Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for new powder for limited major! Help

nikdanja

Was using 5.7 grains of wsf and was wondering what POPULAR powder do you use to make major?

popular meaning the odds are pretty good the local gun shop will have it. 

I want to switch to save money on how much powder goes in each case. 

Popular for use in USPSA limited major and popular in your local store might not mean the same thing. 

I like N320 as do many others but you are more likely to find Titegroup  locally. 

I'm sure you know this already but the incremental cost differential of a grain of powder per round  is negligible in the big picture.  One grain of $20 per pound powder is less than a third of a cent.  This will save you less than $100 over the course of the year if you shoot 30000 rounds

19 hours ago, phoenixsomd said:

1. 180g RN ibejiHeads over 3.8g of Alliant e3

2. 200g RN Bayou over 3.4g of Alliant e3

If you want economy e3 is what you seek, know some locals that love it.

I dabbled in Limited, with a 4.25" barrel and SNS 180gr TC

4.4gr Red Dot av 944fps

4.5gr Titegroup av 949fps

4.6gr American Select av 951fps

All shot reasonably well.

Also tried Bullseye, but recoil seemed to get harsh before PF was attained. 

I am hearing good things about the new Alliant Sport pistol, and published load data makes it look like it's in the sweet spot for .40 major.  

If I weren't weighed down with other powders right now, I'd be on a testing spree.

On 7/21/2017 at 11:40 PM, woodrow said:

Have any data you can share please? 

I have two loads I've been shooting with it.  One is exactly what CHA-LEE used in this thread: http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/245589-super-accurate-eggleston-munitions-401-cal-180gr-bullets/#comment-2735639

The second is an ACME 200gr on top of 3.5gr Prima SV at 1.18 OAL.  Both are just above 170PF for me and plenty accurate.  I get really consistent drops AFTER the powder is well settled, which seems like it takes longer than with some other powders.  

• 4 months later...
On 7/23/2017 at 12:35 PM, fbzero said:

I have two loads I've been shooting with it.  One is exactly what CHA-LEE used in this thread: http://forums.brianenos.com/topic/245589-super-accurate-eggleston-munitions-401-cal-180gr-bullets/#comment-2735639

The second is an ACME 200gr on top of 3.5gr Prima SV at 1.18 OAL.  Both are just above 170PF for me and plenty accurate.  I get really consistent drops AFTER the powder is well settled, which seems like it takes longer than with some other powders.  

What kind of gun were you using for your 200gr tests and Prima SV? I chrono'd some 200gr blue bullets at 1.185 oal and 3.5gr and 3.7gr and got avg velocities of 793.6 and 819.3 respectively. I think I'd have to push 3.9 to be around 170. 

Do you think 3.9gr of prima SV would be too much and be in kaboom range for 200gr bullets? I'd imagine I'd have to go to 4.1gr for a FMJ.

For reference, I also chrono'd 180 gr bayou moly and 180gr montana gold JHPs out of the same gun. 4.3gr for bayou got me 936.1 average and 4.5gr for MG JHP got me 942.1. I'd probably go up .05 grain for cushion. 

Thanks!

he wants something available at whatever local shop he buys at, from his first post. a lot of the powders listed don't fit that criteria in my experience.

asking for a good power generally and asking for a good powder you can walk in and buy at most shops is very different.

i said what i did based on what he said. personally i use E3.

Edited by rowdyb

On 12/11/2017 at 12:16 PM, Fantom919 said:

What kind of gun were you using for your 200gr tests and Prima SV? I chrono'd some 200gr blue bullets at 1.185 oal and 3.5gr and 3.7gr and got avg velocities of 793.6 and 819.3 respectively. I think I'd have to push 3.9 to be around 170. 

Do you think 3.9gr of prima SV would be too much and be in kaboom range for 200gr bullets? I'd imagine I'd have to go to 4.1gr for a FMJ.

For reference, I also chrono'd 180 gr bayou moly and 180gr montana gold JHPs out of the same gun. 4.3gr for bayou got me 936.1 average and 4.5gr for MG JHP got me 942.1. I'd probably go up .05 grain for cushion. 

Thanks!

I'm using a 5.5" CK Arms, so if you are running a 5", that would explain some of the disparity.  Also, the 200gr Blues (which I am using now and settled at 3.7gr @1.185) have a flat point, while the ACME's have a round nose.  Point being, seated to a similar depth, there would be less case capacity available for powder with the ACME's.

All that said, my wife shoots a RIA Pro Match 5", and it took 3.9gr(with Blues) to get her to about 171 power factor and make sure she didn't have any issues at the chrono during the Fall Classic.  I also shot some of the 3.9's through my CK and it was around 177 power factor, no pressure signs.  I have not tested anything over 3.9, but I haven't observed any pressure signs there and don't think I'm pushing any limits. 

Just be safe, do your ladders and watch for pressure signs and you should be fine.  Happy shooting!

Edited by fbzero

4.1 n320 at 1.165 or 4.6 autocompt same length. i have been using n320 exclusively but just recently decided to dump some autocomp and boy was it softer at 171pf with a 200gr bullet

Edited by tcazes

On 12/12/2017 at 1:29 PM, fbzero said:

I'm using a 5.5" CK Arms, so if you are running a 5", that would explain some of the disparity.  Also, the 200gr Blues (which I am using now and settled at 3.7gr @1.185) have a flat point, while the ACME's have a round nose.  Point being, seated to a similar depth, there would be less case capacity available for powder with the ACME's.

All that said, my wife shoots a RIA Pro Match 5", and it took 3.9gr(with Blues) to get her to about 171 power factor and make sure she didn't have any issues at the chrono during the Fall Classic.  I also shot some of the 3.9's through my CK and it was around 177 power factor, no pressure signs.  I have not tested anything over 3.9, but I haven't observed any pressure signs there and don't think I'm pushing any limits. 

Just be safe, do your ladders and watch for pressure signs and you should be fine.  Happy shooting!

Thanks for the info! I'll have to load up some 3.9s and see what they chrono at but should be close based on my previous testing. Helps we load to same oal too.