Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Were do I start

Jerrymarsh

I've been reloading for 50+ years, and just ran into the same

problem.

Found out that is is NECESSARY to look into Every Case before

you place the bullet - Every Time.    :ph34r:

I have 200 rounds of ammo I have to break down one day ....

Won't EVER make that mistake again.

Got a nice shiny light that attaches to the press, and it illuminates

the empty case with the powder in it - can't make a mistake again    :)  

Looks like job one is to determine reason for the squibs...  No powder, low powder, contamination, etc..  Until you do that your just going to be questioning your ammo at every match not to mention the safety issues if a round follows the squib..  Were these all really squibs of did they fail to go bang??  Big difference.....

1 hour ago, NoSteel said:

Looks like job one is to determine reason for the squibs...  No powder, low powder, contamination, etc..  Until you do that your just going to be questioning your ammo at every match not to mention the safety issues if a round follows the squib..  Were these all really squibs of did they fail to go bang??  Big difference.....

Biggest I found was getting in a hurry to load slowed down issue solved 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 4:29 AM, NoSteel said:

Looks like job one is to determine reason for the squibs...  No powder, low powder, contamination, etc..  .....

I've only ever had one squib, and am convinced it was contamination. I had cleaned my brass with water and detergent....

--------------------------

What powder are you using? I hear some powders measure better than others. I've never had that issue, having always used Vihtavuori powders through my lowly Dillon SDB.

Are you sure the measure is correctly installed on the press?

• 2 months later...

What press?

If you advance a 550 to soon, you'll get squibs. Short-stroking a 650 will do the same.

The most important lesson I learned on a progressive press is: do not try to keep the shell holder full. If you have a bad case, bad primer or other issue  - let the empty space advance around the press. When ever I tried to replace a defective case, I ended up having squibs. It also wastes time.

Set up a light to see into the cases and check the powder level. 

Break your ammo into lots, at least until you get your issues worked out. 

Found out that is is NECESSARY to look into Every Case before

you place the bullet - Every Time.

Please listen to Hi Power's post. I was very fortunate to have a great mentor when I started loading. He reinforced this to me before I pull the handle on my Dillon 550: LOOK INSIDE THE CASE. Greatest loading advice I could have ever received.

• 4 weeks later...

On a 550, I sit to my left to get a good look in the case at station 3. I SEE powder before I place the bullet on the case mouth. I use a cheap gooseneck LED desk lamp I bought on Amazon . It works great. I've used mirrors as well but found the light is easier for me. YMMV

• 4 months later...

First time I wet tumbled my brass, I didn’t let it dry fully... the cases were dry, but not bone dry like they should have been. Loaded up about 600rds and went to shoot steel knockdown... every third round didn’t go bang. I was clearing full rounds out of the barrel the whole day. I should have stopped there, but shot the rest of the match. Luckily I didn’t have a stuck projo during the day.

The ones that did go bang were moving so slow you could see them fly. I went home and tore down the 400 remaining rounds and had clumps of wet powder plopping out. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a small bottle opener LED light hot glued to the press at an angle to shine light directly into the case, and a small, round mirror also hot glued to the press so that all I have to look at is the mirror.

Great idea... thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you are running a 550 or 650 a powder check is a sound investment. I started on a friends square deal and then purchased a 650 and have not had a squib since switching with the powder check. Plus I can load a lot more ammo faster b