Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.40 Minor for IDPA

RangerTrace

I've ordered my new ESP/Limited gun and have a couple months to come up with a .40 minor load.  I read several pages on here, but I'm not finding exactly what I'm looking for.  I have about 5K 180 grain TMJ projectiles and 4 pounds on N320 on hand, so that's probably what I will start with unless y'all have a better powder suggestion.

For the DVC I had for a couple months, 5.0 grains of N320, under the 180 TMJ, loaded to 1.180 averaged around 970 FPS.

I'm thinking 4.0 grains should get me in the ball park.  Anybody else using this recipe?

Also, I've never tried to get a true .40 Minor load dialed in to 130-135PF.  I'm curious if there is any loss in accuracy with the slower velocity?

I use my M&P 40 cal occasionally in IDPA ESP division shooting 175 gr lead bullets and found no falling off of accuracy at 130PF.  I would not think your jacketed bullets shot at the same PF would be less accurate either.  Sorry I have no loads for jacketed 40 cal at that PF to share with you.  I use Titegroup under my lead bullets.  3 grains under the Lyman TC lead bullet does it in my M&P PRO 5".

Take Care

Bob 

I don't do this any more (use major load for IDPA) but a 155g Montana Gold JHP over 4.6g of N320 made 130PF and was silly soft. Accuracy was good.

3.8g of N320 with a ZERO 180g JHP was barely sub-minor

When I very first started reloading Brandon recommended Clays for 40 major and I used it for about 3k rounds without a single issue.  I checked with my local dealer and 8 pound jugs of Clays are readily available for $100.  I would imagine that 40 minor with Clays would be silly soft.......

5 minutes ago, RangerTrace said:

When I very first started reloading Brandon recommended Clays for 40 major and I used it for about 3k rounds without a single issue.  I checked with my local dealer and 8 pound jugs of Clays are readily available for $100.  I would imagine that 40 minor with Clays would be silly soft.......

It is. Around 3.0 grains of clays with a 180 bullet is a giggle load.

obviously, you'll have to chrono it in your gun, since every gun is different, but I shot many 1000's of 40 minor out of my cz75. 3.0 or 3.1 gr of clays under a 180gr plated bullet. extremely accurate. I also used a bunch of n320, but with 165 gr zeros. they took 4.3 gr to make low 130 pf. I'd guess 4.0 with 180's would be a good place to start.

8 minutes ago, motosapiens said:

obviously, you'll have to chrono it in your gun, since every gun is different, but I shot many 1000's of 40 minor out of my cz75. 3.0 or 3.1 gr of clays under a 180gr plated bullet. extremely accurate. I also used a bunch of n320, but with 165 gr zeros. they took 4.3 gr to make low 130 pf. I'd guess 4.0 with 180's would be a good place to start.

Thats about where I was going to start.  Even though it's a very small part of the equation, I may try Clays for my minor loads since I'm going to have to adjust the powder measure anyway......and I've got a couple thousand already loaded of 40 major.

Thats about where I was going to start.  Even though it's a very small part of the equation, I may try Clays for my minor loads since I'm going to have to adjust the powder measure anyway......and I've got a couple thousand already loaded of 40 major.

There's a warning here. The Australian Clays was good for 3.0gr.

The new Canadian Clays needs to be worked up. Check your bottle for which plant it comes from.

RT, if you are considering switching to Clays, I'd suggest you turn to Alliant e3 instead.  You use the exact same recipes as Clays, but you lose the pressure spickeyness near the top, and it exhibits zero temperature sensitivity.  It meters well and burns clean.

Since you have a boatload of 180s, my major load was 3.6gr e3 under a 180 (172PF), and 2.8 for 140PF.    In my pistol, POI is exactly the same at 15 yards, and so is accuracy.  I stayed with 140 because I could  use the same 13lb recoil spring for both loads.

If you want to try different weights you can go down so low it is stupid soft.  For example:  3.3gr e3 under a 135 is 109PF.  Yes, it works.  If it were not for the bang and the sound of the bullet hitting steel you would swear the gun didn't go off.  The same charge under a 155 is 131PF.  It feels great to shoot.  Under a 165, 140PF. 

You can use N320, but for Minor I would go with Clays/Clay Dot or e3.  

Shot a bunch of N320 180 coated with 5.3gr at 1.180" but they were okay.  Much lower than that charge and it would not lock back and I had a couple FTE. 

Expensive powder at 5+ grains, when I could use nearly a two full grains less for Clays/Clay Dot & e3!   

3.1gr Clays at 1.185" with a coated 180 barely functioned for me on cool fall days.  I ended up at 3.4gr to get to 143PF (for me in two different 5" guns) because I just don't like to be too low with 40 Minor. 

Been using 3.4gr e3 for nice soft (not too soft) 40 Minor coated 180 loads at 1.180" and have been pleased.  Jacketed will need more.

e3 also makes a better/safer (IMO) 40 Major load than Clays for the reasons ZZT mentioned above.   

Edited by Yeti

3.6 to 3.7 grains of titegroup with 165s BBIS is an awesome load in my tanfog. Super acurrate. Not as soft as with the 180s but I Iike the faster impulse with lighter bullets.

Edited by bulm540