Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What did I buy? A 2011 story.

or2d2

Alright gonna catch some flak for this but oh well. Live and learn. I had been wanting to go to open for a bit I've been shooting production and just loved the idea of a 9mm open gun. So this was listed on the USPSA forums as a Bedell custom and I picked it up way, way lower than what the guy was asking for it so regardless I think I got an OK deal, but I can't tell if it is what he says it is. He couldn't provide a parts list or receipt and he said he was the original owner but I know there's people out there who don't really care, just want a gun. So here she is. 

Photo album http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/or2d2/slideshow/2011

What I know:
KKM .355 barrel with 2 popple holes 

Appears to be a Bedell 7 port compensator

Wolff springs

Dawson magwell

STI frame, assume slide

Cmore

STI undercut grip, stippled and flat trigger

Trigger breaks at 2.7ish lbs

I think its a Doug Koenig hammer

I had the safety but can't find it now. Swenson?

I had to turn the mag button around because I kept dropping the mag with my support hand. 

Aluminum shock buf

The mount is not original, and I think the inside messed up screws are from that. 

I think I see a CP etched in the frame, but its almost electro pencil and have no idea when/how it was really done. 

What I don't know:

Lb of recoil spring

Guide rod/internal parts list

Do the wear marks inside the gun and on the barrel look? Not really sure there the wear on the locking block area (or whatever it is on a 2011) look less than ideal. 

How she shoots:

Owner said 8.6gr of HS6 with a 124gr. I thought that was a bit hot and although the gun handled 8.6 no problem (working up to obviously), I have it down to about 7.9 with home coated 128gr. I have shot about 750 so far with zero malfunctions related to the gun. I had issues with the new style STI mags but loading long to about 1.165-70 fixed that.

The gun will still cycle with 4.0gr of HS6....... should I get a new recoil spring?! To me that really can't be good for the gun but I see a lot of guys are running low spring weights. 

So just looking for info. If you can identify any parts or problems please let me know! I emailed Bedell but didnt get a response and don't want to press the issue. Thanks!

$RTZBZJA.jpg

Edited by or2d2
edited to explain the backward mag release

2 hours ago, Edge40 said:

Def looks like its been shot a bit but if its running who cares.  Doesnt matter.   One question tho, whats up with you mag release button?

It seems to be on backward. Hmmmm.

19 minutes ago, Nugget said:

It seems to be on backward. Hmmmm.

Yessir! I wrote that post rather hurriedly. I turned it backwards because I kept dropping mags mid stage with my support hand, it's too big. I plan on changing it out but for now its out of the way. 

And yes, she's running 100%. Again 750 rds no malfunctions after I bumped the OAL out. 

I'm most concerned with the fact she'll eat 4gr of HS6 as well as 8.6, seems like the recoil spring may need a replacement. 

1 minute ago, Aircooled6racer said:

Hello: Looks like an early Bedell pistol. I think it has an old Cheely racker, Swenson ambi safety, Dawson big hands magwell, and a STI grip safety. Thanks, Eric

Thanks Eric. It's not the original racker either it was a zig and the old owner switched it out. Appreciate the input!

Looks alot like Max Michel's older Steel Challenge Open gun. Also looks similar to Max's new gun he had built this year. Max's is a single stack in 38SC, but this gun looks alot like it. Slide cuts are very similar and the single line down the top of the slide is almost a dead giveaway. Bedell does all of Max's 1911/2011s.

Awesome thank you all for the feedback. 

Any thoughts from anyone on the fact that the gun will cycle 4.0gr of HS6 with a 128gr? I don't want to keep shooting it if I'm beating the crap out of it. I figured new recoil springs are in order regardless but I don't know if thats a common thing that open guns can/will do. That is, cycle on low velocity and high velocity. I guess that depends on the user and what they like their spring weight at. 

Edited by or2d2

I run an 8# variable in mine and it will eat everything I've tried. Major loads, factory loads, production loads that barely make minor. It might be a little on the light side but I like the way the dot tracks and how it feels.

• 3 weeks later...

Thats a Bedell "Shorty" Gun with full length recoil system, no doubt. I have a hardchromed twin to it. Mine has a Shuemann barrel with 3 popples instead of a KKM. Its his old style 7 port comp. It runs an 8lb Wolff recoil spring. Dan always runs Wolff recoil springs at 8lbs in all his open builds whether short or long slides. Back then I believe he also used Wolff mainsprings but Im not sure what weight he used then. His newer guns run an ISMI 11lb mainspring. If you need any particular info on it give Dan a call, he will happily tell you.