Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New Guy.

USSR

Found this site while surfing at work for gun related sites that my work's filtering software doesn't block.   We'll see how long that lasts.   I'm an NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor, and really enjoy shooting my revolvers with the bullets I cast.

Don

Welcome aboard, Don    :)

Guess a revolver is The Best Option for a state like NY  (I lived there from 1982 - 2014),

down in the Hudson River Region.

Which of the wineries in the Finger Lakes is your favorite?  (Beautiful country, BTW). 

6 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Welcome aboard, Don    :)

Guess a revolver is The Best Option for a state like NY  (I lived there from 1982 - 2014),

down in the Hudson River Region.

Which of the wineries in the Finger Lakes is your favorite?  (Beautiful country, BTW). 

Actually, in this rural part of the state, they are really loose with restrictions.   While I have a couple autoloaders, the workmanship that went into producing those pinned and recessed revolvers is outstanding.   Wineries?   Too busy shooting and reloading for them.

Don

Hi CSLFiero,

In handguns I reload .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt.   Am a big fan of MP Molds made in Slovenia, and must have half a dozen of them.   My most recent acquisitions are a mold that casts .38 caliber 148gr HBWC's, and a hollowpoint version of one of Elmer Keith's first bullet designs, the .452-423.   The neat thing about the .452-423 is, it can be used in both the .45 Colt and .45 ACP and has a massive hollowpoint.

Don

It was designed for the .45 Auto Rim cartridge, for shooting in .45 ACP Revolvers.   As a solid, it is supposed to weigh about 238grs (depending upon the alloy used), but my hollowpoints come out weighing about 224grs.   Since it was designed for a rimmed cartridge, it has a crimp groove.   What you do when loading it in a .45 ACP case is seat it so there is just a thumb nails thickness of the front band showing above the case mouth and taper crimp it.   Works fine in my Series 70 Gold Cup.

Don

1 hour ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Oh, it's NOT a 423,  it's a 224.    That makes sense.    :)

Yeah, the numbers after the diameter size represent the cherry used to cut the mold, not the bullet weight for Ideal and Lyman molds.

Don

Welcome from Kentucky, Don!

Hey, I forgot that NRA had an instructor series on reloading.  I'm a Pistol Instructor for NRA.  Was the metallic cartridge reloading instructor class worth it?  Would it be worth it for a new reloader?  I just started reloading fairly recently, so I figured that if I could take that class and it would help me out with reloading and also give me another NRA credit/instructor class on my card, that wouldn't hurt either.  LOL  I try and take stuff that would be beneficial.  I don't see where I would use it to really teach anyone around here, but hey, if the class is worth taking to benefit myself, then so be it. :)