Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dented casing...safe to fire? If not how to dispose?

KrymSIX

So I got some new magazines, tinkering around with them and loading them up. Noticed that I actually put a very faint ding into two casings with my uplula loader. These are blazer brass 180s. The dents are maybe the width of a ball point pen. 

Neither feels deep. We're talking like you can just barely feel them with a finger nail. 

It just seemed odd that the uplula would put that much pressure on a round to do that.

I definitely put more than normal pressure on it trying to cram one more round than it wanted easily. Some new guts and some tuning are in order. 

Thanks for the help Hi Power Jack.

18 hours ago, KrymSIX said:

So I got some new magazines, tinkering around with them and loading them up. Noticed that I actually put a very faint ding into two casings with my uplula loader. These are blazer brass 180s. The dents are maybe the width of a ball point pen. 

Neither feels deep. We're talking like you can just barely feel them with a finger nail. 

It just seemed odd that the uplula would put that much pressure on a round to do that.

7 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If they feed into the chamber smoothly, I'd apply 30,000 PSI to the inside of that case to pop the dent back out. ;) 

Exactly....

I've fired a LOT of dented cases in my lifetime. Everything from small dents across the case caused by dropping a round to dents on shoulders caused by excessive case lube (way back in the days of sticky case lube in tubes..!). I have never had a problem firing a dented case. Of course, I HAVE thrown away a few with BIG dents too.. As long as the "dents" are not "creases" I would do exactly as Mem-Mech suggested. Should not be a problem...

• 2 weeks later...