Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help, G17 MOS slide lock repeatedly!

Whozyodaddy

I have a 6 month old stock G17 gen4 MOS mounted with an RMR that repeatedly experiences slide lock (open) while firing with rounds still in the magazine.  The gun probably has 500 rounds through it with various ammo and several different magazines (factory old, factory new, magpul) and still the slide locks open.  My grip does not seem to be the issue as I have a nearly identical gen 4 G17 non-MOS that does not have this issue.

Please help!  I cannot see anything wrong with the weapon, but something is obviously not working!

Does it have the standard slide release, or the G34 extended type? I cannot shoot a wider release equipped Glock without locking the slide back every few rounds. and +3 to checking the spring is installed correctly to provide downward tension...

8 hours ago, Whozyodaddy said:

I have a 6 month old stock G17 gen4 MOS mounted with an RMR that repeatedly experiences slide lock (open) while firing with rounds still in the magazine.  The gun probably has 500 rounds through it with various ammo and several different magazines (factory old, factory new, magpul) and still the slide locks open.  My grip does not seem to be the issue as I have a nearly identical gen 4 G17 non-MOS that does not have this issue.

Please help!  I cannot see anything wrong with the weapon, but something is obviously not working!

Another Glock with repeated slide lock?!? If you google this or search these forums you'll figure it out. :)

Thanks guys for the help....the spring on the slide lock lever is in the correct position.  The only slight thing I noticed is the triangular piece that protrudes off of the lever, to the right toward the magwell, angles up slightly as compared to my other Gen 4.  Not sure if this could even be an issue....

Can't seem to upload a photo...

That's no dirty, this is, about 15,000 rounds.... It's an old long rail G22. Check the sharp edges of the newer Glocks, that can cause more drag, as well as lack of lube. All Glocks can run dirty as long as they have lube.

image36570.jpg

Edited by 9x45

90% of the time I see this happen to guys that reassemble their gun putting the trigger pin in first and then the top pin.  If it were me just for giggles I would pull the pins and reassemble. Top pin first then trigger pin.  This same thing just happened to a guy at a uspsa match the other day.  Changed pins and poof no more problems.  

Holy crap, that is dirty!  I will pull the pins and reinstall.  Wish I was able to get to the range a little sooner and get it sorted before shipping it back to Glock.  

I read awhile back about about issues with the earliest MOS models (with optic mounted) that were having issues cycling, locking open, etc possibly due to the added weight of the optic?  I can't imagine that is at play here?  My RMR weighs so little!

Don't think so about the dot, I have 2 old G17's with a dovetail mount with old school Trijicon Red Dots (like a Docter) and they never had any issues. But if the slide stop spring is above the smaller pin (locking block pin, not the the larger double slotted trigger pin) it will lock back every time. 

2 hours ago, Dieselvrr said:

This happened on my new G34 MOS last week when I first shot it. Figured it was my grip with new extended slide release. I will check pins as recommended.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Anytime you suddenly get an issue.... whatever was the latest change is usually the problem. 

3 minutes ago, sfinney said:

Anytime you suddenly get an issue.... whatever was the latest change is usually the problem. 

Agreed but I should clarify, its the stock extended slide release that comes on the G34.  Its "new" to me as I am used to the regular stock slide release.  

Got it.

I can shoot a G34 with the regular G17 type slide release, but cannot with the "stock" extended G34 release. My high thumbs grip hit it every time.  Found that out first time at Glock GSSF match....  oops. (and fwiw it did it less/seldom in practice but much more in matches. Go figure... grip pressures, tension, I guess.

whoz, if the you verify that the slide stop spring is correctly installed, and suspect that you are riding it with your right thumb, then just rip off a couple of sticks weak hand only, and that will show that it is you, and not the gun. You could either put a G17 OEM in or just cut the tab off the extended one. I don't use them because one time we had a gun flat on a table to start and when I grabbed it hard it bumped the extended slide stop and only got one round off. I do put the G21 OEM mag release on because it's extended by about 2mm and only cost $4. Round the sharp edges with an emery board.

image37418.jpg 

My thread was hijacked a bit above, but either way, my g17 has the standard slide stop lever on it (non-extended version).  My grip on the weapon is the same on my other Glocks and I don't ever ride the lever.  Those other guns function just fine.

Thanks for the continued input

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Whozyodaddy said:

Swapping out the slide stop lever did not correct the issue.  My grip also does not seem to be the culprit.  Any other ideas?

Thx

Swap slides and see what happens

Shoot the gun left handed (one or two hand grip) and be CERTAIN it isn't your thumbs hitting it.

Typically the more adamant someone is that their grip isn't the issue... the more likely it is to actually turn out to be the issue.

Shoot it lefty. If it locks back even once then you are certain.

My grip hits the factory extended mag release on small frames. I like the Vickers release because it's shorter to clear my grip but has wider pad making it easier to reach. I put the factory G34 lever in my G20 and the Vickers lever in my G34.