Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corrective lens shooting glasses

mjkten

As I got older, I got presbyopia and couldn't shoot without custom glasses. Even those didn't work as well as I liked.

However, my optometrist  suggested multi focal contacts. I tried these out and found them much superior to shooting specific glasses, and allow me to play other sports (biking mostly) as well.

You might check them out, I have a great sight picture now and enjoy shooting...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I emailed my optometrist. He told me to bring my gun in a suitcase and to have an orange chamber block in the gun. When I came in his people had a normal procedure they ran me through. When the Doctor came in he closed the door so we would not scare anyone. We played with lenses on my dominant eye so I could see the back of the front sight on my gun crystal clear. My non-dormant eye was set up like my normal prescription for that eye. I purchased ESS Crossbow glasses that have an inside lense piece to place prescription glass in. The outside has wrap around safety lenses that can be changed also. Clear for indoors and gray for the outside. Other manufacturers like RUDY and Oakley offer the same thing. ESS were the cheapest. I switch to my shooting glasses as soon as I get to the range to let my mind adapt to the glasses. Now no issues adjusting. Great for shooting. If I am ROing seeing the targets for scoring I have to get close.

Jay

The SSP Top focal glasses arrived today.  I assembled them with correction in dominant eye only.  I have to say I'm impressed so far.  The correction is high enough that its not in the way but my natural motion to slightly lower my eyes on the sights puts it perfectly in service.  I'll shoot with them tomorrow to see what it's like,  but I'm encouraged by what i see so far. 

3 hours ago, mjkten said:

The SSP Top focal glasses arrived today.  I assembled them with correction in dominant eye only.  I have to say I'm impressed so far.  The correction is high enough that its not in the way but my natural motion to slightly lower my eyes on the sights puts it perfectly in service.  I'll shoot with them tomorrow to see what it's like,  but I'm encouraged by what i see so far. 

Let us know what you think.... I like mine but it's always good to get input from others.  Did you order your correction the same as reading glasses... or did you intentionally move the focal distance out some.?? Your front sight is further out than you would normally hold reading material like a book or newspaper. This usually requires you to reduce the amount of correction some. For example, if your "normal" reading lenses are a 2.25 correction, then your correction for shooting glasses is about a 1.75 -- 2.0. Reducing the correction moves the focal distance out further from your eye.  Just wondering how you decided on the amount of correction.??

Although I usually read with a 1.25 correction, I had to choose between the 1.0 or 1.25 at that distance. I was standing at the rack in Walgreens switching back and forth, trying to read fine print. I had already "measured" the distance to my front sight being the same as my fully extended arm  with shoulders square. I chose the 1.0 because I felt my regular correction was just a bit too much at that distance. Now that I have it to try at home, holding the pistol out in front of me, it seems I chose correctly. The only issue I'm concerned with is the oddness of having different lenses in front of my eyes, and how long it will take to get used to that. Rather than a blur, my uncorrected view of the front sight seemed to be a double image, sort of an astigmatism issue I suppose, but the lens helps take that away. 

OK, so the new specs are very interesting, very good view of the front sight. 

Having one lens correction and one uncorrected becomes natural-ish in time...It's not quite seamless but pretty easy to get used to. Of course I may sing a different song after my match tomorrow.

I'm glad I bought them.

Now if I could just do something about the jerk behind the trigger!

5 hours ago, mjkten said:

OK, so the new specs are very interesting, very good view of the front sight. 

Having one lens correction and one uncorrected becomes natural-ish in time...It's not quite seamless but pretty easy to get used to. Of course I may sing a different song after my match tomorrow.

I'm glad I bought them.

Now if I could just do something about the jerk behind the trigger!

Your results sound like mine.  I think you will discover that the dissonance you feel because of the different corrections in each eye will slowly abate. It took me about ten days (+/-..) to feel really comfortable. It is actually quite a normal response and easily overcome. Just ask folks who wear contacts for reading.. (one eye only..).

Thanks for the update.!!

Oh, the "jerk behind the trigger" thing.??  It has a way of working itself out.!!:P

Wearing one corrective lens over the right eye turned out to be pretty natural feeling.

It definitely helps me see the front sight as one clear image.

It does not help so much with decision making and trigger pull.

But that's the next thing to focus on. 

I have been using the ssp glasses for about a month and I like them. I'm using the right lens only with the yellow tint. My normal reading glasses is 1:75 and I got 1:25 in ssp glasses and is working great. You have to remember that front sight is farther away then your normal reading distance so it's takes less strength lens for the shooting glasses. The front sight is very clear for me and the target is a little blurry but not that bad. The only thing is you have to get use to putting your head down just a little but that may be because I have gotten use to putting my head back trying to shot out of the bottom of my other glasses with the byfocals lol.

17 hours ago, hobbit99 said:

So... How did the match go.??  Or has it finished yet... (..???..)

Let's just say I'm really enjoying myself. My targets were generally better, and I continue to learn what to do and not to do!

And I'm looking for matches around my area instead of just at my home range.

On 7/23/2017 at 8:32 AM, mjkten said:

Let's just say I'm really enjoying myself. My targets were generally better, and I continue to learn what to do and not to do!

And I'm looking for matches around my area instead of just at my home range.

:cheers:

7 hours ago, oddjob said:

My dominant eye is set for the front sight and the weak eye is set up for distance.  This came from a cowboy shooter/optometrist.  Works great for me.

I tried that a long time ago and it made me woozy.  My brain couldn’t adjust.  Did you have any problems or adjustment period?

15 hours ago, oddjob said:

My dominant eye is set for the front sight and the weak eye is set up for distance.  This came from a cowboy shooter/optometrist.  Works great for me.

Same thing I did.  Brought my gun with me to the doctor.  Have to put them on when I leave the house to go to the match to allow time for my eyes to adjust.

I just ordered another set of SSP glasses. These are the Denial lenses... regular bifocal with correction in the bottom. I am going to set up one pair with top focal on my dominant side and bottom focal on the other. Just for shooting, should be okay. Good sight clarity with dominant eye and good distance vision straight ahead with non-dominant eye. Then when I need to read something I can just look downward and my non-dominant eye should be able to handle that too. You know reading rules, scorecards, etc... Saves changing glasses to read.  We'll see how it works.!!

I am a little concerned because I had a blowout fracture in my right eye (non-dominant) as a kid which left me normal horizontal movement, but very little vertical movement in the eye.  So, I've never been able to keep both eyes open while shooting.  If I do open the right eye, it's looking at my wrist.....not the front sight or targets.

I have a dominant eye lense set up to see the front sight. Normal prescription for non-dominant eye. Thinking of shooting carry optics. What are your thoughts for corrective lenses for a red dot?

Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I use th eSSp top focals a swell. they actually release a lense with the magnifier on the bottom as well so you can mix and match if need be .

I wear readers (1.5) so they work for me. I can't use them with the red dot tough , it blurs the dot LOL!

I received my SSP glasses today and I'm very impressed with the initial view.  They don't feel as substantial as my Rudy's but they are extremely clear and the  top focal correction is only visible when the head is in an aggressive shooting posture..