Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC Open gun ejection advice needed 9mm Major

rr4406pak

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had 2 9mm DVC Opens now. First one was flawless till 5k and the comp cracked. 2nd one has had a few malfs but is pretty solid in about 4k.

With my first gun before I fired a shot I replaced the optic with a DP pro on a cheely mount and added an aftec extractor. After that it was flawless. 2nd gun came with the same optic set up, taken from my 1st gun and put on the new one by STI. They left the factory extractor and so have I so far. Maybe that's why I've had a few malfunctions when the other one didn't but so far it runs well and I haven't been motivated to change it out.

This is to say my gun was a decent gun, however, I read ahead and knew enough that the stock optic/mount set up was the primary cause of issues for ejection (or so it seems). I'm not sure why sti hasn't tried to go with an offset mount from the factory to avoid these issues completely. The cost of the offset cheely mount is $90, and you can sell off the stock mount for $50 in about 5 seconds. So for $40 I think you can make a serious step towards more reliable ejection..

Whether it's reasonable to have to put $40 into a 3700 gun to get it to run is another conversation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

11 hours ago, shooterDrew said:

I've had 2 9mm DVC Opens now. First one was flawless till 5k and the comp cracked. 2nd one has had a few malfs but is pretty solid in about 4k.

With my first gun before I fired a shot I replaced the optic with a DP pro on a cheely mount and added an aftec extractor. After that it was flawless. 2nd gun came with the same optic set up, taken from my 1st gun and put on the new one by STI. They left the factory extractor and so have I so far. Maybe that's why I've had a few malfunctions when the other one didn't but so far it runs well and I haven't been motivated to change it out.

This is to say my gun was a decent gun, however, I read ahead and knew enough that the stock optic/mount set up was the primary cause of issues for ejection (or so it seems). I'm not sure why sti hasn't tried to go with an offset mount from the factory to avoid these issues completely. The cost of the offset cheely mount is $90, and you can sell off the stock mount for $50 in about 5 seconds. So for $40 I think you can make a serious step towards more reliable ejection..

Whether it's reasonable to have to put $40 into a 3700 gun to get it to run is another conversation...

I asked an STI rep if they had any intentions of changing to a 90 degree mount- No was the answer.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/5/2017 at 6:22 PM, Kepo said:

I was having the same problems with mine after about 1k rounds. Went with a aftec extractor and cheely setback mount because I was getting fed up. Runs great now plus I like the lower sight picture. It will run Remington umc 115gr with a 8 or 7 pound spring. Major loads I'm using are 124 pd hp @ 1.165" 8.1 gr hs6 

I was having the extraction problems as well.  Heard about the Aftec extractor and changed that and it fixed my problem.  I am using 124gr JHP MGBs @ 1.160 OAL with 7.0 grs CFE @ 1440fps

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have tried to contact STI multiple times to see if they had in advice but they will not return my call or email. I own a $3500 gun that has malfunctions all the time. I have tried everything but changing the mount, I'm not a fan of the 90 degree mounts. It is irritating that STI won't call or email me back at all.  Outside of spending another $400 for an RTS2, I have no idea what to do. Anyone have anything else I can try?

2 hours ago, fatjoe123111 said:

I have tried to contact STI multiple times to see if they had in advice but they will not return my call or email. I own a $3500 gun that has malfunctions all the time. I have tried everything but changing the mount, I'm not a fan of the 90 degree mounts. It is irritating that STI won't call or email me back at all.  Outside of spending another $400 for an RTS2, I have no idea what to do. Anyone have anything else I can try?

What kind of malfunction? 

50 minutes ago, Bdh821 said:

What kind of malfunction? 

Stove pipes. The bottom of the optic mount is beat up. I have put an aftec extractor in it, tuned the mags, changed brass and work on loads. I haven't changed the ejector, I have been looking into that part a little more. But at this point its kind of the principle that the gun won't function I have been sinking money into a new gun and the company that made it won't contact me back or anything. 

2 hours ago, fatjoe123111 said:

Stove pipes. The bottom of the optic mount is beat up. I have put an aftec extractor in it, tuned the mags, changed brass and work on loads. I haven't changed the ejector, I have been looking into that part a little more. But at this point its kind of the principle that the gun won't function I have been sinking money into a new gun and the company that made it won't contact me back or anything. 

I'd be upset if STI wouldn't return my calls/emails. I had the same problem with stovepipes on my Trubor. I had my gunsmith tune the ejection pattern (filed the ejector). It was better but still had the occasional stovepipe. In talking with him, he said the only way I was going to get consistent ejection was to only use one brand of brass, loaded the same way, and then he could tune it for consistent ejection. In my mind that kinda defeated the purpose of using 9 major so I decided to go with a 90 degree mount. $100 later and I haven't had one malfunction since Sept 2016. I use range pickup brass and use all the brands (except the stepped cases). I realize it's the principle of the thing, but for the sake of your sanity, spent the hundred bucks and get a Cheely 90 degree mount. You won't regret it.

Edited by Bkreutz

It's pretty obvious the problem is caused by parts that don't come with the gun.  I'd imagine the gun would run fine without the dot and mount.  Seems like to best way to a happy solution would be to concentrate on what is really causing the problem.

It blows my mind that they still sell the guns with slide rides mounted directly over the ejection port. Maybe it’s fine with 38 but with 9 it’s clearly the problem. It’s easy to find offset mounts that would allow keeping the slide ride or they could just make the jump to the micro dots- pick a brand- and be done with it and have a lot more happy open gun customers

20 hours ago, Bkreutz said:

I'd be upset if STI wouldn't return my calls/emails. I had the same problem with stovepipes on my Trubor. I had my gunsmith tune the ejection pattern (filed the ejector). It was better but still had the occasional stovepipe. In talking with him, he said the only way I was going to get consistent ejection was to only use one brand of brass, loaded the same way, and then he could tune it for consistent ejection. In my mind that kinda defeated the purpose of using 9 major so I decided to go with a 90 degree mount. $100 later and I haven't had one malfunction since Sept 2016. I use range pickup brass and use all the brands (except the stepped cases). I realize it's the principle of the thing, but for the sake of your sanity, spent the hundred bucks and get a Cheely 90 degree mount. You won't regret it.

I agree, I shoot for fun and just use range brass. So using just one kind of brass does defeat the purpose of 9 major. At least for my application. 

5 hours ago, shooterDrew said:

It blows my mind that they still sell the guns with slide rides mounted directly over the ejection port. Maybe it’s fine with 38 but with 9 it’s clearly the problem. It’s easy to find offset mounts that would allow keeping the slide ride or they could just make the jump to the micro dots- pick a brand- and be done with it and have a lot more happy open gun customers

This is a known problem and they kind of turn a blind eye to it. They would sell alot more open guns. At least what I can see they are loosing ground to companies like CK (just ordered a gun from them) because of issues like this. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 3:36 PM, shooterDrew said:

No my 38 super was a pain in the ass out of the box needed to put a aftec in, that fixed it 38 super and super comp shoots flawlessly now.

On 11/7/2017 at 6:24 PM, fatjoe123111 said:

I tried a million times before don't bother, go to the web site and fill out the service ticket, they will emial you in a day or two.