Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back to Glock. I have a couple questions.

brianr34

About 5 years ago I started shooting handguns.  Glock was the first gun I bought and used in IDPA.  Since then, I have tried many different handguns.  Part of it was fun trying out different guns and I suppose I was looking for the perfect gun.  

Well, I decided to try Glock again and my plan is to not change this time.  I picked up a new G17 Black Vickers edition.  I really like the RTF2 texture.  This version does not seem quite as aggressive as the original fish gills version, but I still like it.  This version comes with the Wilson combat black U shape and gold bead front.   I have never used a U shape rear or a gold bead sight.  I think I will just remove those and sell them.  

Initial questions to set up my Glock.  

For sights, I was thinking about Dawsons since they have many options.  Their standard set is a 0.225 tall rear with a 0.205 tall front.   I like the idea of starting out with a shorter rear sight.   For ammo, I only use Blazer Brass 124gr.   If anyone has feedback on using this ammo with Dawsons, I would appreciate info on what you used to get POA=POI?

For my trigger setup, I am going to keep it fairly simple initially.  Going with polish job, Glock minus connector and reduced power firing pin block spring.   I want to keep the Glock reliability and would also prefer to keep the stock striker.  

With the Blazer ammo, would it be reasonable to go with the Wolf 5lb striker spring and still get 100% reliability?

5lb striker spring will set anything off.  As for sights, Dawson, TTI, Vogel, Warren they are all good.  You can even mix and match.  The TTI and Vogel's tend to shoot above poa which I think is a good thing.  Running at speed shooters tend to shoot low,  most no shoots are at the bottom half of targets and sometimes leaving only a head shot.  So having the gun print a little high is good.  Also on steel you can aim low and see more of the steel.  The TTI's are also stainless steel and I believe dlc coated so no rust worries.

Sights are a pretty personal choice and you may go through a few sets before you find what you like. I've been running Warrens for at least 10 years on a variety of different pistols. With that said, I think Dawson makes the best FO front sight for glocks regardless of the rear. Dawson's fronts have a wider base that some of the other brands don't have. I know it may get expensive but don't be afraid to order a couple of different sizes (widths, heights). 

I use Sevigny sights and american eagle 124gr. is way better than BB 124gr. AE124 groups better with stock glock and my KKM barrel

and isnt as hot as the blazer brass.. my sevigny's are .250 high rear and a .245 high front sight

Personally I use wide cut rear (.180") black on black Heinies. All of the Glocks I have ever owned since 1992, 9mm, 40S&W, .45acp and 357SIG, shoot to POA/POI at 25 yards. For fiber optics, Taran's are the brightest because he uses a SS screw on the front that reflects light from below. But before you switch out anything, why not get a couple matches under your belt, you might like the gold bead.

Get the Dawson sights in the height they recommend.  They will likely be fine, but if they don't shoot to the POI you like they'll send you a new front sight for free to get you to the right POI with their Perfect Impact Policy.  And yes you'll be fine with any primers with a 5lb. striker spring.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.   I am looking forward to shooting Glock again.  

Bigtimelarry, I might give AE124 a try.   I have never had a single problem with Blazer, so I have not tried anything else.   Which ammo would have softer primers?

Southpaw, yes it is hard to beat Dawsons policy of giving you additional sights until you get it right.  

7 minutes ago, brianr34 said:

Thanks for all the feedback so far.   I am looking forward to shooting Glock again.  

Bigtimelarry, I might give AE124 a try.   I have never had a single problem with Blazer, so I have not tried anything else.   Which ammo would have softer primers?

Southpaw, yes it is hard to beat Dawsons policy of giving you additional sights until you get it right.  

I Never get light strikes with american eagle 124gr. in matches and i use a 4.5lb striker spring.  stock is 5.5

1 minute ago, brianr34 said:

I was just comparing AE124 to BB124 and at least by numbers, AE has 142 PF compared to BB of 135.    AE is $12 a box vs BB at $10.  

I am going to grab a couple boxes of AE to give it a try.  

The best way to tell is to shoot them back to back and you'll see.. Blazer Brass 124gr felt hotter and snappier.

3 hours ago, brianr34 said:

Fed ammo will

i.e. federal primers are the easiest to set off!

big, no I hate reloading more than cleaning guns, but it's a necessary part of getting to what happens after the beep.... And of course reloading doesn't really save you any money, it just let's you bust allot more caps for the same $$$$ spent.

Edited by 9x45