  Plus, I kinda want to try and get an M or better with production gear/minor scoring.

36 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

I've been wanting to try Limited division but haven't got my gun/gear set up yet.  I found out that the club I'm going to shoot at this Saturday is doing all classifiers. So, my question is if I shoot my production set up could my scores also count for limited?  I'd be getting scored minor so that's not optimal and could make my percentage for Limited lower but why couldn't that be counted?

I could get there earlier and shoot the stages twice but I'd still have to shoot the same gear since I don't have a Limited set up.  I'm an M in Production so the worst would be an A classification in Limited.  Plus, I kinda want to try and get an M or better with production gear/minor scoring.

As you say, you'd need to enter twice, once in production and once in limited, and shoot each stage twice for two unique scores.  Production guns and gear fall within the rule-sets for limited, so there's nothing that says you can't to the best of my knowledge. 

Edited by GorillaTactical

Just now, GorillaTactical said:

As you say, you'd need to enter twice, once in production and once in limited, and shoot each stage twice for two unique scores.  Production guns and gear fall within the rule-sets for limited, so there's nothing that says you can't to the best of my knowledge. 

Yeah but why couldn't I just shoot it once and have the scores count for both? I'd have to pay for both. 

1 minute ago, B_RAD said:

Yeah but why couldn't I just shoot it once and have the scores count for both? I'd have to pay for both. 

Ahhhhhhh, maybe you can???  Any time I've ever seen anyone do something like this before (shoot the same classifier for multiple divisions) they have always shot it a second time, including using the same gun, but I'm just reading through the rule book on it, and not sure that it makes that distinction.

6 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

You could just sign up for Limited minor and use your production equipment, but your scores are going to count towards Limited.

As far as using one classifier for both Divisions, no  you have to have two entries in the file submitted to USPSA- one for Limited and one for production.   That translates to two match entries.  Local club would dictate the rules of cost for two match entries.   The club gets charged for every match classifier entry submitted and for each classifier submitted.

8 minutes ago, GorillaTactical said:

Ahhhhhhh, maybe you can???  Any time I've ever seen anyone do something like this before (shoot the same classifier for multiple divisions) they have always shot it a second time, including using the same gun, but I'm just reading through the rule book on it, and not sure that it makes that distinction.

I don't believe you will find a "rule"  that spells it out.  It is all about how the classification system file is read.  You have to have match entries in different Divisions or it would just read whatever Division is assigned to the match entry. You have to create a second entry and the system charges the club for processing another classifier score and the re-shoot is not computed for match score (placement). Reason why most clubs charge for a classifier re-shoot.

11 minutes ago, lcs said:

You could just sign up for Limited minor and use your production equipment, but your scores are going to count towards Limited.

Probably what I'll end up doing. 

Just now, B_RAD said:

If idpa can do it, then it's not really that complicated. 

I didn't say USPSA couldn't do it.  I said you have to have two match entries if you want Production and Limited Classifier scores.  The club gets charged for every entry.  If the local club wants to eat the cost...that is up to them.

I understand the cost for each. Not the question. 

Shoot production. With production gear. Scores also count for Limited. You'll be scored lower but oh well.  Just enter the same exact score in the other "match"  for the different division. I'd pay for both entries. 

IDPA- Shoot SSP and score counts for ESP. 

Edited by B_RAD

I could see that skewing the hit factors for divisions if it was that easy.  At a certain point you could just shoot single stack and have it count for 3 divisions or production for 4 divisions.  I do wish limited and limited 10 were lumped into one tho.  Thats the only instance it kind of makes sense to me.  There is the ocassional classifier that requires a mag change for L10 and not Limited.  So there is that.

Edited by Edge40

• 3 weeks later...

What I have seen some clubs is you pay to shoot the match in say production, and on just the classifier stage you pay for also shooting the classifier a second time in Limited for example. Whatever the classifier upload fee that the club pays, you would pay that a second time to shoot the classifier stage in the second division. You only pay to shoot the match and the extra classifier fee. Usually being able to shoot the classifier in a second division occurs after the match is over, and if there is time/opportunity to do so.  

While not as simple as shooting the classifier once and getting it to count for multiple divisions, it does allow you two chances to shoot it in case you "bungled" it the first time. You only take the "hit" for it in the one division instead of two... 

Edited by Blueridge