Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Apex barrel help

Outcrydrummer

Ok so I got my semi fit barrel in the other day. 

I took my time and fitted it to the pistol. Only fitting I needed to do was the overall length to get it to go into battery. I filed this portion until it would go into battery and take a finger push to get it to release from battery. 

Barrel was a snug fit in the slide installing the barrel but once in it moves freely. I'm not having to beat it in it just needs to be just right for it to slip in there, if that makes sense. 

Anyways so the m&p functioned as normal and just slightly hung up out of battery if you ride the slide forward. Most of the time it hangs then releases itself into battery. If not it takes a hair of finger to get it to go into battery. After watching the video's that was what was considered to be a good tight fit and what I was after. 

Well tested the barrel and function today and I was both excited and worried. 

The barrel shot extremely well with some new ammo I have so I was estatic about that. 

However, 

as the pistol gets hot the slide acts hung up closed. The pistol still shoots etc just fine and cycles minor pf loads but it takes all of my grip to grab the slide and rack it back. There is no unusual pressure once it frees battery it's just getting it to that point. 

Anyways has anyone else experienced this???

My gut says I need to take a file stroke or two maybe off the oal of the hood so it doesn't bind when it gets hot and expands fractionally. 

But before I did anything like removing material I wanted to check here. 

Please chime in if you had this info or with how much force it takes to get your barrel to drop from battery with your semi fit barrel. When the slide is disassembled and barrel installed and at battery it takes just a little finger pressure to get it drop of battery, cold.......

Thanks guys!!!!!!!

41 minutes ago, Outcrydrummer said:

I checked it cold again and i think instead of the approximate 2lbs of pressure to unlock from battery is probably sitting at more like 6lbs. 

Im gonna clean everything and take 1 stroke off the overall length. 

Sounds like a stroke or two will suffice. I have two that I've fitted and after some dry fire and about 500 rounds of break in it wears in perfect. No hanging and slides right into battery. 

Instead of a file, why not just stone the barrel hood smooth, then polish?

Filing it possibly left a rough surface, which might be what is causing the hang up.

Sure, a stroke with a file will fix the issue, but wear of the rough surface will eventually shorten the hood and lead to some slop.

No wrong answer, but if it was me, I would stone it a bit and try it. Stoning removes less material than a file and leaves a smoother surface.

On my apex barrel I filed till it was close, then finished with a stone. Hundreds of rounds later functions fine with live fire,

just a hint of tightness when manipulating slide by hand. Basically no change since fitting.

Then again, maybe its just my OCD kicking in...

Mark

Edited by mpom
Added sentence.

Mine was slight pressure to lock initially but loosened up over time. You can use some dykem to see if there is uneven areas of pressure instead of just filing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

al23 the problem is that it only does this when its hot from being shot. I'm not sure the dykem etc would stand up to the heat etc at that point.

I will just take a better look at the barrel next time after shooting it. I'm betting the rest will be dirty with the exception of the high spot causing the interference. I'm also going to call apex tomorrow and get their take on it. It's something I'm sure they have seen or dealt with before.

How many rounds are through the gun with the new barrel at this point? If it's less than 500, I'd run more rounds through it.

IMO the biggest gain in accuracy is the additional pad that rests on top of the locking block. The one which wedges the slide upward when the gun is closed, and which delays the barrel unlocking from the slide when the gun fires.

The hood length fit isn't as crucial to accuracy in my opinion and if you're sure that's the problem, fittzing the hood length is definitely where I'd go first.

Also when you have a gun that's stuck shut, you can usually show clear by gripping the slide hard in an overhand grip with the weak hand and smacking the back of the grip with the heel of your strong palm really hard.

Don't try to retract the slide in the traditional fashion. Lock the slide in place and drive the grip forward. That'll allow you to produce far more force, and do so using a sudden impact which actually knocks things loose.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Thanks for the info guys. 

I ended up using very fine ceramic sharpening stones to polish the hood where i had filed. That seems to have resolved the issue. 

It was a crazy day. 4 weak primer strikes which caused me to have to put the stock striker spring back in which seemed to fix the issue.

Then i had a follower stick in a mag with the tti basepad. 

Another item to check is the fit of the cartridge in the chamber.  After I fit the barrel, the overall length with the bullets being used needed to be shortened.  Even after that, when it was hot, it would still hang up closed when you needed to remove the round from the gun.  I ended up shortening up my ammo to 1.110 inches on everything.  I believe the chamber might be a wee bit short, so I probably need to get a reamer to touch it up.  

I throated my Apex barrel to take virtually anything out to 1.150" and it still shoots 1.5-2" at 25 yards off of bags.

One of the best things about the barrel upgrade is that factory M&P barrels are hardened and ruin reamers. The Apex cuts like butter.

Fuelie, I had the same issue using Montana Gold 124 HP's.  I had to go just below 1.11 in mine becaue above that they were into the lands, must have a short throat.  Did not have the same issue with FMJ RN.

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2017 at 8:30 AM, rider82 said:

Fuelie, I had the same issue using Montana Gold 124 HP's.  I had to go just below 1.11 in mine becaue above that they were into the lands, must have a short throat.  Did not have the same issue with FMJ RN.

Am able to pass the plunk test with 1.140 oal, 147gr Bayou flat nose. Would talk to Apex about the this issue.

Mark