Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

open 22 for steel

Majja

Ok all I kind of want to build a 22/45 to shoot steel with.  My dilemma is to buy a 22/45 Lite (threaded barrel for 439) and then do the trigger and action work on it?  Or would I be better off just buying the Volquartsen VC frame and bolt and then adding a tacopt's barrel.  OR going with the above and then adding the tact opts barrel keeping the Ruger frame?

With one I get instant gratification, the other will take me some time to save up and buy parts but I will have one hell of a sweet 22 at the end.  I will most likely put a Vortex Venom as the red dot and a mad dog Comp.  But I am open to all suggestions or opinions as I do not know much about 22.  I just want to make a baby open gun.

Thanks

The Ruger 22/45 with a Volquartsen trigger kit installed is a great, inexpensive gun.  Put a good comp on it and it will shoot dead flat.

Forget the Volquartsen frame.  They are too variable.  Mine would not let mags drop free. The hole locatiions were wrong and I had a very creepy trigger.

If you already have a 1911 45ACP, you can consider a conversion unit.  I have two.  The Marvel Precision Unit 1 runs like a top.  My other, custom, unit is not 100%.

Now that the safety problem has been fixed by Ruger a Mark IV would be a great base to build you gun on.  Between Tandemkross and Volquartsen you can improve the trigger and get a decent  compensator.  Not much else is really needed.

On 7/12/2017 at 0:46 PM, Majja said:

Ok all I kind of want to build a 22/45 to shoot steel with.  My dilemma is to buy a 22/45 Lite (threaded barrel for 439) and then do the trigger and action work on it?  Or would I be better off just buying the Volquartsen VC frame and bolt and then adding a tacopt's barrel.  OR going with the above and then adding the tact opts barrel keeping the Ruger frame?

With one I get instant gratification, the other will take me some time to save up and buy parts but I will have one hell of a sweet 22 at the end.  I will most likely put a Vortex Venom as the red dot and a mad dog Comp.  But I am open to all suggestions or opinions as I do not know much about 22.  I just want to make a baby open gun.

Thanks

I went with the 22/45 then started adding parts done the trigger and the hammer bushing and comp first.  Then I ended up putting a loaded chamber indicator delete, firing pin, and extractor and with those mods it will run any standard or higher velocity ammo.  My thought was if I wanted to add another top end later I would have a good trigger in my lower but so far I haven't seen a need for a new top end.  It does fine for the two steel matches we shoot a month

Hello: I would also loo at the Browning Buckmark also. My sons can shoot those quicker than the Ruger's. I have a S&W model 41 that is tricked out and I like it the best. Don't shoot it much anymore but it is still fun to shoot. Thanks, Eric

I have a LOT of fun with mine. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJw5VuxRZY4

Ruger MKIII 22/45 with VQ sear, TK trigger and comp, Striplin Customs thumbrest, VQ extractor, and a whole bunch of a little tuning here and there. The weak point of any rimfire is the magazine, and once you know what you're doing the Ruger magazines are fairly easy to tune. Mine runs 100% with CCI minimags, my chosen competition ammo. 

Edited by Xanatos903

I have a old, Ruger Government, that will shoot 1" @ 50 yards with ammo it likes, and is boringly reliable, but, it steers like a tank.

I also have a buckmark, with a Fastfire on it. Not as accurate as the Ruger, and I really don't like the design of the magazines.

I have 2 different Marvel 1 conversions. Both will shoot under an inch @ 75 yards with ammo they like. One is set up for open, with an OKO dot sight, and the other wears iron sights, but, somewhere around here I have an extra rib, so I can swap it out to open.

The biggest issue I've come across in the last 8 years is getting QUALITY rimfire ammo that will feed and fire. I USUALLY use one of my Marvel barrels as a case gauge, but, even if they fit, that doesn't mean they will fire. I went to a steel match with a Ruger 10/22 that was pretty much stock, with some CCI standard ammo that I didn't check because a stock 10/22 usually works 100% with just about anything, but, the ammo was so out of spec that it would hang up in the magazines. I contacted CCI and they said they would take care of me, but, if I remember correctly, they screwed me at about 50%:angry:

I have been having trouble with both CCI Minimags and CCI AR Tactical ammo lately.  I have been using them in a custom 1911 with a Marvel Unit 1 conversion.   I've upped the mainspring to 19lb and still have FTFs.  I don't want to go any higher, because I like the trigger and this is my 1911 competition gun.  I recently switched to Aguila SuperExtra hi-speed (40gr @ 1250fps) and the FTFs disappeared.  I also chrono'd them.  SD for a 10-shot string was 4.71.  The AR Tactical was SD 20.15.  Minimags were SD 31.29 for a 5-shot string.

I bought a case of the Aguila, Super Extra, standard velocity, and they have all gone off, and accuracy in my guns is at least as good as CCi standard velocity.