Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why no love for the P09?

LeviSS

I don't own one, but have considered buying one several times.  Now I'm thinking about one for Carry Optics. I've handled them several times, but never been able to shoot it.

Another thread sparked my curiosity about why we don't see more of them.  I'm guessing partially it's because heavier gun is in Vogue right now.  But, people seem to do well with Glock, Sig, etc that are lighter.  Maybe those guys like striker fired guns more than they like heavier guns, so that's the way they go?  I actually prefer DA/SA quite a bit.

I heard some people mention that the design is different with the P series guns.  Are they that much different to shoot than the SP-01'S?

I'm just putting out feelers for the general consensus of why it might not be as good of a choice as I'd like it to be.

Edited by LeviSS

I ran one in carry optics is a great gun shoots great put a dpm recoil system in it shoots flat the only issue with it is the trigger is a horrible double action pull out cagen kit in it double action still sucks that's the only reason it is now my bed side gun 

The recoil characteristics are definitely different than an SP01.  It may not cycle as quickly, but I have no proof of that.  Mags are expensive and proprietary.  Trigger will most likely never make you as happy as a nicely tuned SP01.  You can adjust the backstrap on a P09, but on an SP01 you can mess with grip width which might be more beneficial.  Mags are wide up by the nose of the bullet, and the magwell isn't huge, so you can probably reload quicker with the SP01.

The weight is that strange in between area.  Not heavy like a shadow, not light like a Walther.  I like it.  I see no real difference in accuracy.  Maybe a slight edge to the P09.  They are really easy to work on.  I think SP01's look way better, but P09s are very inexpensive.  

I think they are great.  I shoot them all the time,  run them really hard and have never been bothered by the trigger.  Bottom line, I have never felt like it was holding me back in any way, but I could see it annoying an M or GM production shooter who usually shoots a Shadow.

I have a whole thread on tuning the P-09 for competition.  It details the step by step process I went through to get to the finished product.

It is a fantastic platform, and the DA is not horrible after you do the tuning.  

Search the thread and you will have plenty of info to get you going

Right.  A tuned P-09 trigger is not going to be as good as a tuned 75/85/97/SP-01/P-01 trigger, but a properly tuned P-09 trigger is still quite good.  You would not be disappointed in one.  Exceedingly accurate bushingless slide/barrel. Great pistol.

i'm not a fan of the grips and controls. that's what i don't like about them. they shoot great and can be tuned well. just the ergos don't work for me.

i much prefer the p10c and hope the release a non compact version sooner rather than later.

There are a lot of guys (myself kinda halfway included in this) who just find that plastic frames and striker-fire go well together, and metal frames with hammers go well together.

The weird bastard children in between (H&Ks, Sig Pros, etc) never really seem to gain a foothold in competition circles. They tend to be more popular with tactical guys.

Not arguing this is a legitimate viewpoint, merely that it's a common one.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

I'm going to push and say you should totally get one.  They can be found used in the low $400 range.  At the very least you will end up with a really durable, reliable and accurate handgun that holds 19+1 with a flush fit mag.  

P-09's are fantastic shooters. Put a Cajun Gun Works pro kit in along with some polishing and you've got something you can work with. No, it's not as good as a well tuned SP-01, etc, but still very nice for a polymer framed gun. 

I agree that the ergonomics aren't for everyone.  I modified the grip and the trigger reach on two P-09s using Sugru and JB-Weld to get it closer to a 75B shape and reach.  But the mechanical lock up and resulting accuracy cannot be beat in a production gun, in my opinion.  I've shot mine in bullseye matches for a year and have many videos of excellent results at 100 and 200 yards.  I haven't ever had any "bad" results at long distances with my original $400 used P-09, and I've won several local friendly bullseye matches with it, much to the consternation of my custom 1911 shooting buddies.  There are more videos than people have time to watch at youtube joemustang99. 

Joe

After fully cajunizing and adding Dawson sights to my P09, I'm really having a hard time deciding whether to take it or my CZC Shadow to the NC state match. Best sub $500 gun in my opinion. I did decocker version. No manual decocking or safety getting accidentally bumped up. My only negative is that Springer base plates onP09 won't fit IDPA box.

Edited by johes

Personal opinion but my P09 just feels big and clunky in my hand vs my SP01. I also think it feels just 'cheap' There is no doubt in my mind the P09 and P07 are both great guns, just feels like my P07 is better made. 

Just me though. 

There are a lot of guys (myself kinda halfway included in this) who just find that plastic frames and striker-fire go well together, and metal frames with hammers go well together.

***The weird bastard children in between (H&Ks, Sig Pros, etc) never really seem to gain a foothold in competition circles. They tend to be more popular with tactical guys.***

Not arguing this is a legitimate viewpoint, merely that it's a common one.

I never thought about it.... but I think you're correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The P09 just feels off. All the weight is in the huge slide and the pistol has a terrible trigger. If I'm going to shoot a plastic pistol I'm not going to waste my time with DA/SA. Come on CZ, let's see a full size P10!

I shoot the P-09 better in competition than my steel framed 75.  I can't explain it.  I want to like my 75 series better (I certainly admire its glassy smooth trigger pulls and crisp SA breaks and positive reset) but I don't have to try quite as hard with the P-09.  It tracks well, settles predictably, and is easy to work on myself.

I bought my P09 9MM because my P07 .40 S&W shot so well and because of Joe's videos I saw on the CZ Forum.

I wasn't disappointed.  First day at the range, 12 yds. off hand, first shot was a little low/left.  Took the second shot and could not see where it hit on the paper.  I'm trying to figure out how the hell I missed the whole darn target at only 12 yds.  Took the third shot and the hole got just enough bigger I could tell it.  Three shots (first three shots) from the pistol and it was a better group than some of my rifles shoot at 25 yds.

Yes, I was sold.  Went out and bought another in .40 S&W.

And yes, the CZ 75's feel better in my hand but for me it's all about how small the group is, not what feels good in my hand (unless it's a 2X2 feeling Glock that shoots patterns instead of groups, then the feel counts, too).  None of my CZ 75/85 pistols shoot with the P09 or P07.

Whenever people start putting a lot of emphasis on how their pistol  feels, about how it's as if it's made for their hands, etc., I always wonder what they're doing with their pistol where how it feels matters more than how it shoots. ;) 

2 hours ago, IDescribe said:

Whenever people start putting a lot of emphasis on how their pistol  feels, about how it's as if it's made for their hands, etc., I always wonder what they're doing with their pistol where how it feels matters more than how it shoots. ;) 

XD

It's because we spent all our money on the gun and there's nothing left for ammo so we're stuck dry firing all day and all night.

I would have picked up a P09 this year if it wasn't for the fact my trigger finger drags on the guard at the very end of it's travel.  I'm curious to see if an original P07 curved trigger would prevent this so I've been scoping out the used sections of my LGS.