Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Extended firing pin

twister

2 hours ago, twister said:

Just measured mine at .490, so I guess I would benefit from an extended firing pin. Any suggestions? Where would I be able to get a .510? Thanks for your help, Dave.

Cylinder and Slide pin is .510

Power custom pin is .505

Apex competition is .495

Brownells or Midway or order from manufacture.

for my S&W 929, I tried a C&S firing pin and found it was worse than the stock Performance Center firing pin.  Also, it's not just about length (there's a joke in here someplace .... )  It's the length of the relief cut that's important too.  Also, I believe it's the profile of the pin that hits the primer that is more important.  The S&W one was pointier.   After this test, I never bothered testing an Apex firing pin. 

5967b7895158d_Test2016-01-16.JPG.f8d08478cf9f2f718f538af03dac7df2.JPG

The S&W Performance Center on the left, Cylinder & Slide on the right. 

P1160432a.thumb.JPG.efdfa273e9b3447d7ebb5777bfddbe01.JPG

Edited by VanMan1961

No - many factory ones are too short to provide reliable ignition without a super heavy mainspring tension. Some variables that affect this are endshake, primers seated below flush, rim thickness, etc. The extended firing pin covers the variations. The shortest firing pin that has been reliable for me is .495. That is the longest factory one. I've had factory ones that were .485 or less. I prefer a .500 to .505.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:01 PM, MWP said:

The apex competition pin is federal primers only. 

Could someone explain this? How is it primer specific? I would think the pin's job is to impact the primer so as long as it impacts the primer hard enough, it would work the same for any primer.

Think of it in terms of force, softer material (Federal) will take less force to impact than other primers that use harder material. Hammer a nail into a piece of aluminum and then try the same thing, with equal speed and force on any type of steel, and you will notice that the imprint on the aluminum is deeper.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

After my 3rd Power Custom extended pin broke I went back to the factory pin. Ignition reliability remained at 100%. Better yet, I can now dry fire a stage before starting, which helps my scores.

I found the same thing. Broke 3 C&S pins and switched to the Apex pin and reduced power spring. Funny thing is, now both guns (327 TRR8 and 686P) will shoot Winchester primers 100%. Both were about 75 - 80% before with the C&S pins). Strange, but a nice surprise.

I believe the length over all is only one measure.  The pin that stops travel in both directions fits into the notch cut in the firing pin.  The locational of that notch will determine how far the firing pin can travel as it hits the primer.  So a shorter pin (lighter weight) with a longer travel might be better is setting off primers.  I've been using Apex with good results.  Heard way too much about C&S breakage.

Edited by GMM50
Cleaned up for clarity