Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

No DA trigger reset

I have a problem with my .45 ACP Witness. The trigger does not reset for double-action. I can sometimes get it to reset, but only if I let the trigger snap back when it is pulled fully rearward. It will not reset by just letting it move forward on its own. If I the hammer falls on a weak primer in single-action, I have to let the trigger snap back to the double-action position, and that doesn't always work. I have swapped the interrupter out, tried different springs, swapped out sears and polished everything trying to correct this, but nothing works to correct this. This is my carry gun, and I want it to be more dependable. Does anyone have any ideas of how to correct this?

I have thought about completely replacing the internals with new parts from Patriot Defense or Ben Stoeger, but that is cost prohibitive right now. I can carry my 4" Model 29 with .44 Special loads until I can find a solution, but it prints like a neon Picasso.

Then take it to a local gunsmith and have them walk you through troubleshooting and fixing the issue. Remotely troubleshooting this kind of stuff without pictures or detailed video of the issue happening is going to make it very difficult for people to assist you.

I generally avoid providing trigger action troubleshooting online because I don't want to be liable when someone who doesn't understand how it works, tries to fix it, and jacks something up which creates an unsafe gun. Is saving a few $$$ really worth risking having an Accidental Discharge due to screwing something up? Especially since this is your Carry gun??? If that is the case then I absolutely don't want any part of this.

Hindsight is always 20/20 when something tragic happens due to poor decisions leading up to the tragic event. Think long and hard about this before you end up doing something stupid.

Sounds like something is binding a little, obviously,  if you take the hammer spring out see if the hammer is rubbing somewhere like on each side of the frame.  

Seems like if the trs was broken it wouldn't snap back. I'm not very familiar with eaa guns but I'd check the lifter spring if it's got one and maybe under the disco and see if there's a burr. 

Thanks magpulled, I appreciate it. I'll give it another going over. I got to looking at it earlier, and it seems the interrupter (disco on a CZ), is not fully engaging the trigger bar. I've watched Bob Dunlap go over the CZ 75, which is what the Witness is designed after, and he mentioned working the angles of the contact surfaces for better engagement. The Tanfo TZ 75 was almost a complete clone of the CZ, and IMHO, had a better trigger design than the Witness series. Anyway, I very much appreciate your input.

Just an update: I figured out what the problem was. I had to take a couple of thousandths off the shoulders on the interrupter, change the angle slightly, and polish the engagement surfaces to achieve better contact. It runs like a top now. Thank you for your responses. Cha-Lee, I appreciate your response, and I understand you don't want to try to diagnose the problem either on the internet, or without some pics. However, I wasn't asking for a diagnosis, but merely asking if anyone else has had the same problem, and what they did to correct it. That being said, I do appreciate your input and I respect your last response. Thank you.