svi vs Atlas Titan

osw333

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They are two different animals, the Titan is a semi-custom gun and the SVI is a full custom. the SVI costs about 2k more than the titan.

For me I would go Titan all day, I have shot one and it was awesome.  

I'll be on the third side of this. Buy the Atlas, order the SV. When you're ready to take delivery of the SV sell off the Atlas to offset the cost of the SV. You won't lose much (especially if you pick up a used Atlas) and then you get to have a sweet gun while you wait for an even sweeter one to be built.

Please do this so I can experience an Atlas and an SV vicariously through this thread haha

I've never shot or even seen an SVI but I do own a matching set of twin Titan pistols. They are VERY well made, accurate and 100% reliable. The slide feels like it rides on ball bearings and the <1 lb 7 oz triggers are the best that I've ever shot. Accuracy and reliability are also pluses. What's not to like? I really am at a loss to find any cons from these fine pistols.

I almost went with a atlas to begin with while my Sv is being built. I am 12 months into my limited build and can't wait. I held off on the atlas because my buddy sold me his limited which is a semi custom edge with 4 brand new mbx mags for a smoking deal. Sold my edge also. But if I had no gun to shoot while Sv builds it and you can get your hands on atlas I would. Adam builds great guns. But 2 ? for the Sv. 

I've never shot or even seen an SVI but I do own a matching set of twin Titan pistols. They are VERY well made, accurate and 100% reliable. The slide feels like it rides on ball bearings and the

Do you have them in 40sw? Does it feel balanced and shoots flat? I wish someone around me have one to test. I talk to Adam and he was super helpful. I do feel very good to purchase from him.

Sent from my SM-G935K using Tapatalk

Svi is one of top gun maker, they looks awesome and they used only the best material. Has anyone shot both gun? Does svi shoots better and its more reliable than atlas? I rather have gun that runs than just looks good.

Sent from my SM-G935K using Tapatalk

I have been reading this thread with a lot of interest....afraid I can't be of much help.  I have held, but never shot a SV.  It was very smooth and a great looking gun, but my next purchase of a .40 will most likely be an Atlas.  I really like what Adam is doing there and the customer service seems to be great.  After experiencing an issue that I couldn't fix myself, I really gained a new perspective on how important CS after the sale is.

Good luck with the purchase.

Edited by B585

Having shot a SV in 40 it was a pretty sweet gun, not sure it justified the price though. Guy at a local club is a 'sponsored' SV shooter I think. But again, even with my DVC not working that well, I couldn't justify the cost/wait of a SV

Never shot a Atlas. However, and take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, I can say I have heard absolute horror stories with the CS from Atlas. both here and on Doodie. Thats enough to turn me away from them.

18 minutes ago, Dutchman195 said:

Having shot a SV in 40 it was a pretty sweet gun, not sure it justified the price though. Guy at a local club is a 'sponsored' SV shooter I think. But again, even with my DVC not working that well, I couldn't justify the cost/wait of a SV

Never shot a Atlas. However, and take anything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, I can say I have heard absolute horror stories with the CS from Atlas. both here and on Doodie. Thats enough to turn me away from them.

And I've heard nothing but good things about Atlas CS from local shooters running his guns.

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

I suggest skipping both and finding a local guy to do your builds. You will be much happier in the long run.

That assumes there is a good smith is his area.   Unfortunately, they are not on every corner. 

1 minute ago, Maximis228 said:

Its worth a shot over paying double from a well known smith.

unless your "local guy" is a hack..... ask me how I know.

Now, if you find a good one....  a real pistol smith, not some guy repairing shotguns in his garage who also owns a Wilson catalog and a dremel...  you can save a lot of money and get a nice pistol. It wont have the same resale value, without a "name" on it - but if you are planning on keeping it, can be a good value. Ask around or ask the smith for referrals for similar builds...

personally I would buy a used gun from a known smith that has already take that hit on price for not being new.... 

1 hour ago, Maximis228 said:

I suggest skipping both and finding a local guy to do your builds. You will be much happier in the long run.

Nothing wrong with a competent local smith, but Atlas is awesome.  Adam's support is top-notch.  His 40s are just awesome. I do not get any kickbacks from Atlas....You will not be disappointed going with Atlas.

On 7/8/2017 at 9:13 PM, igolfat8 said:

I've never shot or even seen an SVI but I do own a matching set of twin Titan pistols. They are VERY well made, accurate and 100% reliable. The slide feels like it rides on ball bearings and the <1 lb 7 oz triggers are the best that I've ever shot. Accuracy and reliability are also pluses. What's not to like? I really am at a loss to find any cons from these fine pistols.

It is amazing how the slide feels.  That is the first thing I noticed when  my buddy got his Atlas and I checked it out.  I have nothing but respect for Atlas guns. Adam is great guy to work with also.

Haven't shot the SV, so please read the remainder of my commentary with that in mind.  Additionally, I'll only speak with respect to my experiences.

I do own a Titan in .40, and this is what I can say about the Atlas:

1. It works - and it shoots the standard length loads just as well if not better than the "special" longer oal loads.
  2. Gun feels extremely solid.  The weight feels like it's in the right places too.
  3. If you don't like aggressive texturing, the grip Adam uses is not something you will enjoy.  That said, if you like an aggressive grip, it's one of the best out there.
  4. I've got about 2,000 rounds down the pipe of mine at this point, and it basically feels like the day it arrived.  
  5. With respect to "flatness", it destroys any sort of polymer gun with respect to recoil impulse and sight return...again, haven't put it up against an SV so hard to say how it compares, but I'm certainly happy with it.
  6. Any time I've spoke with Adam, he's been top-notch, respectful, and given me more time on the line than I likely deserved, entertaining various questions.
  7. I had one of the set screws come loose from my grip after a practice session (and I lost it) - Adam and Gina overnighted me a new set.  I know it's a part that probably only costs .25$, but it's the principal. 

I've ordered a Chaos from Adam to try out Open, and if it shoots on par with the Titan, I won't regret it in the slightest.

14 minutes ago, Maximis228 said:

Everyone has anecdotal information. Some are more damning than others. Some are more praise worthy than others.

I edited out your link....  i read that guys post.  He obviously doesn't know much about extractors namely Aftec.

I've talked to Adam numerous times.....never that kind of response.  I have a friend who just got a custom 40 from Atlas and loves the gun.  Adam worked with him on a bullet feeding issue and never developed an attitude.  

Notice how I said anecdotal information... Just like all of the other personal experiences you all have...

Also, most guys who shoot 2011's don't know shit about the actual parts in the gun and how they work together.

I purchased a Aperio that Adam worked on 2 or 3 years ago.  Gun runs solid every day.  Only thing that has happened of note is the locking pin on the rear sight gave up and I had to replace the rear sight after a couple thousand rounds.  When I've talked to him he's been super friendly and helpful.   It's been a couple years though, so maybe that's changed.  More the OP's question, you can't go wrong really with either builder. Atlas will get you the gun sooner and I believe is somewhat less expensive than SVI.  SVI makes a top notch gun but I have no direct experience with them beyond seeing a few at matches.  The owners seem very pleased.   I'll cop to being an atlas fanboy, in so far as that's possible, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

Edited by Thaunk

I don't own an Atlas gun but at the end of Adams videos he always says shoot him an email with any questions about maintenance or buying a used gun or whatever and he will try to help. I sent him a message regarding a used gun that was within my budget but was up front that an Atlas was out of reach for me. He was extremely nice, going back and forth about some details of the gun I was looking at and said that if x was my budget the gun I was looking at looked like a great deal. 

He didn't have to take the time to do that but he did. I think that link posted shows one extreme case where you also aren't privy to both sides of the story. I have no affiliation with either Atlas or SV but both have been extremely helpful whenever I've sent them questions (the gun I bought was built up from an SV frame and components and they answered everything they could for me)

Edited by KrymSIX

I'll second what Maximis said regarding finding a local guy to build your gun.  Even a builder that's a couple of hours away is better than having to ship a gun to fix a small problem or make a minor modification.  You can easily be out $150-$200 in shipping depending on the gunsmith.  Some of the custom builders will cover the return shipping, but there's not many that will cover both ways.  You also have the risk of damage/loss when handing over your expensive custom gun to FedEx or UPS. If you're not capable of doing small jobs like adjusting an extractor, installing a thumb safety, adding a thumb rest, etc., you should think long and hard about using a custom builder that's half way across the country from you.