Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first rig is finally ready! Woot Woot!

Been taking some time (and money!) to purchase and get everything needed to start my first match. I think I am 99% ready! Wanted to make sure I had everything before I went and looked like a fool. lol

Anyways, I went with a Glock 34 gen 4 with FO Dawson sights, TTI 3/4 mag bases, CR Speed Belt, Bladetech DOH holster and DDA Racer mag pouches. Will be running USPSA Production.

Extras I put in my bag are...

Squib Rod

Multi Tool (and Glock tool)

Mag Brush

Jewlers brass hammer with punches

FO sight extras

Batteries for muffs and extra foamies

Towel

Sunscreen (I'm in AZ!)

300rds of 9mm

2 extra Glock mags

Mag loader

If you can think of anything else I am missing let me know! I am super excited to get my first match under my belt. Got all signed up for the safety course first that my local range makes you take before you can do any matches.

Thanks for reading!

Weev-

IMG_80861_zpsjtqhxgss.jpg

IMG_80841_zpscogrrypb.jpg

IMG_80851_zps7p2aa4io.jpg

Congrats, very nice gear!  Depending on your club, some expect help with set-up and tear down so if your club does, I would recommend a pair of mechanics gloves so you don't mess up your hands with splinters or cuts setting up and tearing down stages.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Hat, muffs, glasses, water, snacks, bandaids.    :) 

Yup... good list.

You'll need lots of bandaids in three different sizes. Small ones for your fingers... Larger ones for your knees... And great ol' big ones for your EGO..!!!

Ask me how I know..!!!

3 hours ago, BC27 said:

Congrats, very nice gear!  Depending on your club, some expect help with set-up and tear down so if your club does, I would recommend a pair of mechanics gloves so you don't mess up your hands with splinters or cuts setting up and tearing down stages.

Yes, I am told everyone pitches in to tear down the matches, good call on the gloves.

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Hat, muffs, glasses, water, snacks, bandaids.    :) 

I am a 4 eyed nerd so the glasses are included automatically. haha

5 minutes ago, hobbit99 said:

Yup... good list.

You'll need lots of bandaids in three different sizes. Small ones for your fingers... Larger ones for your knees... And great ol' big ones for your EGO..!!!

Ask me how I know..!!!

Didn't even think about bandaids. Better get some new ones cause all the ones at my house are Dora and Peppa Pig :lol:

1 minute ago, Weever82 said:

Yes, I am told everyone pitches in to tear down the matches, good call on the gloves.

I am a 4 eyed nerd so the glasses are included automatically. haha

Didn't even think about bandaids. Better get some new ones cause all the ones at my house are Dora and Peppa Pig :lol:

Don't know about Peppa Pig, but Dora would probably be OK.. :D

5 hours ago, Weever82 said:

Been taking some time (and money!) to purchase and get everything needed to start my first match. I think I am 99% ready! Wanted to make sure I had everything before I went and looked like a fool. lol

Anyways, I went with a Glock 34 gen 4 with FO Dawson sights, TTI 3/4 mag bases, CR Speed Belt, Bladetech DOH holster and DDA Racer mag pouches. Will be running USPSA Production.

Extras I put in my bag are...

Squib Rod

Multi Tool (and Glock tool)

Mag Brush

Jewlers brass hammer with punches

FO sight extras

Batteries for muffs and extra foamies

Towel

Sunscreen (I'm in AZ!)

300rds of 9mm

2 extra Glock mags

Mag loader

If you can think of anything else I am missing let me know! I am super excited to get my first match under my belt. Got all signed up for the safety course first that my local range makes you take before you can do any matches.

Thanks for reading!

Weev-

Just something to consider. I absolutely hated the floppiness of the stock hanger on the Blade-techs. If/when it starts to bug you, take a look at the Boss hanger (or something of similar style). It was a night and day difference for me.

Looks like your gun is on the wrong side.  Other than that looks good though.

Lots of fluids, once you think you feel dehydrated it's too late, snacks to keep you going, gloves, and a hat. I definitely recommend a BOSS hanger too. 

Four mag pouches will get you started for sure, I still haven't added a fifth, but it's definitely on my to do list. Drop one early and you'll know why.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, Focker said:

I noticed that, too. My condolences...... JK.

I am even more of a freak than just being a lefty. I write and eat left handed, shoot a pistol right-handed, shoot long guns left-handed. Right side is strong side. ??? At least I don't have to deal with buying left-handed holsters. Long guns I shoot the right-handed ones fine from the "wrong" side of the gun.

22 minutes ago, Focker said:

Lots of fluids, once you think you feel dehydrated it's too late, snacks to keep you going, gloves, and a hat. I definitely recommend a BOSS hanger too. 

Yeah! It was harder to find a holster because some of the popular ones are RH only. Whats the difference with the BOSS hanger? I'm gonna put a few "power" bars and crackers in my bag now. With it 110 in the summer it's easy to get dehydrated for sure.

7 minutes ago, Beef15 said:

Four mag pouches will get you started for sure, I still haven't added a fifth, but it's definitely on my to do list. Drop one early and you'll know why.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

I have been tossing it back and forth to get another pouch. I'm gonna put a mag in my pocket and then load at "Make Ready", so I will at least still have 5 mags for the stage.

Just now, pkrhed said:

I noticed that, too. My condolences...... JK.

I am even more of a freak than just being a lefty. I write and eat left handed, shoot a pistol right-handed, shoot long guns left-handed. Right side is strong side. ??? At least I don't have to deal with buying left-handed holsters. Long guns I shoot the right-handed ones fine from the "wrong" side of the gun.

Oh thats horrible. lol

I do everything left handed/footed but my dad taught me to shoot rifles right handed because it's too much of a pain racking bolt actions and shooting AR's. My grandfather and pops are both left handed and shoot rifles left handed. Least they hooked me up. Ha!

47 minutes ago, Weever82 said:

Whats the difference with the BOSS hanger?

It is much more rigid and more adjustable. The stock hanger has a tendency to flex and move around a lot. It was especially frustrating and noticeable to me when trying to draw from anything other than standing upright and still. Plus I hated the holster constantly slapping my leg as I moved.

Lots of folks get by fine with the stock DOH so give it a try before you drop extra cash on it, but it made a world of difference to me.

57 minutes ago, Weever82 said:

Oh thats horrible. lol

I do everything left handed/footed but my dad taught me to shoot rifles right handed because it's too much of a pain racking bolt actions and shooting AR's. My grandfather and pops are both left handed and shoot rifles left handed. Least they hooked me up. Ha!

Funny thing, you'd think shooting long guns from the wrong side would be a pain. My experience isn't so. Like I said my right side is my natural "strong side" even though my left side is more dextrous. Writing and eating left-handed, swinging a bat or kicking a ball right handed or footed. I really think it may be because one of the first rifles my dad handed me to shoot was a big 50 cal muzzle loader that probably had a 24-26 inch octagon barrel. Didn't kick bad but it was heavy, front heavy. I think I put my right (strong) arm out front to hold that big gun up and my left (more dextrous) trigger finger just worked out. 

So all through my shooting life I picked up a long gun lefty and shot. Bolt actions, semis, shotguns, whatever. Long story short, years back, I found a lefty bolt action I was interested in, and asked the proprietor to hand it down. I shouldered it lefty, racked the bolt, and it was just... wrong, somehow. Didn't know why right away, so I did it a couple more times. It hit me. I could see how it could be more natural with practice to use it that way, but I was so use to being on the "wrong" side of the gun I always took just a half second to watch the round going in the chamber. Being on the "correct" side I missed that.

In carbine classes in recent years the instructors at a nearby class make quite a point of teaching to make the rifle ready and then turn it to do a visual "chamber check" before anything else. They repeatedly asked me when I failed to do so "how do you KNOW there's a round in the chamber?" I say "because I watched it go in when the bolt slammed forward! Remember, I'm on the wrong side of the rifle, I don't have to turn it over to see the ejection port." That was good enough for them.

4 hours ago, Weever82 said:

Yeah! It was harder to find a holster because some of the popular ones are RH only. Whats the difference with the BOSS hanger? I'm gonna put a few "power" bars and crackers in my bag now. With it 110 in the summer it's easy to get dehydrated for sure.

I have been tossing it back and forth to get another pouch. I'm gonna put a mag in my pocket and then load at "Make Ready", so I will at least still have 5 mags for the stage.

I have five mag pouches on my belt. I plan to add a sixth to my bag that can be installed for those occasional extra long 45 round courses we've done for "outlaw" matches.

Five is needed in Production, IMO. Every 2nd or 3rd match a stage breaks down into 4 reloads as the fastest stage plan. The rest of the time it's nice not having to turn around and find a mag if you feel yourself knock one off of your belt.

Shoot what you've got, for now. But you'll want another mag pouch eventually. :) 

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Actually, for your FIRST match, the ONLY thing you will absolutely need,

is SAFETY AWARENESS.

Don't worry, you won't win ...

Hell, you won't even place well ...

Slow it down, and be thinking   SAFETY,   SAFETY,   SAFETY.

Don't get DQ'd, and don't endanger anyone .

Oh, and have FUN    :) 

13 hours ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I have five mag pouches on my belt. I plan to add a sixth to my bag that can be installed for those occasional extra long 45 round courses we've done for "outlaw" matches.

Five is needed in Production, IMO. Every 2nd or 3rd match a stage breaks down into 4 reloads as the fastest stage plan. The rest of the time it's nice not having to turn around and find a mag if you feel yourself knock one off of your belt.

Shoot what you've got, for now. But you'll want another mag pouch eventually. :) 

I was actually thinking about purchasing another one for a spare but I will just get it ordered and throw it on the belt. Better safe than sorry I guess. Thanks

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Actually, for your FIRST match, the ONLY thing you will absolutely need,

is SAFETY AWARENESS.

Don't worry, you won't win ...

Hell, you won't even place well ...

Slow it down, and be thinking   SAFETY,   SAFETY,   SAFETY.

Don't get DQ'd, and don't endanger anyone .

Oh, and have FUN    :) 

Agreed! Don't worry, I won't be running any speed matches. I'm super nervous even though I've been shooting for years. All the unknowns,  I've watched a 1000 videos but it's all different when you are in the match. It's an excited feeling also. Like sneaking a girl into your room in highschool. :ph34r:

There is a guy at work that does USPSA that said I could go with him... but I don't really like the guy. :roflol:

Do the TTI +3/4 baseplates fit in the production box? Considering you can't load beyond 10 in prod anyway, seems as though you could have gotten away without those, at least for now.

Either way, enjoy your first match. I too am a lefty shooting a G34. Carry 5 mags on my belt, just in case.

2 minutes ago, TrackCage said:

Do the TTI +3/4 baseplates fit in the production box? Considering you can't load beyond 10 in prod anyway, seems as though you could have gotten away without those, at least for now.

Either way, enjoy your first match. I too am a lefty shooting a G34. Carry 5 mags on my belt, just in case.

I could have went without them but I figured why not... lol

Yeah they squeeze in the box just barely per all the videos online, so they are good to go.

You have way more than you need. Just go, have fun and get some experience. Go to as many matches as you can. I did not like my BT DOH. It was too far from my belt to be legal but you can worry about that much later. The BOSS hanger is good, there are some other aluminum brackets out there similar to the BOSS.
Everything else you have is top shelf, you should have a good time.
Let us know how it goes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Rig looks great! The one thing  I've learned to take is a portable chair. Standing around for 6 hours at the local match gets hard on the lower back (at least for my 55 year old back)