Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR500 steel safety question

taymag

My club uses steel that is welded from the back to the stand so the front is completely flat (no screw holes or mounting devices) but I can get the AR500 steel with the hole in the front for fairly cheap, which is probably what most people use...

My question is, what one of these "mounting" ways do you think is safer for ricochet? The one obviously mounts angling slightly forward (hopefully directing the bullets at the ground) and the other hangs the target dead flat but will have some give since its not screwed in and secure.

AR500-1.jpg

AR500-2.jpg

Edited by taymag

My understanding is that welding will compromise the hardness of the AR500 steel, making that area more prone to damage. Surface damage increases the chances of bullets coming back at you.

As for the hanging angle, I prefer to deflect the projectile downwards.

Carriage Bolts have a rounded head which seem to lessen splash or ricochet issues.

Their heads also pop off eventually. I used those on my hanging plates initially. I ended up replacing them all with hex head grade 8 bolts.

On 7/11/2017 at 5:41 PM, njl said:

Their heads also pop off eventually. I used those on my hanging plates initially. I ended up replacing them all with hex head grade 8 bolts.

Yes I noticed that also, had 2 of 2 within a month.  But they usually last over a year.