Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2017 Big Dawg Steel match-Oct.19-22 West Liberty, Iowa

DougCarden

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to update everyone on the match.

We approaching over a third full so far, and have had a lot of inquiries by new shooters from several states.  If you have put off signing up please consider signing up soon to secure your slots.
Dwight and Pam Stearns have been working hard..  I think we will have a great prize table this year!

The Big Dawg Steel Match 2017 will be held at the West Liberty Gun Club on October 19-22.
We have tweaked the match this year and promise cooler weather!

Come shoot 15 stages of plate rack excitement against some of the best shooters in the area! This is set up like the Old American Handgunner match in Colorado.
Please like and visit our Big Dawg Steel Match Facebook page for information and updates.

This continues to be a 50 % cash payback match, paid to the top five shooters in the limited (iron sight) and Unlimited (open) categories.  Plaques will be awarded to Top Senior, Top Lady, Top Junior, Stock and Open Revolver( out to 3 places if enough shooters enter).  We are soliciting prizes for the prize table as well.  If you can help with that please contact Dwight at dpbastearns@aol.com.

We will be using Practiscore scoring with paper back up.   You will be able to squad yourself as well once you are paid.

******I have attached a paper application for those shooter who are not internet savvy.....*******

A change to the match this year is we will be shooting 5 runs and throwing one out, similar to Steel Challenge scoring.
Due to requests USPSA PCC carbines will be allowed to shoot on Thursday along with the regular pistol classes.
Friday and Saturday will be limited to Pistol Entries only. (this is a pistol match but we want to accommodate our friends with their new toys!)
At this time we will use Sunday as the prize table/ awards and Shoot off day like we always have.
All updates will be posted on the FB page.  That has become a very efficient way to contact everyone.

Think about making hotel reservations now. 

I have blocked out rooms at the Heartland Inn in Coralville.  I have twenty rooms locked in at $75.00 a night.  Prices have gone up in the area so don't wait too long.Their direct number is (319) 351-8132.

http://www.thinkiowacity.com/  has links to hotels and answers many questions about the area.

Please send this to all your friends that may have shot the match or want to so we can get the information out to them.
Thanks and hope to see you on the Range on 2017!

A big thanks to Eric and Heather Martin for stepping up to help and making the Practiscore sign up and scoring a reality!  If you see them at a match tell them thanks!

Get to loading ammo, it will be here before you know it!

PS.    if you need anything hit me up on the FB page.......it will be a quicker response!

Doug Carden

Big Dawg Steel Match-Paper application.docx

Edited by DougCarden

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I just wanted to drop a line and update people on how preparations are going.
People are signing up at a furious pace, and I believe we will have some of the largest numbers of shooters we have had for some time. If you are a regular shooter please sign up soon so we can make sure you will have a spot.

We have a lot of things going on in the Iowa City/Coralville Area the weekend of the match. Please think about making hotel plans and reservations soon.

We are removing the falling plates this year. It will be replaced with a plate rack with decreasing sizes of plates so it should be a fun rack!
It was fun but lets face it, It was a PITA to reset and some days were better than others. We will have a moment of silence for the retired target.........I am excited to see what John comes up with and will post it here when I see it!

I had an email question about power factor and thought I would share the answer with everyone here. We try to set the plates up so a .22 will drop them. We have to balance that out with someone using major power ammo slamming down a plate and then getting a sympathetic fall with other plates. It is cool when it happens, but not fair to everyone else.
The simple answer of the match is that all plates must fall. If you hit it and it doesn't fall then shoot it again. For your best results we recommend a 125-130 power factor.

That means-
115 grain bullets you need to run at least 1100fps.
124 grain bullets you need to run at least 1030fps
147 grain bullets you need to run at least 860 fps

You get the idea. For those people that are shooting 9 major leave your major loads at home. Our max velocity is 1250fps, period. If you are using 115 grain bullets or less the frags are more of a problem and we want to minimize the stuff flying around.

If you haven't signed up please do so soon. For those coming, make sure to bring a friend. This is a lot of shooting for not much money. We try to give you more bang for your buck!
See you all soon!
Doug and the match staff!

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE-

We have opened up the match for PCC to shoot any of the three days.  We were trying to have them shoot on Thursday but due to the heavy demand we have opened it up on Friday and Saturday as well.  Start position will be Shouldered and Pointed at Cone.  Come run what you like! 

Just to make sure I understand this---each stage is a plate rack (6 plates), and you run it 5 times, drop the slowest time, and add the others for score.  And you do this for 15 stages/plate racks? 

Are there any differences between plate racks?  Or are stages the same, just lots of them?

(I'm thinking about coming up for PCC on Saturday, after I chrono my ammo to make sure it is under your limit.)

Edited by Thomas H

Second question:  The registration says there is a Man-v-Man running on Sunday.  Also in an earlier post, it said:  " At this time we will use Sunday as the prize table/ awards and Shoot off day like we always have. "

...so everyone shoots the match Thurs/Fri/Sat, then comes out Sunday for the awards and an additional Man-v-Man shoot off if they are interested?  (In other words, if I shoot Saturday, I should stay through Sunday for the fun?)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Thomas,  Here is a pic of the newest plate rack we have.  The Falling doors.  Our match is modeled after the American Handgunner World shootoff in Colorado.  A bunch of us used to go out there for the match and couldn't make it out there all the time so we started our own match.  This set of targets used to be on the ground but it was complicated so we came up with a new system on a rack off the ground. 

We will be shooting the stages Thursday through Saturday.  On Sunday morning we will have the man v. man shootoff for open and limited.  I will be paying out $100 of the separate entry fee for that.  The prize table/ plaques/ cash will be paid out and then we are done for another year.

We have 15 different sets of racks, and two double decker racks.  I think you will find it challenging and fun at the same time.  Hope to see you there!

Doug

falling doors.JPG

Edited by DougCarden

1 hour ago, DougCarden said:

Hi Thomas,  Here is a pic of the newest plate rack we have.  The Falling doors.  Our match is modeled after the American Handgunner World shootoff in Colorado.  A bunch of us used to go out there for the match and couldn't make it out there all the time so we started our own match.  This set of targets used to be on the ground but it was complicated so we came up with a new system on a rack off the ground. 

We will be shooting the stages Thursday through Saturday.  On Sunday morning we will have the man v. man shootoff for open and limited.  I will be paying out $100 of the separate entry fee for that.  The prize table/ plaques/ cash will be paid out and then we are done for another year.

We have 15 different sets of racks, and two double decker racks.  I think you will find it challenging and fun at the same time.  Hope to see you there!

Doug

falling doors.JPG

That is an interesting plate rack.  I assume the plan is that you have to wait on the plate in front to fall at least partially out of the way before shooting the next plate.  Seems like there would be a high probability of bullets ricocheting over the berm unless there is some kind of shield over it.

If I get 25 or more PCC shooters I will then do the 50% cash payout with the PCC entries.  If I have enough PCC shooters that want to participate in the shootoff together we will do that on Sunday.  Bring me the shooters I show you the money.......

Thanks,

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Hello my friend!  It is a blast.  We are going to take a lot of video this year and also have a drone with an HD camera.  Like the FB page and we will post everything after the match!  Hope to see you at a match soon!

Doug