Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help! WST 147gr FMJ

4n2t0

I'm having trouble making PF with WST+147gr FMJ out of a Ruger SR9. I'm currently at 3.6gr but I don't have any experience with WST and since load data is non existent I'm not sure how hard I can push it. Any suggestions?

P.S. I've searched the forum but it seems the majority of people are loading coated 147gr with WST.

Edited by 4n2t0

4 minutes ago, microham said:

Sorry I was thinking WSF, you are right. 

No worries, I appreciate the thought.

I love WSF but I've got that load down pat (3.9gr or 4.0gr depending on the season).

Edited by 4n2t0

I run WST in 45, not 9mm.  From my previous research IIRC, once you get past ~3.7gr with a 147gr bullet you see very little increase in velocity (or none), but the pressure gets very high.  Hodgdon will not give recommendations on this load.

I use 3.4 WST with a 147 Ibeji FP  1.130 oal  CCI primers and  average 915 fps for 134 power factor  at 55 deg last fall very soft very clean load. Have not tried with a  jacketed bullet, Ibejis have been flawless and at $88 per thousand hard to beat. I will rechrono in warmer weather now to get  data but i have not seen any difference in function or accuracy at last weekends match. On another note you may want to consider Power Pistol 4.0 grains with same set up averaged 901 fps 132 power factor out of XDM 5.25. Power pistol is very versatile in 9mm hornaday has some great data. 

Or hang onto it if you switch to 135s or 124s someday.

Hoenstly I suggest you play with some coated bullets. Most of us never go back to FMJ once we've tried them. A coated 147 might be making PF with that load.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

On 7/6/2017 at 10:32 AM, jhgtyre said:

My Hodgdon manual from 1991 lists WST for 124gr bullets but not for 147's.  I would save the WST for other loads and go with something else for those 147's.

What does the manual show for the 124gr bullets?  I'm guessing 4.2?  Thanks.

6 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Or hang onto it if you switch to 135s or 124s someday.

Hoenstly I suggest you play with some coated bullets. Most of us never go back to FMJ once we've tried them. A coated 147 might be making PF with that load.

I wish I could play with coated bullets. Us "Snow Mexicans" don't have nearly the same cornucopia of choice. Basically there's only one real manufacturer slinging their coated (Hi-Tek 2) products and to be completely honest they're a subpar projectile. Uneven coating, misshaped projectiles, and weights that can vary by 3grs.

Edited by 4n2t0

On 7/5/2017 at 7:49 PM, 4n2t0 said:

I'm having trouble making PF.... I'm currently at 3.6gr but I don't have any experience with WST and since load data is non existent I'm not sure how hard I can push it. Any suggestions?

I've been told to measure case bulge right around the .200 mark for the 9.

21 hours ago, 4n2t0 said:

590202ee55c28_9mm_WST.jpg.7a670da6562481

Yeah my old book shows that same basic range.  The deal is that Hodgdon quit recommending that powder in 9mm for a reason.  Assuming that you know better than they do is probably not wise.  Going with current, published, data is much safer.

2 hours ago, jhgtyre said:

Yeah my old book shows that same basic range.  The deal is that Hodgdon quit recommending that powder in 9mm for a reason.  Assuming that you know better than they do is probably not wise.  Going with current, published, data is much safer.

I don't "know" better than Hodgdon, or anyone else for that matter, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't safely test to find out. There are some great loads out there that aren't supported by published data.

Edited by 4n2t0

I finally met power factor, here are the details:

Gun: Ruger SR9/9E

Brass: Mixed

Primer: Fiocchi

Powder: WST 3.8gr

Projectile: CamPro 147gr RNFP (Thick plated projectile, manufacturer suggests using FMJ data)

OAL: 1.135

Weather: 25°C

Avg: 891

ES: 16

SD: 6

PF: 130

*Note: I weighed the charges by hand so I expect the ES and SD to be slightly higher once I get it flowing through the 650 .

The load shot well and was plenty accurate for my purpose. WST seems to burn pretty clean but I won' be able to confirm until I get through at least 300 rounds. I don't see any reason to shy away from this load and will continue to buy WST as long as it remains on sale locally. I know pressure signs are very difficult to assess for handgun loads but here are 8 recovered cases for anyone who's curious.

5971549da76b1_WSTcasings.thumb.jpg.c091298f6796c7b32d407f083c1c7004.jpg

Edited by 4n2t0

Just closing the loop...

I wanted to see if the velocity would continue to rise if I loaded 4.0gr, here are the details:

Powder: WST 4.0gr
Projectile: CamPro 147gr RNFP (Thick plated projectile, manufacturer suggests using FMJ data)
Weather: 23°C

Avg: 928
ES: 21
SD: 7
PF: 136

Here are 8 recovered cases:

WP_20170726_002.thumb.jpg.456157ca078b3ab1b24e22e0721d460e.jpg

As you can see the velocity did go up and the primers still look good. I believe this additional information confirms that my 3.8gr is safe.

Here's the original 3.6gr data:

Powder: WST 3.6gr
Weather: 23°C

Avg: 872
ES: 17
SD: 6
PF: 128

I was actually making power factor but it was too close for comfort, especially since WST is reverse temperature sensitive.

Edited by 4n2t0

I used to run 3.6 grains under a hardcast lead 147TC and it put me right at 135PF in my M&P 9 Pro.  When working up the load I took it up a bit higher and WST will get "peaky" but it does it at a good bit higher PF than we run.  WST is fine for USPSA minor PF loads.  Just don't try to duplicate factory +P or +P+ loads with it, I think you will find that you don't like the results.

Your data looks fine to me.