Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Technique for targets that force you to turn nearly 180 degrees

chenault

I'm pretty new, but I practice my fundamentals pretty hard so I'm looking for advice.  One thing I noticed that slowed me down on the last match was when I had to shoot at a target on my far left, then switch to a target on my far right.  Is there a technique for this?

I'm trying to figure out how to even position my feet for that.  This really killed me when the targets were each 15 yards from my shooting and switching between the two is just a big move. 

Shoot each target with a normal stance. After the first target, pull the gun in to your chest and pivot to face the next target with one step. As soon as the turn is completed start extending the gun back to the target.

I did some extensive testing of this in both dry fire with a par and timed live fire. FOR ME it is faster to almost do a jump with both feet, twisting my body in the air and replanting my feet in the direction of the next target. It's not as exaggerated as the word "jump" may make it sound.

I found I was more stable and could break the shoot sooner with this technique as opposed to keeping one foot down as a pivot.

In either technique, bringing the gun in toward the body as Jake describes is key.

I would encourage you to experiment as well.

I've always done it as Jake described and it works well. I'm going to try Jack's method, that sounds very efficient. I bring the gun into my chest and extend it for any transitions 90 degrees and greater

I don't know if the increase is actual or just perceived, but if I think of driving my "leading" elbow towards the target as I bring the gun in, the turn is more aggressive. I should probably test this in dry and live fire ?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

So after some dry fire and live fire practice I do like the pivot more than the shifting.   The pivot isn't quite as fast for me, but I'm able to square my body up with the target better and be more accurate on target.  Finding the target with my head first also made a big improvement.  

If I have multiple targets in front of me from left to right like the El Presedente drill.  Do I change the angle of my knees in order to point my upper body at the target or do I just rotate at the waist?  Wanting to build good fundamentals. 

Do the transition in the thighs. Try to rotate your *pelvis* using your legs. They're strong enough to both snap a transition and stop on a dime. Using your arms to move the gun or abs (twisting your waist) to rotate? You'll either be slow, or you will overshoot.

Doing it right:

(mute the audio so you can focus on what his body is doing. Sound makes you focus on the gun.)

Using your arms to move the gun or abs (twisting your waist) to rotate? You'll either be slow, or you will overshoot.

+1 for this!

I find using the arms or abs also results in misaligned sights more often than not.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

As soon as the last successful shot breaks on the left target, your eyes and head need to SNAP to the next target.  Bring the gun in a little from the extended arms length to allow for more aggressive turn, and then drive the gun aggressively toward the next target.  

For me, on the first/left target, your weight needs to be on your left foot with the right foot slightly rearward and with the toe slightly pointed to the next target.  After breaking the last shot on the first target, and during the transition to the right target, you weight shifts automagically to the right foot which is now pointing to that new target.

Hope this helps.

Ok to give a follow up.  These tips really sped me up.  Something I found, and I think it's more of a feel thing is to not only swing my head but really turn my hips, that helped a lot.  

For sure I notice when my hips and shoulders are not squared up to the target because my quality of shot falls away even when I think my dot is on the target.  Something I'm going to have to work on 

• 4 weeks later...

I would practice both.  If there was one target on left, one on right, and you needed to move forward after that it would be faster to rotate hips/knees.  If there were multiple targets on both sides I would rotate hips/knees during left string, then pivot your feet and repeat for target string on right.

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2017 at 3:28 PM, Jake Di Vita said:

Shoot each target with a normal stance. After the first target, pull the gun in to your chest and pivot to face the next target with one step. As soon as the turn is completed start extending the gun back to the target.

I do this and I found my accuracy to improve.  After engaging the first target, I feel the efficiency of pulling the gun to the chest as I'm only exerting energy to turn and not fighting the momentum and swing of my gun fully extended.

On 7/18/2017 at 4:01 AM, bradsteimel said:

As soon as the last successful shot breaks on the left target, your eyes and head need to SNAP to the next target.  Bring the gun in a little from the extended arms length to allow for more aggressive turn, and then drive the gun aggressively toward the next target.  

For me, on the first/left target, your weight needs to be on your left foot with the right foot slightly rearward and with the toe slightly pointed to the next target.  After breaking the last shot on the first target, and during the transition to the right target, you weight shifts automagically to the right foot which is now pointing to that new target.

Hope this helps.

After the turn I pretty much transition my energy into driving my arms/gun forward which for me by now naturally points on target.  With the eyes looking ahead of where I'm going, my arms will naturally drive there.  Just like driving a car, you drive towards where you're looking.

And as with Memphis and chenault are saying it helps to sort of keep the upper body square like a turret so transition with your thighs.  I don't have much practice with that but just moving around right here I take it you're gonna want have your knees bent to transition with the thighs.  I think moving with your thighs would be more for smaller angles tho.  With wide turns you're gonna want to move you're feet and do some footwork.

All pretty good tips here.  Nice reading what I'm thinking being formulized.