Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corrective lens shooting glasses

mjkten

Do any of you (that need vision correction) use the shooting glasses that have the correction in the top of the lens?

I see that SSP has a kit that puts the correction in the very top of the lens to give us older shooters a sharper looking front sight.

I think this has also been called a machinists or mechanics grind...

I don't need too much help, but realize that I can't get a good clear look at the  front sight anymore without it.

What are your experiences?

Thanks,

Mike.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the SSP but only use the magnification lens in my right side. Tried magnification in both and target was too blurry.
It has been working well for me.
I have never needed glasses just cheaters as my eyes have aged and become harder to focus up close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I was thinking about using correction in right eye only.  Lasik surgery over 10 years ago has my distance vision plenty sharp but now I need help up close. 

I went to Walgreens and tried to do the best arms length correction,  so i can order the right lenses.

Edited by mjkten
phone too smart for me

7 hours ago, winterland said:

I have the SSP but only use the magnification lens in my right side. Tried magnification in both and target was too blurry.
It has been working well for me.
I have never needed glasses just cheaters as my eyes have aged and become harder to focus up close.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Wish SSP would do full lens readers. I like the one lens dominate eye capability with these, but when running and gunning or mag changes,the shift in focus with the top bifocal messes with me 

I got a pair with the close-up lens in the top, but it made the target so blurry, I couldn't use them.  I explained to the Dr. what I wanted, but it didn't work out.  So, I returned them, and explained again what I wanted to focus on - the front sight, or a little further out.  They remade the lenses for me, and the focus is good, but they are too "busy" for me.  I get eyestrain trying to use them, so I just gave up on this idea.  

I just use my regular glasses now.  The front sight isn't as clear as I like, but I accept that I am no longer 20. 

No longer 40, 50, or even 60, for that matter....  I guess I still do OK for 65. 

The best solution is to have good family genes for great eyesight!  LOL!  

The lenses with the correction in the top are best for handgun shooting... IMO. It allows you to keep your head in a somewhat normal location while looking forward and focusing on the front sight. I found it best to order the ones with one corrective lens and one plain lens. Obviously, choose the corrective lens for your dominant eye. You can also order these glasses with multiple color lenses in pairs (clear, yellow, smoke..). I like the yellow lenses in subdued conditions... especially clouds. They are a subtractive lens so they block a lot of the blue spectrum. Everything is much brighter and cleaner.  JIC you didn't know, the single eye correction is a technique commonly used for folks who prefer contact lenses and need some correction for reading. They will only use one contact in one eye. Your eyes will learn to balance. It takes a little while, but your eyes do learn to accept the different focal lengths without trouble.

9 hours ago, AussieTactical said:

So if I am reading the web site correctly, SSP only offer a range of generic magnifications, they dont make safety glasses to a prescription?

That's how many of us buy our reading glasses. 

I typically buy a plastic wrapped card with four sets of glasses at discount store. They last me a while and usually cost 4-5 bucks each.

Eye doctor said if I'm ok with those, so is he...

So having the basic correction of +1.25 or +2.50 works for a lot of us.

Mike.

6 hours ago, AussieTactical said:

Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something. I have astigmatism, so need corrective lenses for that in addition to a reading prescription. No low cost fix for me :-(

Ahhh, yes, that makes the issue a little more demanding. A good eye doctor will probably be able to help, although he probably WONT have the ability to work with glasss like SSP. My prescription glasses are good, but are not a wrap-around style. I have to use them with side shields. Also, the lenses are quite expensive and the correction is NOT in the top of the lens. >>Sigh<<.  I like my SSP glasses better.

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:19 PM, AussieTactical said:

So if I am reading the web site correctly, SSP only offer a range of generic magnifications, they dont make safety glasses to a prescription?

They do offer a full prescription package, but that looks like an extra pair of glasses that are mounted right behind the wrap around lens of the shooting glasses. 

Probably not what you're hoping to find.

I went to my Optometrist and him make a single vision prescription that is a compromise between near and far and gives me the ability to have a decent front site focus.  He had me bring my gun so we could make sure we developed a good prescription.  

21 hours ago, Unibrain said:

I went to my Optometrist and him make a single vision prescription that is a compromise between near and far and gives me the ability to have a decent front site focus.  He had me bring my gun so we could make sure we developed a good prescription.  

21 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Exactly what I did - works pretty well    :) 

Hey Uni & H-P J..... Quick question for you guys...

The single prescription is perfect for our use I think, rather than fool around with bi-focal lenses. So, here's the question.... Can you get a prescription like that in a GOOD quality ANSI/MilSpec pair of shooting glasses..?? You know, with wrap-around lenses..??  My current eye guy made up a pair for me, but I had to order side wings to cover the edges and couldn't get the lens color I wanted either.  I haven't seen anything like that around here..... Hence the question.

I had a set of Rudy's made. They ain't cheap.   You have to dig on the website to find the right form.  It's easier to call and you'll need to send the your prescription.  At one time they listed ANSI certification for the ImpactX lenses but I don't see it now.

Prices are w/out discount.    Get a code

Frame: Noyz / Frozen Ash [$199.99]
Lens: ImpactRx FreeForm TEK / Photochromic Clear [$360.00]
Full Anti Reflective Coating [$100.00]

TOTAL COST: $659.99.

32 minutes ago, Unibrain said:

I had a set of Rudy's made. They ain't cheap.   You have to dig on the website to find the right form.  It's easier to call and you'll need to send the your prescription.  At one time they listed ANSI certification for the ImpactX lenses but I don't see it now.

Prices are w/out discount.    Get a code

Frame: Noyz / Frozen Ash [$199.99]
Lens: ImpactRx FreeForm TEK / Photochromic Clear [$360.00]
Full Anti Reflective Coating [$100.00]

TOTAL COST: $659.99.

Hmmm... Really.??

Let's see now...  Right hand = New shooting glasses;  Left hand = Food for a couple of months or more.... and incessant complaining.... and constantly looking over shoulder for flying objects....   I guess it's pretty much a toss-up.

:ph34r:

I can rationalize.  My vision is fairly stable so I don't need new glasses every year.  It's fairly easy to get a 20% off code for Rudy and you can save a bit by dropping the anti-reflective coating.  I also do this out of my pre-paid medical so it's pre-tax dollars.

Hmm, well that does make a difference..... I guess.

I am afraid MY rationalization would be far more drastic than that... I know quality costs money. But there is a limit to my understanding. Sometimes you just have to say NO.!!!

But I'm happy for you.!! :)

I ordered the SSP top vision combo kit that should let me have correction in the right eye only.

I'm looking forward to seeing that front sight at the range.

I'll repost here when I've had a chance to try them out.