Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

22/45 to build or not to build

Majja

Ok all I kind of want to build a 22/45 to shoot steel with.  My dilemma is to buy a 22/45 Lite (threaded barrel for 439) and then do the trigger and action work on it?  Or would I be better off just buying the Volquartsen VC frame and bolt and then adding a tacopt's barrel.  OR going with the above and then adding the tact opts barrel keeping the Ruger frame?

With one I get instant gratification, the other will take me some time to save up and buy parts but I will have one hell of a sweet 22 at the end.  I will most likely put a Vortex Venom as the red dot and a mad dog Comp.  But I am open to all suggestions or opinions as I do not know much about 22.  I just want to make a baby open gun.

Thanks

Not going wrong with any of those options. Really just boils down to what you think you will be happiest with in the end.

Guess my suggestion would be to lay your hands on a few and try to see and maybe even shoot one of each. The factory setup leaves a bunch to be desired, but that's where I started myself. Then added a TacSol upper and Cmore.

As usual, YMMV

• 4 months later...

I know this is kind of an old post and you have probably built your gun already but I just wanted to comment on this because I recently completed a MK4 22/45 with VC trigger group, extractor, comp, slide racker, Vortex dot, mag extensions and g10 grips. It absolutely exceeded my expectations and couldn't ask for a better shooting rimfire steel gun. I'm sure the custom VC gun would be great as well but the MK4 is running great too.