Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pre-Match Diet

Greetings all,

New to this forum and wanted to bring up a topic that I have personal interest in. Snacks and food at a match is one thing, but do any of you have a specific diet or partake in any food restrictions prior to a match? For example: No drinking, no greasy foods, high carb intake, no red meats, etc ...? How many days in advance do you begin your pre-match diet?

I have been experimenting with several different combinations and have not really settled on anything that seems to be a solid plan as of yet. Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!

Gabriel

Here in the South I find showing up properly hydrated - and staying that way - to be the biggest thing you can do to improve how you shoot after several hours on the range. Watch next time you're at a match on a hot day: most of the guys will drink so little they'll never use the bathroom.

If you don't have to piss, you're dehydrated. On a really hot day that can mean 6 big water bottles being sucked down. Or even more. I try to empty my water bottle on every stage, and I find that makes a huge difference.

I like to eat the usual things I would otherwise eat: High protein, moderate carbs mostly from a rice or vegetables and not from bread, eggs and veggies for breakfast, a protein shake in my cooler for the range. Almonds or other fat sources for snackfood on the range. Perhaps a protein bar or two.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Change your lifestyle to remove garbage foods from your diet all the time, not just before a match. You'll feel a lot better at the match and everywhere else. 

I focus more on hydration leading up to a match. I make sure I'm comfortably hydrated as early as the night before, get a good night's sleep, and then continue hydrating through the day. 

6 hours ago, Sliv2 said:

Change your lifestyle to remove garbage foods from your diet all the time, not just before a match. You'll feel a lot better at the match and everywhere else. 

I focus more on hydration leading up to a match. I make sure I'm comfortably hydrated as early as the night before, get a good night's sleep, and then continue hydrating through the day. 

^This.... The way you eat should be a lifestyle, not something you do just before matches.

I have two schools of thought on this. You can decide which one I actually do. 

I usually try and eat a pretty good meal the night before. Start increasing my water intake about Wednesday is. Like stop soda and sweet tea and replace with water. Morning of is usually something light from mc donalds just because I know it wont screw with my stomach and keep me going until mid afternoon. the most critical thing is going to bed on time. Not staring at the scores on your phone or TV. good restful sleep the night before. 

or

I usually drink way to much the night before the match and end up waking up late and eating mcdonalds because its quick and pounding water and gatorade like its going out of style trying to recover. 

Only thing I can add is I try to not vary from my normal, so if I have been drinking a cup of coffee every morning I drink one on the way to the match. 

Like the above I find drinking a bottle of water every stage helps a lot and I try to eat a granola bar or similar every couple of stages.

as for food i normally grab something quick as I don't normally eat breakfast during the week.

Same as every other day, protein like steak, chicken or eggs and some nuts.  If it is foing to be really hot i might up water a bit the days before but i am always drinking water so really not much difference.  As mentioned, the morning of a match isnt going to make up for being out of shape and/or having a bad diet to begin with.

12 hours ago, Foxj66 said:

Only thing I can add is I try to not vary from my normal,

This is my best advice also. Stay in your rhythm. changing things up before a match is a recipe for disaster. If better habits make sense before a match, they make sense all the time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I don't do anything different.   I try to be healthy most of the time.  Try not to vary to much as having an upset stomach during a match isn't fun.   So trying the new combo Thai/gas station restaurant that just opened up is usually not a good idea.

All good advice, but a wee bit simplistic. Back in the day I've seen shooters party all night then come out to the range and clean the course of fire. It mostly depends on where you are in life. 

Some of the youngsters we have around here can drink beer all night and piss foam in the morning. Guys like me, and some of you, however, may have to take a different approach. Especially with a prostate the size of a cantaloupe. :blink:

A little protein, a few carbs, and you're good to go.

Edited by MikieM

• 1 month later...

I drink at least one beer the night before (of a major match anyway).  Never more than 3 though, I'm not trying to get drunk.

It always improves my shooting and here's why:

1)  it relaxes me, I get super bad first-stage jitters, and having a beer or two the night before keeps those in check

2)  it reminds me why I'm shooting... to have fun!  If I can't have a beer when I'm traveling, I'm taking it too seriously.  When I'm shooting for fun, I shoot better.

I have tested this theory at dozens of matches and it always turns out the same.  I end up flopping quite bad on the days that I did not have a drink the night before and try to take my diets seriously so I can be in "top shape."

That said, the week of a major I will cut back on things that get me bloated, such as eating too much bread and things that are hard to digest.  Nothing worse than feeling like crap while you're trying to perform.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to avoid eating anything too crazy the night before a match. I also try to wake up early enough to get some coffee and make a head call before leaving.

All influenced by the fact that I prefer to avoid sitting in a portapotty if at all possible. 

About 4 months ago I switched to a vegan diet (I don't consider myself a vegan or a damn dirty hippy by any means) with the plan of a few times a year indulgence of venison I have taken myself.

It has really helped with my energy levels and I have been dropping a 1lb or so a week with no changes to my physical activity levels.

My pre-match breakfast it's much different than a normal day.

Bowl of healthy cereal with almond milk.

Giant smoothie of fruits and veggies.

I keep myself hydrated during the match and consume a Cliff Bar or two through out the day.  For longer 3gun matches I try to bring additional snacks to hold me over.

1. Eat a good breakfast. I usually do 6 egg whites and some oatmeal or whole wheat toast

2. Bring healthier snack foods. Beef jerky. Low sugar protein bars

3. Make a sammich. Whole wheat bread. Turkey cheese. That sort of thing

4. Drink at least a gallon of water a day. Everyday. More if its hot out. The goal should be to piss clear.

5. Energy drinks/ sports drinks are over rated and water is better.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

On 7/11/2017 at 8:35 AM, Loweredchevy said:

Greetings all,

New to this forum and wanted to bring up a topic that I have personal interest in. Snacks and food at a match is one thing, but do any of you have a specific diet or partake in any food restrictions prior to a match? For example: No drinking, no greasy foods, high carb intake, no red meats, etc ...? How many days in advance do you begin your pre-match diet?

I have been experimenting with several different combinations and have not really settled on anything that seems to be a solid plan as of yet. Any feedback would be much appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!

Gabriel

Three scrambled eggs, two orders of bacon, wheat toast and home fries with lots of ketchup, salt and pepper.

Sometimes I shoot well, sometimes I don't. I don't think my performance has anything to do with what I ate for breakfast.

I do stay hydrated during the match.

Just saying

I agree with everyone about hydration, it is probably the most important thing. I found that something with chicken and pasta works the best for me the night before the match. I sustain better throughout the day and it doesn't sit on my stomach like red meat. My friends usually eat salmon, I am just not a big fan unless it is smoked. I save that for game day. Chicken and rice will accomplish the same thing if you don't want the pasta. Stay way from sweets and alcohol until your done with the match. Don't eat a large breakfast, something like a small bowl of oatmeal and then eat small portions of healthy protein rich foods throughout the day.

On 11/5/2017 at 2:54 PM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I encourage all my competitors to drink TWO Monsters before competing with me ....  ;)

Jokes on you guys, I'm usually 2 monsters in from the 6am morning drive to most matches!