Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Reloading Bench Table Top

jbultman

Hey guys,  I've been using a heavy wood desk as a temporary reloading bench while we get settled into our new house. However, I'm at a point now where I'm planning and executing building a proper reloading bench.

I have all the plans laid out for what I want EXCEPT the work table top. 

What is everyone using for their table top?  

Thanks

I used grade A 3/4 inch plywood.  I didn't finish mine, but a friend stained his and put polyurethane on his top and it look good and cleans up nice too.  If you want a real heavy duty top I have seen benches with double 3/4 plywood that made for a real strong top.

I originally thought about plywood.  But, how did you guys take care of the rough edges of the plywood?  

I was thinking 2x4s or 2x6s and making a table top then screwing MDF to it to make a smooth work surface.  

My table top are two quarter sheets of MDF screwed together, so the thickness is about 1.5". The top is mounted on a table structure I built from 2x4.

Two 550 and one SQD are on the bench.

10 minutes ago, RudyVey said:

My table top are two quarter sheets of MDF screwed together, so the thickness is about 1.5". The top is mounted on a table structure I built from 2x4.

Two 550 and one SQD are on the bench.

What kind of structure build of 2x4?

How's it holding up? 

Edited by jbultman

I used double 3/4" plywood sheets with wood glue between them on a 2x6 frame and 4x4 legs.  Used a pine wood strip around the exposed edge and coated with polyurethane.

Go to a lumber supply, and ask if they have any damaged or un-usable solid core wood doors.  Best cost effective bench top by far.  You'll need some help, they can be HEAVY. 

Rip it up on a table saw to the dimensions you want, and finish edges with molding.  Or best case scenario, finish in Formica. 

My second option, is two layers of 3/4 MDF glued and laminated together, finished in Formica.  

MDF is heavier and more dense than plywood, and makes a much better bench top (when finished in Formica).  

7 minutes ago, jbultman said:

What kind of structure build of 2x4?

How's it holding up? 

Just a simple table structure, I got some brackets from HD, some 2x4 and made a simple table. I used this as an assembly table when I made furniture in the past. Really nothing fancy, but it works fine. Used to have a big workshop, but now I am very limited to space. Lower shelf holds my compressor, nail guns and hose wheel for compressed air.

IMG_4081.JPG

I have about $40 in my bench. Legs are doubled-up 2x4s. Entire frame work of 2x4s - with long diagonal 2x2 braces to triangulate the legs so it's rock solid.

Top is two sheets of 2ftx4ft plywood. Screwed the first one down then used about half a tube of wood glue and a few dozen screws to mount the second one and give me a cheap 1.5" thick top.

Works great.

Whatever you build, though, take the time to screw it to the wall right away. I waited a year before simply running two long screws into the studs and the difference is night and day when you're rocking even a really sturdy bench around with that pry bar that cycles your press. ;) 

I have two benches one is a 2x6 frame and top with a layer of rubber from truck mud flaps.  Surface is easy to clean and nearly indestructible.  Dillon 550 is mounted right over the leg area and the table does not flex but even with 3" lag bolts in the studs in the wall it wiggles.  I hate a wiggly bench.  

Just finished a second bench bench made with sandwhiched 2x4"s for the top. It is 3.5" thick and 24" wide and about 6 ft long.  Legs are designed to eliminate racking and wiggle.  Shelves underneath hold woodworking tools so Bench weighs about 300lbs.  It does NOT wiggle.  Total cost including heavy duty retractable casters was under $200

Spar Urethane is great for bare wood( 3 coats).  

Double up or get any solid scrap wood or door over 1 inch thick. 

One of my benches is thinner, and too springy.