Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to make a Tanfoglio run with hammer spring X Y or Z

3 minutes ago, PatriotDefense said:

Hahahaha, yes....... and $200 if you call me to ask for help then tell me you dont think it'll work because you read different online.......

I am so totally going to start contradicting everything you actually should do.

"But Memphis said I should be able to run CCI primers and a 10 pound spring as long as I drill lightening holes in my BOLO to reduce lock time... and he's the one who made the how-to videos so I should obviously trust him over someone who builds them professionally ."

MemphisMechanic: Internet Certified Tanfoglio Armorer.

6 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

I am so totally going to start contradicting everything you actually should do.

"But Memphis said I should be able to run CCI primers and a 10 pound spring as long as I drill lightening holes in my BOLO to reduce lock time... and he's the one who made the how-to videos so I should obviously trust him over someone who builds them professionally ."

MemphisMechanic: Internet Certified Tanfoglio Armorer.

55733615.jpg

Actually ill just start forwarding everyone to my "Support Hotline"..... Bidding starts now on Memphis Mechanics direct Cell Phone Number!!!!!

Edited by PatriotDefense

Shimmed my XL650. Went from .0040 - .0045 to .0060. With CCI this is still doing the same things, sometimes you get lucky and it happens on first strike. Sometimes it takes two strikes.

Had to really wedge my shim in there, not sure I can get anymore.

Edited by CarlB86

48 minutes ago, CarlB86 said:

Shimmed my XL650. Went from .0040 - .0045 to .0060. With CCI this is still doing the same things, sometimes you get lucky and it happens on first strike. Sometimes it takes two strikes.

Had to really wedge my shim in there, not sure I can get anymore.

I wouldn't even consider CCI unless I could seat them at LEAST .008" with a visible dimple... and my guns run 100%.

Call Memphis and figure out what shim he used. Sounds lile you need a bigger one.

I get it some people have only CCI primers.  I myself find WSP easy to find, cheap to buy and 100% to ignite without tweaking my XL650. 

I am also curious to know once you added the shim to the XL650, do you run higher risk of igniting Federal primers during loading? Does the shim increase the force being applied to the primers during seating?

39 minutes ago, JusticeOfToren said:

I get it some people have only CCI primers.  I myself find WSP easy to find, cheap to buy and 100% to ignite without tweaking my XL650. 

I am also curious to know once you added the shim to the XL650, do you run higher risk of igniting Federal primers during loading? Does the shim increase the force being applied to the primers during seating?

Stop... stop, stop, stop, stop, STOP - with this internet folklore. 

The only reason people ignite any primers is due to the improper stroke they use (read too aggressive), or you/they fail to catch a crimped primer pocket or a double feed, etc. 

Edit: and I'm 100% sure I seat my primers deeper than you, and I've never set one off...

Edited by SoCalShooter69

Personally I have not lit off any Federal primers after loading around 20k of them, both manually and with auto drive.  Knock on wood...

It's not internet folklore that Mark 7 strongly advised not to use Federal primers with the auto drives, although I do anyways. With the auto drive, the decapping sensor catches every potential double feed or crimpped primers so that's not a concern anymore.  I have also crushed about a dozen of Federal primers sideways before any of them going off.

If the shimming of XL650 does increase the effective upstroke force significantly, I think people should be aware.  Not sure what/how much the true effect is though.

Word of warning on this mod. If you shim too much, for me it was .008" primer depth, then you can run into the primers flipping sideways when loading quickly. The rod ends up knocking them over while indexing to the next one.

1 hour ago, JusticeOfToren said:

Personally I have not lit off any Federal primers after loading around 20k of them, both manually and with auto drive.  Knock on wood...

It's not internet folklore that Mark 7 strongly advised not to use Federal primers with the auto drives, although I do anyways. With the auto drive, the decapping sensor catches every potential double feed or crimpped primers so that's not a concern anymore.  I have also crushed about a dozen of Federal primers sideways before any of them going off.

If the shimming of XL650 does increase the effective upstroke force significantly, I think people should be aware.  Not sure what/how much the true effect is though.

We've yet to set off federal primers with our Mark 7 driven 1050 in the shop and we have them set .012-.015 deep, and coming up to about 50,000 federal primers seated. 

8 hours ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

Call Memphis and figure out what shim he used. Sounds lile you need a bigger one.

Ahem .... "that's  what she said"

Ran over 200 rounds today of S&B primers. Mo deepa is NOT always mo betta!  last year i nearly threw out 15,000 of them when even a 22# wolff hammer spring wouldn't pop them 100%. They were crushing the compound when getting to 0.008"-ish deep. Now i seat them 0.0035 - 0.006" deep. The 15.5 Patriot Defense spring has been perfect setting them off.

The other thing is sorting head stamps. I don't  ! Probably should and would if i wanted to run a lighter hammer spring. But 5# 4oz da is good enough.

2 minutes ago, johnbu said:

Ahem .... "that's  what she said"

Ran over 200 rounds today of S&B primers. Mo deepa is NOT always mo betta!  last year i nearly threw out 15,000 of them when even a 22# wolff hammer spring wouldn't pop them 100%. They were crushing the compound when getting to 0.008"-ish deep. Now i seat them 0.0035 - 0.006" deep. The 15.5 Patriot Defense spring has been perfect setting them off.

The other thing is sorting head stamps. I don't  ! Probably should and would if i wanted to run a lighter hammer spring. But 5# 4oz da is good enough.

I can't tell you how many times I've been clowned for sorting by headstamp. Lol

39 minutes ago, SoCalShooter69 said:

I can't tell you how many times I've been clowned for sorting by headstamp. Lol

I'm guessing more times than you've had light strikes?

5 hours ago, PatriotDefense said:

We've yet to set off federal primers with our Mark 7 driven 1050 in the shop and we have them set .012-.015 deep, and coming up to about 50,000 federal primers seated. 

That's good to hear. I've loaded a couple thousand without lighting one off. I've switched to WSP  but have about 10k Federals. I may use them for big matches. 

57 minutes ago, B_RAD said:

That's good to hear. I've loaded a couple thousand without lighting one off. I've switched to WSP  but have about 10k Federals. I may use them for big matches. 

This is my primer sleeves since January

orca-image-1498919781505.jpg_1498919781903.jpeg

Edited by johnbu

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/3/2017 at 3:28 PM, MemphisMechanic said:

IMG_0473.thumb.JPG.42626a2711e28d260e9f0f9266b44d61.JPG

Background: light-strike city with a 14 pound PD spring in the back. Those are CCI. Even the 16.5lb EGD Medium spring didn't ignite them 100%

Foreground: Shimmed the seating bracket on the 650 and tried a batch of Winchesters. Those are all seated .005" - .008" below flush. Ran like a Swiss watch with a 13 pound PD spring.

The difference between the two is much more obvious than the photo shows. If they aren't obviously recessed into the case, they're high. Even with CCIs, although those are physically taller so they won't be quite as far down into the hole.

Fairly new to the 650 - how do you shim the bracket ?

8 hours ago, Jeff O said:

Fairly new to the 650 - how do you shim the bracket ?

Here's what I did, it's a very small/thin washer under the bracket.  Loosen the two bolts holding the bracket on, slide the shim in (tight fit), then tighten the bolts back up.

650shim.JPG

11 hours ago, Jeff O said:

Tan -

How thick is the washer ? No concern about setting one off in the press ?

Jeff

It's very thin, .020".  It's not crushing the Winchester Small Pistol primers, and I've loaded almost 3000 rounds with it set up this way now so no worries at all.  That photo is really zoomed in so it makes the washer look much larger than it is.  I've found that the primer depth is HIGHLY dependent upon the brass used, when I use new T&M brass making my match ammo I get .010" primer depth like a clock, when I use mixed used range brass making practice ammo it's anyone's guess from .010" to .002" working the press the exact same way.

In a match yesterday I had one light primer strike with a 15.5 pound hammer spring - made this modification to my press & shot 200 rounds today with a 13-pound spring and had zero w WSP's. It's now seating them .008 - .010 below flush.

Edited by Jeff O

19 minutes ago, Jeff O said:

In a match yesterday I had one light primer strike with a 15.5 pound hammer spring - made this modification to my press & shot 200 rounds today with a 13-pound spring and had zero w WSP's. It's now seating them .008 - .010 below flush.

You're golden!  I'm running 14 lb. spring and over 2000 rounds with no light strikes.  I should probably try 13 lb. spring but it's working so well now I don't think I'll change anything.