Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Prematch routine?

Broncman

Day before and morning of a match?

Do you live fire practice day before and do you dry fire the morning of a match?

Trying to improve my first couple stage "warmup" I seem to have going. I have to travel to each match and thinking about getting up earlier to put in at least 30 minutes of dry fire morning of the match.

Thoughts?

I would venture to say that firing the pistol a few days before a match just to make sure its operational is what I would want to do, maybe at a practice night at the range you will be on. Dry firing for muscle memory is good whenever, even watching tv!  

For Majors:

I'll clean the gun 3 or 4 days before the match. then take it to the range and do a 200ish round mini practice session. Then just dry fire until the day before. Don't do anything the day before (drink, to much normally) Then get up and go shoot. 

17 hours ago, Broncman said:

<snip>

I have to travel to each match and thinking about getting up earlier to put in at least 30 minutes of dry fire morning of the match.

<snip>

I find that dry fire practice the night before is more productive - for me - than morning of. Depending on how far you travel, morning-of could be pretty early. If I dry practice the night before instead, I go to bed thinking about what needs to be done and how I'm going to work on it/focus on XYZ the next morning at the match. 

I too sometimes feel as though it takes a stage to warm up in the morning. I wish there was a mini stage you could shoot 10-ish rounds/handful of targets before the match starts... we can dream, right?

I also live fire practice mid-week before a match, unless I've already shot in the last week. 

What Sumbeach and Dutchman have said, I clean the gun during the week leading up to the match and take it out for a hundred or so rounds just to get it a little dirty and make sure I didn't put something back together wrong. A dirty gun is a happy gun.

Once I get to the match I try and warm up a little , don't seem to get it done much any more.  I wind up shooting the Breeze!!!! LOL

When I made A class I would warm up at one of the safety tables doing draws, mag changes (keep them empty so you don't get DQ'D), Draws aim hit the mag release reload then switch to WH. etc

That all helped when the timer went off the first time.

Been lax the last year or so playing with several different guns/divisions, ==== not good for improvement but seems like a lot of fun!!!

Edited by jcc7x7

• 5 months later...

The day before a match, I'll clean and inspect the gun, dry fire and then I generally get all my gear together for the match.  The morning of the match, I'll make sure I didn't forget anything.

2 hours ago, MonkeyPlague said:

Day before the match I spend in the nearest brewery I can find. Morning of the match I explore new and exciting hangover remedies. :ph34r:

Best hangover remedy is a bottle of  Pedialyte

18 hours ago, stick said:

The day before a match, I'll clean and inspect the gun, dry fire and then I generally get all my gear together for the match.  The morning of the match, I'll make sure I didn't forget anything.

Best hangover remedy is a bottle of  Pedialyte

So far my favorite is a bloody mary and a breakfast burrito.