Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Little video.

pkrhed

Don't know if this is the right place but I am a "beginner", sort of. New here anyway. I've been a gun nut for decades. I shot some IDPA in the late 90's. Took a break and tried again in the mid 2000's and actually got semi-serious. Started out and shot the classifier made highish marksman. Got a membership at a local indoor range then and pretty much religiously went 2 to 3 nights a week after work to put a couple hundred rounds through my CZ-75 (pre-B) and shot a match or two a month for a couple years. Got to be a pretty good pistol shot somehow. Never went to shoot the classifier again but was shooting with the Expert class before tapering off again. Never got real fast but more often than not would shoot "least points down" at the local matches which would have several Experts and Masters shooting. My job started requiring more travel and more OT and somehow shooting fell by the wayside.

So 2017 comes around. I shoot 1911's now, and love them. Nothing can ever beat the feel of the CZ in my hands, it's like a literal extension of my hand. But the timer doesn't lie and with the super crisp trigger and short reset of the 1911 I am "faster" (of course with me you have to use the term "faster" loosely) than with any double/single action pistol. Anyway so I got hooked up with some old shooting buddies and we're shooting USPSA. Not classified yet. I also realize I am much fatter and slower and the past decade of neglecting my pistol shooting has degraded my abilities more than I would have thought. Also I have no problem admitting that even if I jumped in with the abilities I had 12 years ago USPSA is a different beast than IDPA was. I've shot 3 classifiers so far and all indicators point to a C classification. :( I know if I work at it I can go up quite a ways in the next couple years. But I have a lot of work to do, so much time lost. 

So if I can make this work here is some vid. Yes I know I am old and fat and slow. I have lost 15 pounds in the last year and will continue that direction. No I'm not going to start jogging every morning and doing yoga and eating all green stuff, (Haha, I'll be 48 in August, old, fat, have gout, bla,bla, blah...) but I WILL take baby steps one at a time to move closer towards being the young warrior I use to be compared to what I am now.

So here's a vid or two, I swear I was so much faster 12-15 years ago. That's how I remember it. B)

First string was classifier CM 06-07 Steely Speed IV, all steel, second string was three of those commie IPSC targets then two steel poppers. You can see I got to the first firing position and my trailing foot hit outside the box and I had to bring it back to start shooting:

If I may make one suggestion: Don't ever pick up a gun again without looking at it. Eyes on the gun until you've got a solid safe grip.

It's also actually faster to pick it up with two hands. Get up underneath the rear sight with the weak hand and lift the gun off the table far enough to  effortlessly and quickly assume a proper firing grip the first time you get your strong hand on the gun.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

9 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

If I may make one suggestion: Don't ever pick up a gun again without looking at it. Eyes on the gun until you've got a solid safe grip.

It's also actually faster to pick it up with two hands. Get up underneath the rear sight with the weak hand and lift the gun off the table far enough to  effortlessly and quickly assume a proper firing grip the first time you get your strong hand on the gun.

That makes a lot of sense. I was spending the whole match trying to concentrate on the first target. Many of the stages you couldn't see the first available targets from the start position so I'd stare of in front of me listening for the beep and was reminded by a couple other shooters to look at where I would be going/shooting. Of course it makes sense if you don't actually start with your gun in your holster, "first things first" is to get the gun in a good grip and go from there. Thanks!

In this case, the gun is literally your first target.

The primary risk isn't losing time. It's managing to pick your 1911 up by the trigger and dragging it across the table in a manner that deactivates the safety.

Always chose safe & consistent over fast and risky. We *are* playing with live ammo.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

A guy at a local match got DQed because he did something similar. But he missed a bit and ended up playing spin the bottle with his pistol thus sweeping everyone behind him which is how he earned the DQ.