Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Piru Steel Challenge is Back!!!!!!

jkrispies

11 hours ago, Max It said:

Tell us more. 

The photo above was taken on Sunday after we finished laying the shooting boxes and staking down the shade structure.  Each stage will be the same basic setup with a perfectly leveled shooting box (and I mean that every block is PERFECTLY hand leveled with a bubble) with a 10'x20' shade structure that is permanetly staked to the ground and close enough to the shooting box that the RO and Scorekeeper should remain in the shade.  Picnic tables and trash cans are to be delivered next weekend.  The steel in the photo above is actually temporary.  New permanent steel is on order and will be permanently affixed to the ground--just like in the old Piru days!--once we have it on site.

It's my understanding that 24/7 access (minus competition dates) is currently avaiable via an annual membership.  You'll have to contact the owner for that info at:  http://www.pirugunrange.com  Please reach out to them directly for that info rather than me.  I've been filled in on some of those details, but it was somewhat second hand and I'd rather not go public with data that I'm not 100% certain about.  Right now I'm just one of the guys reconstructing the site, so I'd prefer to let the actual owner answer those sort of questions.

Cheers!

J

Edited by jkrispies

18 minutes ago, Steve RA said:

Is this the same range (changed some, of course) where the original Steel Challenge was held ??

Yep!

(Well, I'm sure Jim can correct me on this-- I think it was held elsewhere at the very start of SC back in the '80s, but this was Mike Dalton's range before he retired, and the range where many, many Steel Challenge World Championships were held over the years.)

Edited by jkrispies

On 7/11/2017 at 5:44 PM, Steve RA said:

Is this the same range (changed some, of course) where the original Steel Challenge was held ??

Yes - The same range where the Steel Challenge world championships were held up until the USPSA moved them to Florida in 2012.

I must be cursed SC-wise.  I'm in NorCal and just moved a small match I run from the first Sunday to the first Saturday.  My wife and I were regulars at Mike's monthly WCS match (and the yearly championship as well).  Darn.

1 hour ago, RickT said:

I must be cursed SC-wise.  I'm in NorCal and just moved a small match I run from the first Sunday to the first Saturday.  My wife and I were regulars at Mike's monthly WCS match (and the yearly championship as well).  Darn.

Well, the good news is that the inaugural match is the only one on the first Saturday of the month.  After this one, they will be on the second Saturday.

Edited by jkrispies

8 hours ago, jkrispies said:

Well, the good news is that the inaugural match is the only one on the first Saturday of the month.  After this one, they will be on the second Saturday.

I'll believe it when I see it.  I can't be so lucky.  Now if I could only claim the mileage, 525 mi R/T, on my income taxes.

Edited by RickT

On 7/18/2017 at 6:11 PM, RickT said:

RickT, I am in Sacramento. Where is your monthly match? I would like to give it a try.